Mailbox hit by drunk driver

I’d jack it up and put some cinder blocks under it for a temporary fix while you wait on the driver’s insurance.

Then, switch everything you can to online billing/statements and brick that thing over a la Kramer.
IMG_5496.jpeg

I feel like this is the epitome of "not my problem" from USPS/carrier.
My dumb-mail-carrier story..... One day someone parked in front of our mailbox and the mail carrier didn't leave our mail that day. Their rule is apparently that they don't (have to) get our of their vehicle. She did leave a "notice" in our mailbox indicating why she didn't leave our mail. It said "Receptacle blocked".

My dumb-mail-carrier story..... One day someone parked in front of our mailbox and the mail carrier didn't leave our mail that day. Their rule is apparently that they don't (have to) get our of their vehicle. She did leave a "notice" in our mailbox indicating why she didn't leave our mail. It said "Receptacle blocked".
Yes, they left me one of those little postcards a number of times also - but they were nice enough to leave the mail as well. After like the 4th or 5th time I wrote a sticky on it saying "were not home during the day, and its not our car - feel free to call the police and have it towed". They stopped?

Going after the driver if known is obvious but doesn't get Chris his mail tomorrow. Putting a cement block or 2 under his box and raising the whole thing seems promising. Chris' problem is the people still getting their mail don't care that he isn't and most won't want to help fix it or chip in money.

This setup is very common in the southwest, see lots of them.

Going after the driver if known is obvious but doesn't get Chris his mail tomorrow. Putting a cement block or 2 under his box and raising the whole thing seems promising. Chris' problem is the people still getting their mail don't care that he isn't and most won't want to help fix it or chip in money.

This setup is very common in the southwest, see lots of them.
I can't lift my box up much of any as it's under the top rail

Whatever may happen to the top rail is whatever happens to the top rail since the neighbors seem to have the attitude that it's everyone for themselves. You are there to move your box back to its proper location. Is that thing above yours with the + on the front even USPS approved?

Since it all needs to be replaced anyway it may be better to not have any sort of stacked common structure and just say that each address has a certain footage to place their box. There seems to be a lot of road to work with.

Last edited:
There was a police report taken. Most of the other boxes can still be used.I already got a quote of $10k to build a new rack to that's out of the question.
No HOA I assume? Who's land are the boxes on now? It looks like some mailboxs are priced astronomically. $900 for 4 box unit?

box.jpg

A new box and post at Home Depo is like $30.

It’s either one or all. Tear it down and make it everyone’s problem. I’m betting the whole thing will be coming down soon anyways. Might just need a good wind or another drunk driver…

Is it a mean thing to do? Yep. But it’s going to teach folks to work together one way or another……

No. The boxes have to be in a certain place on the rack according to the mailman. I'm sure his deliveries are in an order. I can't put a pole on front of behind as my "spot" is on the lower rack per the post office. My box is not damaged but the post office rules dictate how high it has to be. It was too low already but he was letting it slide. Now it's way too low though. It's the white one I marked up. Only a couple of us are in this situation. The rest are ok according to the mailman.

View attachment 207748
I understand this and doesnt seem like your mailman (to me) is correct. If you have properly positioned mailbox on its own (for now) pole, he/she should deliver your mail. What the other mailboxes are damaged and where they are should not stop mail delivery if yours is correct. Others should have nothing to do with your mail getting delivered to a box that meets USPS regulations.
Anyway, I sympathize with your issue, good luck working it out. You really need to talk to someone higher up in the USPS. You can even go online right now to the website and file a complaint or request for service.

Last edited:
Mail boxes, signs, etc. should break away in a crash. Building something very solid right next to the road can be a liability.

Back