Discount Tire Has Done Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well this has been a pretty good week for me and Discount Tire, I feel much better about them.

The Beetle has had 4 Michelin HydroEdge tires that have been awful but after about 62,000 miles on them I can't complain too much. I had a flat this morning and brought it in on the spare. They found a puncture in the sidewalk and replaced it under the road hazard warranty. Paid $30 for a new warranty. While waiting they came back in and offered to replace another tire under the road hazard warranty. It was bald on one side because the Beetle has bad control arm bushings at one point (now fixed) so they replaced that one too. I'm not a Michelin fan so I had them put on Pirelli Cinturato P7's on the rear and my 2 older ones on the front. One of the front tires is a defective tire and is cupped (was a warrantied out tire a few years ago, only one that cupped) and it was pretty wild on the freeway when I left, wandered left and right for about 8 miles, then I got on a curve at about 70 mph and the stability control light was flashing and it was applying brakes to certain wheels to keep control of the car on the turn, was a little scary. I turned around and went back to Discount Tire where the guy I dealt with came out and asked what was wrong (because I returned) and I asked if they could rotate the new tires onto the front and told him what happened. He then said "How about we warranty replace those ones out too so you've got 4 new tires" and they're now replacing the other 2. $719 worth of Pirelli's for the cost of $120 to renew the road hazard certificates. 2 of the old tires had 7/32" of tread, the one with the wearing issues had 5/32" and the cupped one had 9/32".

A few days ago I took in my grandmothers '02 Trailblazer LTZ to a different Discount Tire for a deep crack on the sidewall. It had Michelin Cross Terrains. These tires were really badly dry cracked (have a thread here called "Replacing the Dry Cracked Michelins" about this). They warrantied out the one tire and prorated the other 3. They had 9/32" of tread after about 12-13,000 miles. $345 out the door for $860 worth of tires. (Replaced with Continental Cross Contact LX20's)

Supposedly Discount Tire has a 3 year road hazard warranty but the tires on the Beetle were put on just over 3 1/2 years ago and the Trailblazer's tires were just over 3 years ago. Trailblazer 3 years ago had the tires replaced under warranty at 6 years old for dry cracking and splitting at the sidewalk.

What a great customer service experience.

Stories like these are great for you, but should not be shared in the public domain since it is clear that policies were violated. The person who did you a favor could lose their job if they trace this story back to the particular repair order.

Judging from some posts in the past, DT does watch this forum.

I work at another tire shop (not Discount) and also occasionally discount things for good customers ... it's not very often though and i'm sure the managers wouldn't be too happy about it lol.

It is good customer service, but don't expect it all the time because we can only stretch the policies so much before we put our jobs at risk lol.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Stories like these are great for you, but should not be shared in the public domain since it is clear that policies were violated. The person who did you a favor could lose their job if they trace this story back to the particular repair order.

I don't think they really broke any policies. 1 tire had a puncture in the sidewall, road hazard warranty used. Another was bald from an alignment issue, they replaced it under road hazard because they didn't feel it was safe. Another tire was replaced under warranty because I told him it was the only odd-ball tire that was cupped, obviously defective and he agreed. The 4th was replaced in good customer service I believe coupled also with me telling him they sound like an airplane going down the road it's so loud (always has been) and also with it road-wild, not safe tires to drive on, still had tread, they were defective and replaced under the road hazard warranty.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I don't think they really broke any policies. 1 tire had a puncture in the sidewall, road hazard warranty used. Another was bald from an alignment issue, they replaced it under road hazard because they didn't feel it was safe. Another tire was replaced under warranty because I told him it was the only odd-ball tire that was cupped, obviously defective and he agreed. The 4th was replaced in good customer service I believe coupled also with me telling him they sound like an airplane going down the road it's so loud (always has been) and also with it road-wild, not safe tires to drive on, still had tread, they were defective and replaced under the road hazard warranty.

Couple things - 1) The certificates are only valid for 3 years. 2) I need to check my copy at home, but issues resulting from mechanical defects (suspension issues and alignment) are not covered.

#1 is really the biggest issue here. Big issue.

Edit - I found a copy of the agreement:

Conditions and Exclusions
Non-commercial service includes use by the owner in his/her regular trade or business but excludes commercial truck, racing, off-the-highway, taxi, limousine, or similar service. Passenger, SUV or light truck tire road hazard warranty (if applicable) does not apply to tires used on commercial trucks, recreational vehicles or off-the-highway service. Mileage warranty (if applicable) applies only to tire's original purchaser on the car, SUV or light truck on which originally installed. These warranties do not cover tire damage, destruction or failure from fire, vandalism, or accident, irregular or premature tread wear caused by improper inflation, misalignment, or imbalance of wheels, worn out shock absorbers or brakes, damage or failure due to other non-tire causes such as being run flat, mechanical condition of vehicle, cut from rim or chains, or any willful abuse. A tire is not adjustable for problems of appearance after the first 10% of wear. All Certificates expire three (3) years from the date of purchase or at such time that the tire has less than the legal tread depth (3/32") across the tread, whichever first occurs. Terms of manufacturers' warranties may differ.

Last edited:
Leave it to BITOG to try to step on and ruin everything. I don't understand why everybody loves when everything goes only by the books.

It's called good customer service. Sometimes you help a customer out so that they become a future customer and prevent you from going to their competitor. I've gone into the dealership with an issue with my car and they didn't charge me a diagnostic fee like they said they were going to.

It just goes to show that some stores go out of their way to please their customers. As far as some "raining on the parade" the Internet is full of negativism....why not here.

Originally Posted By: CKN
It just goes to show that some stores go out of their way to please their customers. As far as some "raining on the parade" the Internet is full of negativism....why not here.
Yup. And it's worked. My mom's car will need tires soon and so will my brother's Jeep. Discount Tire has shown great customer service and they'll be future Discount Tire customers as well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Yup. And it's worked. My mom's car will need tires soon and so will my brother's Jeep. Discount Tire has shown great customer service and they'll be future Discount Tire customers as well.

Maybe they will give you free tires as a good customer?

Replaced under "road hazard" because "they didn't think it was safe". That's a pretty strange interpertation of a "road hazard" warrantee when the cause had nothing to do with a tire problem caused by something on the road causing damage. What they did in fact was lie to Michelin about why they were handing out free tires. I guess that's OK so long as YOU benefit.

Road Hazard warranties are simply an insurance policy. Some people will use them (file a claim), the majority won't. DT (or whoever issues the policy) still comes out moeny ahead overall.

I routinely use them for online orders, but do not have a local DT that I use for the actual work, so I can't comment on their services. Usually I get tires installed + alignment check and never see the shop until its time for new ones (DIY oil & rotations).

The critic had now idea why it was ultimately replaced. The store told the poster "road hazard". Sure/maybe. The store replaced it for whatever reason. We don't know ultimately how it was handled internally. I worked in distribution 25 plus years (in sales)and I can tell you first hand if you have a personal relationship with a Factory Representative......things can happen that don't normally happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Road Hazard warranties are simply an insurance policy. Some people will use them (file a claim), the majority won't. DT (or whoever issues the policy) still comes out moeny ahead overall.

I routinely use them for online orders, but do not have a local DT that I use for the actual work, so I can't comment on their services. Usually I get tires installed + alignment check and never see the shop until its time for new ones (DIY oil & rotations).
Road harard warrantees are provided by the manufacturer (although there may be others) which is why you can take a damaged Michelin , for example, to a Michelin dealer other than the one who sold it and get a replacement. The charge back goes to Michelin. There's NO "tire Fairy".

I too had an excellent experience with DTD direct recently. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them again. Going above and beyond for a customer is how to set yourself apart from the competition. Good stuff, and if DTD thinks firing someone who tries to do the right thing for their customers than thats a company I dont want to do business with. This guy should be praised for his work and dedication to his customers because I know you and many others will support him with your future business because of his honesty.

Last edited:
Leave it to BITOG to try to step on and ruin everything. I don't understand why everybody loves when everything goes only by the books.

It's called good customer service. Sometimes you help a customer out so that they become a future customer and prevent you from going to their competitor. I've gone into the dealership with an issue with my car and they didn't charge me a diagnostic fee like they said they were going to.
Maybe some of us understand WE are paying MORE for Michelin tires when Michelin eats a road hazard warranty claim on a tire damaged by owner neglect. Why reward owner neglect?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Maybe some of us understand WE are paying MORE for Michelin tires when Michelin eats a road hazard warranty claim on a tire damaged by owner neglect. Why reward owner neglect?
I'm pretty sure Michelin doesn't eat the cost, that Discount Tire does. There's no way Michelin eats the cost when a screw goes into the sidewall of a tire. That's on Discount Tire's own road hazard policy.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I too had an excellent experience with DTD direct recently. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them again. Going above and beyond for a customer is how to set yourself apart from the competition. Good stuff, and if DTD thinks firing someone who tries to do the right thing for their customers than thats a company I dont want to do business with. This guy should be praised for his work and dedication to his customers because I know you and many others will support him with your future business because of his honesty.
THAT'S what you call making Michelin eat tires which were NOT damaged by a road hazard? Meanwhile, Michelin makes a little "adjustment" in the price of tires to cove for the higher "road hazard" costs.

THAT'S what you call making Michelin eat tires which were NOT damaged by a road hazard? Meanwhile, Michelin makes a little "adjustment" in the price of tires to cove for the higher "road hazard" costs.

You're a little confused about tire warranties. I know a decent amount about them because I worked in a retail tire shop for about four years.

For the purpose of this discussion there are three types of tire warranties:
-Tire manufacturer defect warranties. These cover things like broken belts, abnormal dryrotting and other things deemed manufacturing and material defects. These do not cover road hazards.

-Road hazard warranties sold by the retailer. Pretty much every tire chain sells these as an option when you buy tires. They're like any other extended warranty sold by a retailer, in that they're separate and additional to the factory warranty.

-Road hazard warranties provided by the tire manufacturers. These are pretty rare and generally have big restrictions like they only are active for the first 2/32" of treadwear or something.

For example, the current Michelin replacement tire warranty booklet specifically says road hazards are not covered under the manufacturer warranty:
Quote:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
This warranty does not cover tires damaged due to
misuse, abuse or accident such as
:
– Road hazards (e.g., cuts, snags, bruises, impact damage or punctures)

It's pretty clear the OP's tires were warrantied under the aftermarket road hazard warranty sold by DT. That means Michelin will not "eat" any cost in this situation.

The exclusions quoted above by the Critic are the wording of DT's aftermarket road hazard warranty, not an official Michelin warranty.

Now, if DT was trying to sneak a road hazard claim in under the factory defect warranty, then you would have a valid complaint. But, it would likely be noticed (especially if they were consistently trying it) and rejected.

Back on the original topic,
It seems DT gives their local stores and store managers a lot of leeway to make deals and secure sales. They seem very focused on making customers happy and beating other places on price.

We just got the first DT in our area. I just bought a set of tires there and was overall quite impressed. They're going to be my first stop for tires in the future.

Leave it to BITOG to try to step on and ruin everything. I don't understand why everybody loves when everything goes only by the books.....

Not really bitog just some individuals. Difficult for some to think outside the box. Kinda like espousing always using only oem parts and fluids. Or only having your vehicle serviced only by the dealer. Best practice I've found is to just ignore it and do as you see fit based on your own research and personal experience.

As for the Certs, I was once asked if I wanted purchase them and mentioned to guy that it says they are only good for three years. He response was to the effect, that's what it says, but we will honor it far longer than that. And that goes along with my DT experience, the stores have great leeway when it comes to pricing, warranty service. IME, they always work with the customer. And I highly doubt anyone will be in any kind of trouble even if DT happen to read this thread.

IME, customer service and going the extra mile is the priority at DT. Also one of the reasons why I haven't purchased tires elsewhere since they came to the area ten years ago. Excellent folks to deal with both during and after the sale.

Thanks for your post, glad your experience mirrors mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back