Can premium fuel stop fuel dilution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

According to the owners manual my car is designed to run on 87 octane gas or higher. Apparently Hyundai released a statement indicating the engine will put out an extra 10 horsepower on 93 octane fuel. They claim the ECU can adapt to different octane levels, if this is true, would it have any effect on fuel dilution?

Also would the car run leaner on 93 octane? My understanding is that when 87 octane fuel is used the ECU retards timing to prevent knocking. Basically it runs a little richer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to fuel in general. On a side note I only use Top Tier gas.

-Thanks

Are you saying you have fuel dilution from the injectors in the oil sample?

Originally Posted By: Swift101
Hey Everyone,

According to the owners manual my car is designed to run on 87 octane gas or higher. Apparently Hyundai released a statement indicating the engine will put out an extra 10 horsepower on 93 octane fuel. They claim the ECU can adapt to different octane levels, if this is true, would it have any effect on fuel dilution?

Also would the car run leaner on 93 octane? My understanding is that when 87 octane fuel is used the ECU retards timing to prevent knocking. Basically it runs a little richer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to fuel in general. On a side note I only use Top Tier gas.

-Thanks

I cant imagine that there would be much effect on dilution. Running premium allows the computer to advance the ignition timing, not lean out the mixture (at least that's not the first thing it does). So you'll get more power and better economy with premium because of the more advanced ignition timing, but any change in fuel dilution would be strictly a 2nd order effect.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
(at least that's not the first thing it does)
Contradicted yourself there.

If the ECU does lean it out, it may. If it doesn't, it probably won't. Only someone that knows your car's tune will know, or you can test it with UOAs

Originally Posted By: yucca

I haven't had my oil sent out for testing yet, I will soon though. I can only smell some gas on dip stick. I know my nose isn't an accurate way of checking for fuel dilution, I'm just curious if there is any to prevent it.

Just for the record the gas I'm smelling, smells about the same as it does on non DI cars. I've smelt the oil of a Camry, older Santa Fe and non DI Elantra, they all have the same smell. Maybe it's not fuel?

Originally Posted By: yucca

I haven't had my oil sent out for testing yet, I will soon though. I can only smell some gas on dip stick. I know my nose isn't an accurate way of checking for fuel dilution, I'm just curious if there is any to prevent it.

Just for the record the gas I'm smelling, smells about the same as it does on non DI cars. I've smelt the oil of a Camry, older Santa Fe and non DI Elantra, they all have the same smell. Maybe it's not fuel?

You might be surprised with UOA all my cars always had fuel smell and UOA comes back clean
smile.gif

We have a member here with a new Mazda who claims that premium reduced his fuel dilution issues.

Since most turbo engines run very rich under load I expect that will continue to remain an issue for you...

Running premium eliminated fuel dilution for me. One way newer higher compression motors can run on 87 isn't by timing adjustment, it is by enriching the fuel mixture. This absorbs more heat and keeps combustion temps down to prevent detonation. Running premium allows the fuel mixture to lean out.

And yes, I have a UOA running exclusively premium and it is still the only skyactiv UOA to not show fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Advanced ignition timing (or rather not-retarded timing) also allows a longer combustion time per degrees BTDC of the crankshaft for a more complete burn. There could also be additives in premium fuel that reduce fuel surface tension (injected fuel clinging to parts ie cylinder walls) on top of whats already been mentioned. Lots of possible modes to consider

I don't want to sound rude but why would you not want to use premium fuel with a forced induction engine?

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I don't want to sound rude but why would you not want to use premium fuel with a forced induction engine?

I've been using regular since the manual allows it, but premium feels better, or maybe it's all in my head..

On a side note, I'm going on a vacation next week to upstate NY. The only stations by the hotel are Kwik Fill and Sunoco. Neither are top tier, which would be best?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300

I've been using regular since the manual allows it, but premium feels better, or maybe it's all in my head..

On a side note, I'm going on a vacation next week to upstate NY. The only stations by the hotel are Kwik Fill and Sunoco. Neither are top tier, which would be best?

Sunoco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back