Ruger 9E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some of you have seen this but I just saw it today. A newer offering from Ruger which is a slightly cheapened version of the SR9. My LGS has it for $329 currently but I'm betting it gets down to $300 not too long from now. Probably to compete with the S&W SDVE line. Since the P95 was discontinued it seems Ruger decided to get back into the 'budget' pistol market.

I really like the new pistol. It is an SR9 really but they got rid of the big loaded chamber indicator that I never did like and the slide isn't machined as much. It only comes with one mag so that kind of stinks. Oh well, if I buy one I have plenty of mags for my SR9 so no biggie (they use the same). There are some more differences but I can't remember all of them. Overall I think it will do well and like I said, when the newness wears off I bet the price drops. $429 is the MSRP according to Ruger on the 9E, the SR9 is at $529. SR9 is usually about $389-$399 retail where I am. Magazines at my LGS are just about $40 so kind of steep. Gotta figure that in.

Might buy one, might not. I don't need it but my SR9 has been a fantastic pistol and if I can basically get another for about $100 less I just might do it. Anyone else looking at this gun?

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Virtually the same besides a slightly different slide that actually looks better IMO...

The black oxide finish on the new gun wont wear as well...that might suck for a carry gun. But it looks like it would be a good home defense pistol for sure.

Its a decent budget firearm. I'd rather come up with the extra $75 and get a better gun though. Or buy a nice used gun.

Id rather have a well used Glock 17 for $299, and that's exactly what I did. I went into the police supply gun store in my area, told them to find me the most beat Glock in their store, and I would buy it if the price was right. Guy came back with a decent 2nd gen Glock 17 with lots of holster wear for $299. It was mint inside and only needed a good cleaning and a new recoil spring ($6)

Another SR9 (aka 9E) for $300 - why not? It is a great price for a top quality pistol and at least as good as a new G17, let alone a used one.

$299 at gunbuyerdotcom, the LC9 with laser is $349.
I just bought an AR from them last night and a friend is looking at that 9E.

Another budget mid-to-full size gun that looks real good is the Canik 55 TP9, which was "inspired by" the excellent Walther P99. Also under $300 online. Comes with two nice 17-round Mec-Gar magazines.

If the Ruger 9E shares magazines with your SR9, that makes a compelling argument for it. The 9E would be a good stash gun or backup gun.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If the Ruger 9E shares magazines with your SR9, that makes a compelling argument for it. The 9E would be a good stash gun or backup gun.

This is exactly what I was thinking yesterday as I entered the gun store. I was really on the fence about buying it since it's not something I need but the price makes it so appealing. I kept reminding myself that the price will most likely go down anyway so I should just wait. Well, asked to see one and the guy behind the counter told me they were sold out. I was kind of glad to be honest, that made the decision for me. But wait, there's more.....
So as I looked through the sale paper I saw that they have the Taurus PT-92 duo tone 9mm on sale for $379. Just got done cleaning the factory goo off from it. Boy is it a sweetheart.

There is a lot of hate for the Taurus brand, but they make a few solid guns. My older PT92 has been dead reliable. Not quite as accurate as an Italian made 92, but serviceable and some Beretta parts interchange with it such as barrels, locking blocks, magazines. Plus the combo cock and lock/decock safety on the frame is an improvement over the original Beretta IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There is a lot of hate for the Taurus brand, but they make a few solid guns.

Yeah, people love to hate Taurus. This new 92 is my 6th Taurus semi-auto. That probably tells you my experience with the brand. Plenty of horror stories out there on the web about sending the guns back to be fixed. My own dad has a 709 slim that went to Miami twice inside of 3 weeks. But, since then it runs non stop with zero problems. Sure it's a hassle to have to send it in but oh well. It was all on their dime and they put a new slide and barrel on it. I guess it had an oversized chamber.
Issues like that scare folks from buying anything with the Taurus name on it. Maybe I've been lucky or something because all mine run great and are a pleasure to shoot.

Hopefully this new one isn't a lemon, haven't had a chance to go shoot it yet. Seems like the reviews on the PT92 are usually positive.

LMAO on the Taurus recommendations. The Taurus 92 is about the only semi auto that is decent, and coincidentally, it is manufactured on old Beretta machinery, so it is practically a Beretta 92.

The only good gun they have is made on old Beretta machinery folks... avoid Taurus like the plague.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
LMAO on the Taurus recommendations. The Taurus 92 is about the only semi auto that is decent, and coincidentally, it is manufactured on old Beretta machinery, so it is practically a Beretta 92.

The only good gun they have is made on old Beretta machinery folks... avoid Taurus like the plague.

Their PT1911 is also a decent gun and was well reviewed when it hit the shelves. Like I said they make a few good guns. My 44 Hunter never gave me an ounce of trouble either.

I have had bad CZ's and even a bad Colt. The trick with any maker, especially Taurus that has spotty quality across its model range is to research research research before buying. There are many Taurus models I would not buy. But ones built on proven platforms are usually reliable like the 1911 and PT92.

Didn't know our friends at Ruger were coming out with this model. I've been thinking hard about a new LC-9S. Has a shorter trigger pull than the LC-9, and a couple other upgrades.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
That makes absolutely no sense to me. Virtually the same besides a slightly different slide that actually looks better IMO...

The 9E slide has less machining than the SR9, it also comes with one magazine, no loader, and comes in a cardboard box. The 9E is also $100 cheaper MSRP than the SR9.

Ruger built its reputation on making reliable firearms for a good price. The 9E will sell quite a lot.

I remember one story of one of the .45 cal autos that came out a decade or more ago.

The engineers at Ruger were testing for catestrophic failures.
They plugged the barrel with a threaded bolt by machining threads down the barrel the majority of the way, then ground off the slide rail down one side.

They then took a FMJ round of .45acp, loaded it, and fired it with a string tied to the trigger while the engineers were behind cover.

There was cheering that Bill Ruger heard and went to investigate.
When he heard what had happened from the engineers, and that the firearm survived without any breaks/cracks to the frame or slide, he said "Great, the gun works. Stop breaking things and get back to work."

Reliable and robust is an understatement for the majoritiy of Ruger firearms.

Ruger certainly builds stout firearms. I mean they really did quite a bit to remove the stigma from using investment casting for frames versus milled forgings.

+1 for Ruger quality and ruggedness. I have a GP-100, and it is a tank!
Customer Service is #1. I did a have a problem with my SR40c with the striker last year. One call to Phoenix, and I had an air bill in two days, the turnaround for the repair was 8 days!!

My only real gripe was with Bill Ruger. He played along with the political people too much in the early 90's and promoted a magazine capacity limit. Of course he recommended 15 rounds as a limit and they took that and spun it and came up with 10. But it seems that the company learned its lessons from that as did S&W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back