dedicated snows vs all seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they had steelies at 50 a pop i probably wouldve pulled the trigger and got tire wheel combo from tire rack. didn't have them in my vehicles size either, only 100$ rims...

the hankook's are definitely softer on the road than the goodyears. now i just need this place to fix my alignment after they messed it up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

... In any winter conditions, the only speed at which all-seasons are as safe as winter tires is 0.0 MPH.

Agreed... all-seasons excluding snowy winters...? Maybe they should print THAT on the tire...!

I watched in stunned disbelief today as a new Range Rover could not make it up an icy incline today, and the middle aged woman was embarrased to the point of tears. She had to back up , turn around, and go a different route...

Her tire choice, on her $ 70 000 + truck...? High performance SUMMER tires ... ! NO FREAKIN' CLUE...

She's probably shopping for a new car now, because the RANGE ROVER was SO BAD in the winter...

With the right tires, that SUV is probably about as good as you can get for winter driving...!

Originally Posted By: geeman789
She's probably shopping for a new car now, because the RANGE ROVER was SO BAD in the winter...

And if anyone ever explains the tire thing...

[uncomfortable pause] "Yeah, well, I dunno... I just think I should be able to get up a hill, you know?"

... In any winter conditions, the only speed at which all-seasons are as safe as winter tires is 0.0 MPH.

Agreed... all-seasons excluding snowy winters...? Maybe they should print THAT on the tire...!

I watched in stunned disbelief today as a new Range Rover could not make it up an icy incline today, and the middle aged woman was embarrased to the point of tears. She had to back up , turn around, and go a different route...

Her tire choice, on her $ 70 000 + truck...? High performance SUMMER tires ... ! NO FREAKIN' CLUE...

With the right tires, that SUV is probably about as good as you can get for winter driving...!

When you tell that story, I get a mental image of the hill where I live. And all of the high dollar SUVs on performance summer tires struggling to get up or pinballing down.

A co-worker of mine was wondering the same thing

Her audi with quattro had 19" wheels with max summer tires on it.
This was circa 2002.
She kept missing work because she couldn't get out of her driveway.

She was really angry. Ended up going to the dealer and they sold her some factory wheels and snow tires for 3000$

I can just picture her in that range rover complaining about how bad it was lol.

Additionally I saw her with the winter tires on in august.. "because it just goes better"
09.gif

luckily she moved or I dont know if I could have explained with a straight face how she wore out her winter tires by running them all summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
A co-worker of mine was wondering the same thing

Her audi with quattro had 19" wheels with max summer tires on it.
This was circa 2002.
She kept missing work because she couldn't get out of her driveway.

She was really angry. Ended up going to the dealer and they sold her some factory wheels and snow tires for 3000$

I can just picture her in that range rover complaining about how bad it was lol.

Additionally I saw her with the winter tires on in august.. "because it just goes better"
09.gif

luckily she moved or I dont know if I could have explained with a straight face how she wore out her winter tires by running them all summer.

Reason for that is bcs people in the U.S> consider driving as a right not a privilege. They think that driving is same as 1st Amendment.
My father was teaching me how god rive, car stuff etc. But in Europe, at least in Bosnia, you cannot pass driving test if:
1. You do not know how to parallel park.
2. You do not know how to start moving on the hill with hand break on from stand still. If car goes back, you fail.
3. If you do not know how to check oil, coolant fluid (they ask you why you cannot open expansion bottle while car is hot), washer fluid.
4. Yes they conduct driving test in snow (when I was doing test, there was packed snow on the road and 3ft on the side). When I arrived to Alabama, went to do driving test there was a sign on the door: NO ROAD TESTS DURING RAIN!

I think we seriously need to reconsider how we teach people to drive. However, I think it is impossible, especially now when cars have computer checking oil, bcs they are made for a generation that grew up playing video games.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

When you tell that story, I get a mental image of the hill where I live. And all of the high dollar SUVs on performance summer tires struggling to get up or pinballing down.

Ever saw the video of Portland, Oregon the week where they got freak winter weather? The best idea was to stay home, but a lot of people got out. There was one driver in a Volvo SUV who pinballed and kept on trying to power his way out until he just gave up and slid down an icy street and came to a stop against another car. Then there were the RWD cars with summer tires that just weren't getting anywhere. Part of it was that it was right under freezing and there was a lot of ice rather than a lot of snow.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

2. You do not know how to start moving on the hill with hand break on from stand still. If car goes back, you fail.

I'd fail for that one. I can start out on a hill and not roll back ... using the brake, gas and clutch and not wear anything out. I can't do the handbrake trick. Was never able to do that.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Ever saw the video of Portland, Oregon the week where they got freak winter weather? The best idea was to stay home, but a lot of people got out. There was one driver in a Volvo SUV who pinballed and kept on trying to power his way out until he just gave up and slid down an icy street and came to a stop against another car. Then there were the RWD cars with summer tires that just weren't getting anywhere. Part of it was that it was right under freezing and there was a lot of ice rather than a lot of snow.

That's awesome! ... or sad!

I love watching videos like that. It shows that MOST drivers DO NOT know how to handle a vehicle in the ice. There's one where they are always wrecking on hills.

The people would have been able to avoid each other if they tried to brake *OR* turn. Seems that everyone's instincts in the ice when they start to slide is crank the steering wheel against the lock and push the brake pedal to the floor.

Not sure it would have helped in that situation roads were actually fairly steep.. which the video doesnt show well.

www.autofile.ca/Article/125/Autofile-Tire-Test-%E2%80%93-Goodyear-UltraGrip-Ice-WRT

That article mentions GT Radial. I guess the Chinese brands are producing snow tires?

One of the cars in the parking lot at work has Runway brand snow tires.

That article mentions GT Radial. I guess the Chinese brands are producing snow tires?
Actually, GT Radial from GITI is a Singaporean company with factories in China.

Yes, it snows in China.

Originally Posted By: chado_skins
these tires get overall good reviews...except one aspect seems to be packed snow, which is lacks grip for. rather confusing for a SNOW tire...most of the time you're on packed snow of some sort!

Because... it's not a Snow Tire, it's a Winter Tire. Winter tires are for driving on highways with small amounts of water, snow and ice. Snow Tires are for snow plows, trucks and off-road vehicles to move through packed snow.

I know we use the two terms interchangably here, but they are really different kinds of tires.

i went ahead and got hankook RW IPIKEs, winter tires. came to 491 installed. i asked the service guy three times about spring/winter changover, and said free free free. guess i'll find out in the spring! the OEM size (which is what i got) 225/70/16.

Good for you! Corolla rims are cheap enough I just ordered a package from tirerack.com yesterday, steel rims and General Altimax Arctics, right after reading this thread. $575 including delivery. Today I queried my coworkers, and the ones who commuted South were fine while the ones who commuted North ran into snow and slippery roads just like I did.

Of course, I'm late in this game, so it'll be over a month before they get delivered, so I'll just have to be careful and hope the snow waits until January or so.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Winter tires are for driving on highways with small amounts of water, snow and ice. Snow Tires are for snow plows, trucks and off-road vehicles to move through packed snow.

I know we use the two terms interchangably here, but they are really different kinds of tires.

01.gif

i'm actually looking forward to the snow now that i have these tires! is that sick or what!?!?!

They will bring a grin to your ear when you are passing stuck AWD and 4x4 vehicles ... or you pass them in a ditch.

i'm actually looking forward to the snow now that i have these tires! is that sick or what!?!?!

They will bring a grin to your ear when you are passing stuck AWD and 4x4 vehicles ... or you pass them in a ditch.

+1 !!

When you get something for a specific purpose, it's gratifying to use in for that purpose...felt the same way with my Hakapelliitas in Vermont...or the Blizzaks and Contis in Colorado...

+2!

I'm just as excited about my new winter tires. This will be my first winter with the new car, too, so it should be lots of fun. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back