Fram Ultra synthetic two 5k mile OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
How is it a good bang-for-the-buck? The Ultra is an expensive filter.

9$ - 15,000 miles = 60 cents per 1,000 miles, compare that to your favorite filter. I stockpiled mine @ $6 on amazon before htey raised the price, thats 40 cents per 1k.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Dude, it's my opinion. You have yours and I would respect it too, if you posted it.
BTW, it's kind of a joke with me too at this point. Where is your sense of humor?
34.gif

It stopped being funny about 6 months ago.

No one is forcing you to comment. Just don't read them. Simple.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ When are you going back to 3k OCIs?
grin.gif

Z06, were you amazed at my last OCI, over 8800 miles? Every one agrees that I can easily go 5K-7.5K miles on the FS. I think next OCI I will buy a FU and go to at least 9-10K miles on the FS. What do you think?

What oil did you use for the 8800 mile OCI? Did you get a UOA? Even if you were going 8~10K OCI, I'd still use the FU due to it's excellent efficiency and there would no worries about it loading up at 10K.

The XG3614 Fram ULTRA (for my 03' Focus) costs under $9 at WalMart....and for those who do shorter OCI's (5K to 7.5K).....it can be used twice (except for BlueOval of course).... since its guaranteed for 15K.

Construction is top-notch, effeciency excellent, double synthetic wire-backed media. IMO, there is not a better filter out there.

The TG is rated for 10K miles, so in a pretty clean engine I'd say no problem.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Would you guys trust a Fram Toughguard to two 5k mile OCI????

Yes, I would. Keep in mind that Honda recommends 20,000 miles (2 oil changes) on their OEM Fram built filters, which closely resemble the Toughguard in the Civic that I maintain.

I'm thinking of the Ultra x 2 OCI's (5k or so) for the wife's Escape. the Duratec 3.0 is easy on oil.

I'm even thinking of the Ultra x 2 OCI's for the SHO if I continue the DIY oil change. But I don't know how that would work out as it seems to be "hard" on oil being DI and twin turbo.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

The XG3614 Fram ULTRA (for my 03' Focus) costs under $9 at WalMart....and for those who do shorter OCI's (5K to 7.5K).....it can be used twice (except for BlueOval of course).... since its guaranteed for 15K.

Construction is top-notch, effeciency excellent, double synthetic wire-backed media. IMO, there is not a better filter out there.

A $3.50 Motorcraft or $6 wix will go 15k easily, too. Not seeing any bang for the buck with the fram ultra.

What oil did you use for the 8800 mile OCI? Did you get a UOA? Even if you were going 8~10K OCI, I'd still use the FU due to it's excellent efficiency and there would no worries about it loading up at 10K.

1) Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W30
2) No UOA
3) My mind is made up. Next OCI will be done with a FU, even if I choose to go 5K miles on it.

3) My mind is made up. Next OCI will be done with a FU, even if I choose to go 5K miles on it.

Well you went 8,800 miles this time around, so why not go at least 7500 ~ 8000 again but with the high efficiency FU? Even if you don't get close to putting 15K on the FU, IMO it's still worth running for the efficiency and reliability of wire back full synthetic media.

Well you went 8,800 miles this time around, so why not go at least 7500 ~ 8000 again but with the high efficiency FU? Even if you don't get close to putting 15K on the FU, IMO it's still worth running for the efficiency and reliability of wire back full synthetic media.

I am all for that, but, will the conventional Formula Shell 5W20 oil hold up to going 8K+ miles?

I am all for that, but, will the conventional Formula Shell 5W20 oil hold up to going 8K+ miles?

I'd use the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W-30 as you did before, or even go with a full synthetic and go for 10K OCI.

Most conventional, non-synthetic will usually go ~6K safely.

be careful, most FRAM ULTRA are rated for 15K miles, while some ULTRA's, like the XG2, XG8A, XG16, XG4967, XG3593A are only rated for 10K miles. This is confusing as they are all in the same line of ULTRAs.

Originally Posted By: camryrolla
be careful, most FRAM ULTRA are rated for 15K miles, while some ULTRA's, like the XG2, XG8A, XG16, XG4967, XG3593A are only rated for 10K miles. This is confusing as they are all in the same line of ULTRAs.

You might be seeing the old "Xtended Guard" XGs, which were rated at 10K before the Ultra like replaced the Xtended Guard line. According to Fram's website, all Ultras are rated for up to 15K miles.

This "10K rating" you speak of, is it actually on the box with also says "Ultra" on it?

You might be seeing the old "Xtended Guard" XGs, which were rated at 10K before the Ultra like replaced the Xtended Guard line. According to Fram's website, all Ultras are rated for up to 15K miles.

This "10K rating" you speak of, is it actually on the box with also says "Ultra" on it?

Fram lists the "ultra" XG6607 for my car as a 10k filter. That as of 2 minutes ago when I checked again.

Last edited:

I'd use the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5W-30 as you did before, or even go with a full synthetic and go for 10K OCI.

Most conventional, non-synthetic will usually go ~6K safely.

Great advice there Z06. Thanx.
The remainder of the FS will be used in my disabled friends car for her next OCI.
smile.gif

Fram lists the "ultra" XG6607 for my car as a 10k filter. That as of 2 minutes ago when I checked again.

I think Fram has some old data on their website left over from the "Extended Guard" days. Have you actually looked at an Ultra box to see what the mileage rating is?

Notice they are referencing the "Extended Guard" in their pop-up ... not the "Ultra".

Hit the Features and Benefits link.
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG6607

Then this pop-up showing "Xtended Guard (XG) 10k Mile Engine Protection"
http://www.framcatalog.com/FeaturesWindow.aspx?f=Fram/xtended guard.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back