Test drove a Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of years ago I had a rental yaris that I literally drove all around CA. I spent lots of hours in that car. Immediately after, I had a rental civic that I had for two weeks and also did a LOT of driving.

Id take the yaris anyday.

Im sure the civic is much better now, but so is the yaris. Of course, that may be a downside for the Yaris, since in the one I had, I fit well, the seats were like memory foam and very comforrtable, and the drivetrain very willing though not very powerful. It was good. If the yaris got heavier, it may not be as good.

Originally Posted By: supton
One year the road got bad enough that I would scrape the oil pan on the pavement--the ruts got real bad in one spot. Thankfully they fixed the road. Otherwise I have no plans on driving the car in the snow, I put snows onto my truck and I see no reason to not drive it (4x4 and snow tires). So I just need something with at least 4" of ground clearance, to deal with speed bumps. More would be better, the roads are not that great around here.

Would a Panther have a lower TCO and cost/mile than a Corolla or Yaris? Is it cheaper to repair one than a Corolla or Yaris? Pretty sure it's not as easy to park as one, but such is life. I did forget about those, as I was focusing on stuff that ought to kiss 40mpg.

I have no idea...but it might be much closer than you think. (Remember: these things are practically given away used.) Repairs are cheap, any shop an service them, parts are cheap. (Offhand, price brakes for both on Rock Auto.) No timing belt to replace, either.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
No timing belt to replace, either.

None on a Yaris or Corolla, either. But I agree with your point: the TCO on a Crown Vic will likely be pretty low. The driving experience, it should be noted, is very much not small car nimble as Supton is probably used to, but they ARE cheap to drive.

How is the price used versus new for the Yarii you were looking at. Does Toyota still offer the stripper model? IIRC a few years back some were getting those for ~12k new.

Supton,

Curious question:

How tall are you, and what is your shoe size?

I've always found smaller Toyota products to lack in legroom/footroom for myself.
I'm 6'1" with size 12 shoes, and a replaced left hip, and just haven't been able to get comfortable in the Yaris/Corolla/Camry in the past.

Completely different question than everyone else is asking, but it does play into why some people find certain cars comfortable while others don't.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I've always found smaller Toyota products to lack in legroom/footroom for myself.
I'm 6'1" with size 12 shoes, and a replaced left hip, and just haven't been able to get comfortable in the Yaris/Corolla/Camry in the past.

For me, it's Toyota's manual seats (well, the power ones will have the same cushion, but full adjustability would be a plus). Toyota's seats, at least the ones in their small cars, seem to be designed for short people. The seat cushion is pretty short, offering little thigh support. The Camry is better in that regard, than my Corolla was. But what really made them untenable for me in the long run is the adjustability of the manual seats. You can lift the handle repeatedly, and it'd pump up the seat, but the seat would lift up AND forward at the same time. This became QUITE uncomfortable to me...for in order to have the seat cushion to my desired height, the seat was throwing me forward out of it.

A full power seat likely would have eliminated that concern, especially on my Camry, where the seat physically fit me okay. I tried seat spacers to raise the seat frame. That helped some. Ultimately, a number of factors moved me out of the Camry, but that silly manual seat was one of them. I found legroom to be more than enough in the Camry (6'0" here, with size 11 shoes)...it was tight in the Corolla. But I loved how nimble that Corolla was that I had. It was an '07 model, 5-speed, and with some relatively sticky Yokohama tires. It was quite entertaining to flick around.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OP,
how much would YOU use the car, how much (planned) for projects, how much for trucking the kids around?

3-4 nights a week I need to pick the kids up, so that's about 9miles each time, not far at all. Otherwise it's a 100mile round trip to work, just about all highway. Decent chance outside of that I'd drive one of my other vehicles--Camry does ok for most weekend trips, and my truck for when we need to bring lots of junk with us (Christmas, camping, etc).

I'm sure I'll do some short trips on weekends, run to the store (20miles round trip to the closest one?). I usually avoid traveling to the city on weekends, I do most of my shopping on Amazon or while at work during the week.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
How is the price used versus new for the Yarii you were looking at. Does Toyota still offer the stripper model? IIRC a few years back some were getting those for ~12k new.

I'm sure that, if I assume a 200-250k lifespan, the cost/mile for new vs used is the same. Low depreciation. I'm still doing my shopping, and have not decided either way--but I'm inching very close to putting the Jetta up for sale while it still moves.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
But I agree with your point: the TCO on a Crown Vic will likely be pretty low. The driving experience, it should be noted, is very much not small car nimble as Supton is probably used to, but they ARE cheap to drive.

You know, I'm undecided if I want an "exciting" car to drive. I already drive like I'm from Mass, I hardly need any more encouragement!

But the Yaris is vastly more fun to drive than my Camry. Well, i put in 15miles or so, vs hours (days?) in the Camry. But the higher seating, better visibility and "could reach out and touch each corner" is kinda nice.

Supton,

Curious question:

BC.

I used to be 5'7", but seem to be hard pressed to claim 5'6" today (had to argue last time with the nurse). I wish my weight was inline with that, maybe this will be the year I get back to 150... I'm pushing 190 but my bottom half has something of a biker's build (once I drop the gut I won't fit into jeans).

My shoe size is a girly 9.5B. Or maybe it's an A. Shoe shopping is hard, and boots are impossible to find. My wife and I can practically share shoes... She's an inch taller, and when I drive her Camry I have to put the seat forward a click to be comfortable with the clutch. [She also does ballet, so she is used to using her toes.]

Would you believe I think my Tundra has less space around the driver than my Camry? It's weird. I'm 99% sure the wheel doesn't telescope; I need to check that. One thing I have against my Jetta is when I whack my shin against the dash--about once a year I take off several layers of skin getting out. I've had friends tell me I have short legs; but at a 30" inseam I don't think they are that short.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I have no idea...but it might be much closer than you think. (Remember: these things are practically given away used.) Repairs are cheap, any shop an service them, parts are cheap. (Offhand, price brakes for both on Rock Auto.) No timing belt to replace, either.

Hmm, I've long been a Ford hater, but you're right--I had forgotten about Panthers. A quick look at CL does indicate some cheap GM's. I'd prefer small and nimble, but cost/mile is my big criteria this time.

a RWD beast might be nice, will say that, for the novelty of it.

It would be a DRASTICALLY nicer car for a long commute than a Yaris. And honestly...don't limit yourself to 200k. I worked for a livery company, and the only time a Panther didn't stay in service past 350k was if it got hit. I did along run (Quincy to Albany & back) not long before I left...that Town Car had 580,000 miles on it. It was still quiet, drove nicely, and was happy to cruise down the Mass Pike at 80 with four big guys in it.

You can get a nice GM or TC with 100-150k miles for short money. I'm on my phone and can't do CL easily...I'll do more looking when I get home.

Oh, don't worry, 30sec indicated some decent hits. I just have to run some numbers. 25mpg is much lower than I was planning, and such a beast would be run when gas spikes in what, 2 years time?

I won't rule it out, I'll run some numbers and give it some thought. Thanks for the reminder!

If your commute is highway, 25 is low, if the car is geared properly. My friend's wife had a P71 Vic...she managed 25-27 on the highway, and that was with the P71's deeper gears. (I think 3.27's, many GM's got 2.73's.) Hers was totalled with 416,000 miles...in the 130K she put on it, all it needed were oil changes, a brake job, a belt, a set of plugs, and shocks.

And quite simply: I would expect a Panther car to run longer than a Yaris. 200K isn't when it's used up...that's when the cabbie buys it!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I do about 30K / year in my echo. I am 6'3" and 260lbs and yes, it is not too comfy.

Toyota Avalon ?

Supton,

Curious question:

Completely different question than everyone else is asking, but it does play into why some people find certain cars comfortable while others don't.

BC.

I'm nearly 6ft 5 and over 220 lbs. I don't fit in my MIL's Camry 2001 v6 due to the sunroof, or my SIL's 2010/2011 Corolla (without sunroof). The Yaris rental I had was just fine.

I'm starting to think I'm conversing with giants on the board...

Us big guys have slightly different vehicle requirements than people who are shorter than us.

My wife is 5'2", so just for her and I to agree on certain vehicles is a stretch, because she might have an issue with the way a hood slopes or doesn't slope, that gives her visibility issues, where as I can see over just about any hood on the market. Then there's steering wheel positioning, and how close it is to her chest, when she has the seat in her preferred position. For me, I have lots of issues with pedal positioning, and legroom, but I also have the extra wonderfulness of having had my left hip replaced several years back.

So, when you're in the normal height range of 5'5" through 5'10", just about any car works.

BC.

I have to say that the Panther is one of the few vehicles I have seen that can be comfortably driven by my mother (5'0") and one of the dudes I work with (6'6", ~330lbs-none of it fat-3' shoulders, 13EEE boots).

In fact, he drives a Town Car...because it's about the ONLY vehicle he can drive comfortably! (Though I won a bet when he COULD, in fact, fit comfortable in my wife's tiny Festiva.)

I test drove a yaris and a honda fit. The yaris felt like a car a drone would drive. Not much inside the car that feels or looks interesting. I think it would be perfect for a delivery vehicle or fleet vehicle.

Honda Fit- feels huge inside. Lots of seat room, leg room. Pockets and storage everywhere. Nice gauges and layout. Little to no road noise. Have taken a few hundred mile trips and I like it more than the camrys, accords and subarus we have had.

Both the honda fit and yaris have basically the same engine. 1.5L. I think the Fit has a 5speed auto vs the Yaris 4speed auto. (pre 2015 cvt).

There are tons of 400K to 500K testimonies on the Yaris/Echo.so no doubting that its bulletproof.

My personal review is Fit= fun, sporty, reliable, magic seats, excellent mpg. Yaris= reliable,excellent mpg, appliance, drone car.

There's also the option of picking up something used. Head a few hours south when shopping (CT or southern NY) and you'll find plenty of stuff a few years old without the head start on rust that cars get up in NH. My Jeep (still not outwardly rusty anywhere) has gained more rust on various bits of the undercarriage, bolts, etc. after 3.5 winters in Rochester than it did in 11 winters on Long Island and 1 in CT.

I plan to buy used. I really don't want to deal with "two years free service!" when I can do it myself. Let alone finance issues. Buying out of state is interesting, have not ruled it out.

There's no way I could commute 100 miles a day with a panther. The seats are so comfortable, they ride so nice ... I would fall asleep driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back