Yellow coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the coolant flushed on the 1991 Buick Park Avenue today. It was orange, so I assume at some time in its life it had Dexcool put in. There was some residue in the reservoir before also. Well I just went out and checked it to see what the shop put in, and they used yellow coolant. Not the green that this car calls for. What type of coolant is yellow? I know green is standard, orange, blue and pink are GM, Honda, and Toyota long life. What did they use?

Yellow sounds like the OAT dexcool without the dye. Storebrands and Prestones long life coolnats are a yellowish color.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Yellow sounds like the OAT dexcool without the dye. Storebrands and Prestones long life coolnats are a yellowish color.

+1 That be my guess too based on the info provided. An All Makes/Model Dexclone like Prestone or one of the many auto store brand or WM brand AFs.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Jimzz

+1 That be my guess too based on the info provided. An All Makes/Model Dexclone like Prestone or one of the many auto store brand or WM brand AFs.

So is this a good or bad thing? Better than green? worse than green?

^^^Well if it's had orange DexCool in the system, the Universal AM/M chemistry would be very similar without the trademark GM Dex name.

Better or worse than original green? Better from a longer life recommended service interval than original green. That's as long as the gaskets and orings are compatible with 2eha in Dex. I didn't see you mention any leaks.

But original green is what's spec'd for the vehicle, and if you decide to go that route you should get all the old orange/yellow out before going original green.

^^^Well if it's had orange DexCool in the system, the Universal AM/M chemistry would be very similar without the trademark GM Dex name.

Better or worse than original green? Better from a longer life recommended service interval than original green. That's as long as the gaskets and orings are compatible with 2eha in Dex. I didn't see you mention any leaks.

But original green is what's spec'd for the vehicle, and if you decide to go that route you should get all the old orange/yellow out before going original green.

Does anybody know if yellow is ok in a 1991 Park Avenue? Again, its had orange and I dont know of any leaks. But if the yellow is going to damage it then it needs to go.

I don't know how you're gonna see a yellow line against an translucent white reservoir bottle. The Dexcool pink would have been a lot easier to see.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Does anybody know if yellow is ok in a 1991 Park Avenue? Again, its had orange and I dont know of any leaks. But if the yellow is going to damage it then it needs to go.
gm used green until the 96 model year.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: gregk24

gm used green until the 96 model year.

Ok, so should this yellow be flushed? or is it find to use in green applications?

They used a modern "universal" anti-freeze/coolant that is compatible with many chemistries. You would have to ask them for the brand to know and refer to your owner’s manual to double check. I would not worry. Note you cannot tell by color as many manufactures have custom blends with unique dyes. A ford coolant is yellow and my old car used the same coolant but dyed it blue to keep the customers from servicing the vehicles (they even developed a unique tool to remove a screw to service the throttle body).

If this vehicle was mine, I'd probably flush the yellow/orange dex and go to the spec'd original green. Afaik there is no definite answer regarding use of Dex or Dexclone universal. If you want to know more about Dex and gasket compatibility read the link below paying particular attention to the first three paragraphs under Extra Sealing Protection. It could work fine, but there could be a possible gasket compatibility risk.

There are some others I'd consider like full strength G-05 and Peak Global Lifetime for there extended service properties and no 2eha, but trying to keep it simple.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

I don't see any issues with it. The All makes, all models is fine for your application which originally called for green. As long as all of the coolant was removed from the flush it should do just fine. My Equinox which has the 3.4 had gaskets who's material didn't do well with it but your system in 91 wont have any issues. Check the level after a few days and top off with the prestone all makes premix.

Zerex brand G-05 is yellow.

I think they did that because some HOAT is yellow, some is green, and some is orange. It could mix with the existing coolant without changing color.

I would ask the shop what they used so you know.

If it were mine I'd run Zerex G05 which is a perfect replacement and upgrade for anything that specified conventional green initially.

You could be possibly running into a gasket situation on that older model if the coolant doesn't play nice with it.

I use Zerex G05 in buick century since it doesn't contain a pressurized overflow tank and it's a personal favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back