Valvoline to Mobile 1- Truck Runs better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnsbymike
Originally Posted By: Garak
From Penzoil: "Pennzoil does not recommend extending oil drain intervals beyond the "severe service" maintenance interval of three months or 3,000 miles." Penzoil was born before the Great Depression and is still in business.

Pennzoil is in the business to sell oil, don't forget.

That statement I believe is true. It goes both ways. The car manufactures make more money when they bump the oil change intervals to 7,500 or 10,000 too. = More vehicles sold over a life time.
wink.gif

1.2 Million Mile Truck - 400 oil changes in his life = 3,000 Mile Oil Changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSunY_w957Q

Million Mile Vehicle - 3,000 mile oil changes

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/new...ed-cars#slide-1

Another 1 million miles: *Note* "Harman credits 3000-mile oil changes as the longevity"
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/new...ed-cars#slide-9

Now you can show me all the paper, "data", and test you want. But show me some sources, some videos, pictures, and car fax's of some cars going 1 million, even 750,000 miles on 10,000 mile oil changes and YOU MIGHT make me a believer otherwise. I've PERSONALLY seen the difference in my equipment, and I believe automobiles are the same way, the oil and air filter determines the whole life of the vehicle.

You can show me all the test in the world, but you can't show me personally any 1 million mile vehicles with 10,000 mile oil changes, you just WILL NOT see it. We're not talking about "over-hauled" or rebuilt engines neither. 200,000 miles on 10k oil changes, 4300,000? Possibly. I'd wager when you near 300,000 on 10,000 oil changes either the 10k intervals starts showing in the engine, if not long before and the myths and question-ability of the longevity of these "super oils" would come suspect quick.

Although we may disagree on OCi, this is not an unreasonable post if someone was interested in keeping their vehicle past 500k miles.
wink.gif

Last edited:
For an average vehicle with a 5QT sump and average cost of OTC oil/filters it would be:

1.2MM (3K OCI) = 400 OCs * $20 = $8,000 (5QT Conventional + Filter)

1.2MM (10K OCI) = 120 OCs * $30 = $3,600 (5QT Synthetic + Filter)

Is it worth it to spend the extra $4,400 for the 3K OCI? The only person who can answer that is the owner of the vehicle or the one funding the choice.

10,000 mile oil that is contaminated and circulated in the engine is not as good for an engine, the seals, the metal, or any of the parts internally in the engine, no matter what any test, pen and paper, or Johnny the TECH says.

Oil DOES NOT get contaminated. Unless you leave the valve cover off, no air filter and cover off. The engine compartment is sealed by hoses, covers, and caps. Which is why you can powerwash it to your arms fall off and water will not get in.

Motor oil is for lubricating the internal parts of the motor.

Coolant is a fluid which flows through or around a device to prevent its overheating, transferring the heat produced by the device to other devices that use or dissipate it.

The color/colour of oil has nothing to do with it being dirty. My oil blackens after 800 miles does that mean I have to do 800 mile OCIs? No. In fact I did 5K the first half of its life with 10w30 and the 2nd I did 6500 to 9000 with thicker oil (10w40), and once I let it goto 11.3K on conventional. Oh and 90% of my driving was 3-5 mile trips in the city.

If I didn't have a PCV valve design flaw on the car I would do a M1 EP 30K OCI, even though its guarantee to go 15K and not sweat one moment about pushing Mobil 1 EP to 30,000 miles with an NAPA Platinum filter.

Americans are use to having their oil amber. While Royal Purple oil is purple. And fuel in Europe is green. Hydraulic fluid is red.

Sweet Crude smells sweet...and in a blind taste test most if not all would drink it not knowing its for your vehicle.

What about Transmission fluid being "good" for 100,000 miles?

When the Suzuki Hayabusa originally came out in 1999, the oil filter manufacturer HAD to change the oil filter filtration level because it filtered the new oil so good that it clogged in a closed environment.

For me I grew up when Pennzoil had high levels Paraffin wax in it. But today I saw the UOA and photos where people used Pennzoil Ultra and under the valve covers were like new. Its different today then 40+ years ago. I still have motor oil in the original cardboard/tin cans

2002 Chevrolet 5.3 Vortec engine

So what does your Owner's Manual say about oil intervals?

Mobil states:
Our recommendation is to "always follow the oil change frequencies shown in your owner's manual"; however, Mobil 1 is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended oil drain intervals. If you decide to go longer between oil change intervals, we recommend that you continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters or more frequent oil filter changes are not required. Our Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters provide outstanding protection during longer oil change intervals.

Now you can show me all the paper, "data", and test you want. But show me some sources, some videos, pictures, and car fax's of some cars going 1 million, even 750,000 miles on 10,000 mile oil changes and YOU MIGHT make me a believer otherwise. I've PERSONALLY seen the difference in my equipment, and I believe automobiles are the same way, the oil and air filter determines the whole life of the vehicle.

My taxi fleet vehicles got 6,000 mile OCIs (when 3,000 was the norm) on Quaker State conventional 10w-30 from the late 1970s to the early 1990s (and beyond with different viscosities). They lasted hundreds of thousands of miles without concern. The bodies died long before the engines, and there was no sludge.

An older engine with a carburetor are different. Fuel injection has its advantages. I like clean oil on my dipstick.But 3000 miles is just a waste. Then again, i only use synthetic oil.The current small block Chevy is pretty good.The transmission? I don't know.
This site is very opinionated. If the guy wants to change his oil every month.More power to him.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
If the guy wants to change his oil every month.More power to him.

They're afraid he's gonna use all the oil up.
grin2.gif

If in doubt, drain it out.
I would rather pay less, change the oil
more often and at a time when it suits my schedule,
than use the most expensive oil I can find just to
extend the OCI.
I just changed my Duramax oil with 27% left on the OLM.
12,000 km since Sept 2nd is long enough.
I'm wasting resources?
The used oil is going to the recycle depot, but since it
is still serviceable, maybe I should send it to Clevy.
SAE 30 Duron, UOA to follow in a few days.

I used to be anal and do the 3K oil changes at dealer mostly....
I got tired of that about 10 years ago, when I first joined BITOG, picked up some oil knowledge, and started running HDEO for most of my applications.

I now do oil changes twice a year.. usually once in the spring and once in the fall. for me that works out to about 5000-7500 between every oil change now.

I think with the modern oils, you can comfortably go 5K without even starting to worry about your oil.
There have been a couple of instances when I have gone over 8K on my OCI, and i worried more about the oil filter, than the oil. I love the color of the dark amber oil after a few thousand miles...tells you the oil is doing it's job like it should.

The uoa indicated I could have gone 20,000Km instead of
The next step will be 16,000 km instead of pushing my luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back