Test drove a Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
30k a year for the last 2 years in my Yaris, and while it's not the king of comfort by any stretch, it's also not horrible.

Then again I'm not all that picky about comfort when all I use the thing for is getting from one place to another.

Originally Posted By: shadow7
Originally Posted By: Subdued
I have an 07 Yaris sedan. I really like the car.

It has 113k miles on it and still drives like a new car. The only issues ive had:

Cat heat shield fell off (I live in the rust belt)
I need to replace an engine mount

It still has the original battery and brakes.

The 1NZ-FE is one of the best motors toyota has made. The thing is just ridiculously reliable.

+1 couldn't agree more. The water pump is the only thing that needs replacing soon at 80k

Oooh, right, I did replace the water pump at 90K but it was proactive.

I do about 30K / year in my echo. I am 6'3" and 260lbs and yes, it is not too comfy. Most of my trips are < 1 hour so not a big deal, but several times a year I'm going to western VA @ about 500 miles one way, tortuous. I'm not choosing a car for the 3% of long driving I do.

+1 on the 1NZ-FE reliability; At this point I'm afraid to buy any other car except the Yaris as a replacement. Good chance EVERYTHING might be a disappointment longevitywise

Quote:

It has crank windows, YES!

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think if you keep both a Sonic/Cruze and a Corolla/Yaris for 150K plus miles then the definition of "penalty box" might change in relation to one side and it ain't the Toyota. I would agree that neither the Corolla or Yaris have any soul but I'd probably be happier with one if I was going to keep it for 150-200K miles and didn't have any predilections about it being a "almost ultimate driving machine" versus a useful, adequate transportation appliance that didn't break.

*raises hand* I have 100k miles on my Cruze. It's been pretty darned reliable. The interior is rattle-free, and wearing very well. Don't knock it before you try it.

I had the opportunity to spend 4 days in a rental 2011 Yaris sedan on my then 100+ mile a day commute a year and a half ago or so when my Cruze was in the body shop after being rear-ended. IIRC it was a decent little car, if a bit lacking in power. A manual would have made better use of the engine's power. The car was also pretty noisy at highway speed, and got blown around a bit. A bit more fatiguing to drive long distances. I was glad to hand it back when my Cruze was ready. Much more comfortable for a long-distance commute.

I actually like the Cruze a lot but it's an apples and oranges thing comparing the two when there are more comfortable, more powerful, and better driving subcompacts than the Yaris. I admit to driving a 2013 Hyundai Accent hatchback which IMO is a much better commuter and long distance comfort car than the Yaris. If nothing else it's got considerably more power while still getting 33-35 MPG combined. I'm not big on Fiestas but they're considerably more comfortable than the Yaris. The Yaris is dated in many ways which is probably true of several current Toyotas. In my own experience, I've never had any GM car that "delivered" over the 100-150K mile mark like a Toyota. That's just my bias...I got rid of a 2009 Mazda 3 I bought new when the variable valve timing actuator and the top tensioner assembly failed within four months of each other at 79K miles...probably won't be buying another Mazda either...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: rjundi
I cannot fathom commuting 20k/year in a sub compact. All of them are miserable for the duty I have rented Fiesta, Yaris, Sonic and ridden in FIT.

Been doing it for the last 10+ years in my Jetta. Taken a few trips at upwards of 11hr in the seat. The two Yarii I drove were more quiet than my Jetta I think.

The older Jetta has significantly higher interior bits then the low dollar cars you are considering. You considering bargain barrel cars where car makers strip out what they can to offer low price. Jetta never really fell into that category until recent generation but you can still get the premium parts if you are willing to pay $25k+!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I do about 30K / year in my echo. I am 6'3" and 260lbs and yes, it is not too comfy.

Wow. Doing 30K miles a year, even if you average 40 mph, that's about 750 hours in the car per year. I'd be willing to pay extra for comfort if I had to drive so much. Otherwise, I'd probably be paying for a chiropractor instead.
smile.gif

From what you guys are saying the Yaris and other sub-compacts are getting worse gas mileage than my 2014 Corolla . With over 7000 miles of not re-setting my odometer my dash read out is at 37.7 mpg average . Over the summer it was 38.5 mpg average. The car is comfortable looks good in and out . The dash bears a striking resemblance of the Avalon . Ride comfort is good . Also with my CVT tranny at 70mph I am only doing 1900 rpm`s. Love the car.

The subcompacts (unless engineered as such - Mirage) are just small and cheap. They don't have the aerodynamics of a larger vehicle.

I like the yaris. Simple, ultra reliable car. We need more of those on the road. I was considering getting one instead of the Focus, along with a bunch of other vehicles, but they were too expensive.

The yaris doesn't necessarily deliver that much better MPG than other small cars. I don't think it has very good aerodynamics.

I think they are best for a small cheap car in the city because they are easy to park.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

The older Jetta has significantly higher interior bits then the low dollar cars you are considering. You considering bargain barrel cars where car makers strip out what they can to offer low price. Jetta never really fell into that category until recent generation but you can still get the premium parts if you are willing to pay $25k+!

It certainly was back in its day, and it's still nice today, but still. As it's gotten noticeably louder (various things falling off) I'm learning that I don't care. While I'd rather sit in a dead-silent car on my drive--I haven't exactly died while doing so.

Call me crazy but I just want a cheap car. That is easy to fix, and doesn't have rust on it. A decade of searching out specialty shops has left me jaded. I'm busy doing other things. Anything I get is going to disintegrate so why not buy a cheap car? I can always get a "better" car a decade or two from now, preferably when I'm not driving 25k+ a year, or when my expenses are much lower (kids out of house).

Originally Posted By: shadow7
I have an 07 Yaris sedan. I really like the car.

It has 113k miles on it and still drives like a new car. The only issues ive had:

Cat heat shield fell off (I live in the rust belt)
I need to replace an engine mount

It still has the original battery and brakes.

The 1NZ-FE is one of the best motors toyota has made. The thing is just ridiculously reliable.

+1 couldn't agree more. The water pump is the only thing that needs replacing soon at 80k

Oooh, right, I did replace the water pump at 90K but it was proactive.

Did the water pump on my 1NZ-FE-equipped xB at 114k - bearings started growling and it developed a slow leak. Did the belts and hoses while I was in there. Replaced OE battery at 128k. Shocks and struts at 144k. Exhaust at 151k. The rest has been brake pads, tires, plugs, fluids, and filters.

OP,
since you drive more than the average of 10-15k per year, can you take them for a longer drive? 20+ miles?
just to check the seats...
i have the 08 sedan with AT and it does goes blown in the winds...
it seems good tires and a stabilizer bar would (kind of) fix that
other options (since you come from a wagon...):
-Toyota XB
-honda Fit ( has the manual still...?)
-mazda5

good luck

Seriously: what about a Grand Marquis? Bank-vault silent on good tires, rock-solid 300,000+ mile reliability, practically given away used, and 25-28mpg on the highway.

OP (supton),
just remember something (your driveway):
in winter, even with winter tires, what minimum ground clearance you need?

One year the road got bad enough that I would scrape the oil pan on the pavement--the ruts got real bad in one spot. Thankfully they fixed the road. Otherwise I have no plans on driving the car in the snow, I put snows onto my truck and I see no reason to not drive it (4x4 and snow tires). So I just need something with at least 4" of ground clearance, to deal with speed bumps. More would be better, the roads are not that great around here.

Would a Panther have a lower TCO and cost/mile than a Corolla or Yaris? Is it cheaper to repair one than a Corolla or Yaris? Pretty sure it's not as easy to park as one, but such is life. I did forget about those, as I was focusing on stuff that ought to kiss 40mpg.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Have you considered a Corolla? Or are they not as good on gas?

Haven't ruled out, but really was looking for cheapest yet most reliable. Corolla is more in demand... kinda/sorta. I haven't driven one yet, or it's been years. For something that I plan on simply racking up miles doing highway Corolla isn't out of the running.

I was looking at Echo before I bought my Jetta. Some tastes never change I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back