Test drove a Mitsubishi Mirage

I would like to drive a manual Versa.
Shopped one a couple years ago, the Local dealer had two examples of the elusive sticks.

I ewanted to like it. Worst new car and apparent quality I have driven in decades. The Spark was better, if lacking a bit in elbow room. The Sentra is a giant leap in performance and quality and Nissan is really a roll of the dice these days.

Why aren’t these “frugal” people buying the car then? To the point that Mitsubishi is stopping the sales in US of this model. Is Mitsubishi part of the conspiracy to push these frugal folks into the more expensive models?
Availability would be the #1 issue. You can't find a dealer to buy one let alone service it.

Shopped one a couple years ago, the Local dealer had two examples of the elusive sticks.

I ewanted to like it. Worst new car and apparent quality I have driven in decades. The Spark was better, if lacking a bit in elbow room. The Sentra is a giant leap in performance and quality and Nissan is really a roll of the dice these days.
I'm thinking of getting a manual sentra for my short commute and around town beater that will last until retirement. I don't enjoy driving to work in any vehicle, might as well save some $$.

Yea our company got them for $13k a couple years ago. It seems like they're a bit more popular now, I see a few a day now compared to none a few years ago.
His .

Review 1 year later .

Hers .

Review 6 months later at 6,000+ miles .

And .

There's other videos of how to change C.V.T. fluid along with the filter and many other helpful upkeeps and upgrades for the MIRAGEs .

Should've got one when they were under $11,000 :rolleyes: . Not willing to pay almost double for a '23 or '24 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
I bought a new 2019 Ford Fiesta S and paid $9995 plus tax. Manual, hand crank windows, but it had power locks and a backup camera. I’m sure a lot of people would have called it a penalty box but I thought it was a decent little short trip car, and $
I thought that car was an amazing deal for $11k. At $20k I would have chosen something else. But, were I buying a ultra-bargain car today I would pick a Versa with a stick. I would probably choose it over a late model Corolla or Civic at the same price because one of those in the same price range is either 12 years old or has close to 100k miles. Used cars are still priced way too close to used cars to consider anything used other than an older beater IMO.

Having a 0xx on the odometer and 3/5years of warranty has a tangible value.

See many FIESTAs . Test drove new hatch w/ the 5 speed manual and a sedan with the automatic many years ago . The sedan had a nasty rattle in or near the display .

I had always been intrigued by the Mirage, but am pretty skeptical of them now. My brother-in-law needed a car a few years ago and I found a good deal on a low mileage 2017 GT for him. He just sent it to the scrap heap at 57k miles with a failed CVT. He was past the 5 year warranty and the local Mitsubishi dealer quoted $10k for a new transmission. There weren’t any used transmissions available for it and several indy transmission shops he contacted about a rebuild said they weren’t able to get parts for it.

Our 2019 is a NA 1.8/CVT and we paid a bit less for that off lease with 15K (ish) miles, but the gas mileage out of it is also pretty crazy. I can easily get into the high 40s just by driving it lightly. It's also faster 0-60 than my 2001 Grand Marquis!

I wouldn't mind one of those SR / Nismo turbocharged 6 speed Sentras. I like how ours has a beam rear axle, cable parking brake, 134A AC system. Just makes for something that I can fix easily long term.
I had Sentra SE R Spec V (2.5 NA with 6MT) and it one of the funnest cars to drive.

Why aren’t these “frugal” people buying the car then? To the point that Mitsubishi is stopping the sales in US of this model. Is Mitsubishi part of the conspiracy to push these frugal folks into the more expensive models?

Mainly because the Mitsubishi dealer network is sparse. A lot of dealers just quit over the past several years.

I don’t think Renault Nissan is putting any effort into Mitsubishi as far as the American market is concerned.

1697751035265.jpg

I had always been intrigued by the Mirage, but am pretty skeptical of them now. My brother-in-law needed a car a few years ago and I found a good deal on a low mileage 2017 GT for him. He just sent it to the scrap heap at 57k miles with a failed CVT. He was past the 5 year warranty and the local Mitsubishi dealer quoted $10k for a new transmission. There weren’t any used transmissions available for it and several indy transmission shops he contacted about a rebuild said they weren’t able to get parts for it.

But according to folks here on Bitog there is no reason to own a manual transmission because all automatic transmission’s last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Just adds to the stack of reasons I drive manuals

From what I can Tell you can’t own a Nissan, Ford or Kia car with an automatic as they are garbage , add Mitsu to the stack.

I have a 2017 Fiesta. Bought right after I lost my vehicles in the great Harvey flood. Its a mid package, with power everything except seats, and alloy wheels. 41 mpg. I love the thing. I will drive it til the end.

Mainly because the Mitsubishi dealer network is sparse. A lot of dealers just quit over the past several years.

I don’t think Renault Nissan is putting any effort into Mitsubishi as far as the American market is concerned.

They're not: They left europe to Renault and USA to Nissan. I believe the markets that Mitsubishi will focus on are Oceania and Asia

It’s a shame a car like this is not successful in the US. It would do a lot of people good to save money on a depreciating asset. If I was forced into buying a new car, this would be a consideration, especially a manual transmission.
78hp is unacceptable on our highways, that's just fact.

This has been the problem with Mitsubishi Motors US forever. No dealerships. If you had a line of dealerships, people would buy the things.

One of the big multi-brand dealer chains in the Buffalo NY area took on the Mitsubishi line recently. Prior to that, there was one stand alone store that changed names 2-3x and then closed completely. We had no Mitsubishi store for a few years.

I personally could deal with the sparse dealer network thing if the vehicle line was priced accordingly. ~$22K for a Mirage? No way.

The 78hp doesn't scare me. It's probably not terrible coupled to a MT or CVT. Then again, I'm OK with our 90hp 2015 Nissan Versa with the old school 4spd automatic.

Back