Best First Motorcycle: How Much Is Too Much Bike??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MSF course is a good idea. I learned by hopping on the bike and riding, probably how many older riders learned and probably not the best idea. But with todays courses why do that!

Last edited:
I'm a former MSF instructor. I always recommended that new riders buy a nice used bike. Most older bikes could be bought for about $2,000, ridden for a year or two, and then sold for about the same price.
Taking the MSF course is the best thing for a new rider. Have fun with it.

To me manual transmission cars and manual transmission bikes are night and day. I can't drive a manual in a car worth a darn but never have a problem with a bike. Only cars I can seem to drive well with a manual transmission are the older ones with heavy arse flywheels and lots of legroom for my size 15 feet. Easier for me to feel a clutch with my hand than my foot.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: splineman
Basically an HP-KG calculation so for instance an 883cc Harley Sportster is allowed.

There is a 660cc limit, so no, you can't have the 883 Sporty. So a BMW R65 with 50hp is learner approved, but an R80 with 50hp is not.

There seems to be a lot of image involved, small bikes are not considered ''enough.'' Learn to wring the neck of a smaller bike before moving up. I'd go for the CB500.

Yes my mistake.....I didn't take into account the 660cc limit.
There are weird irregularities, as you point out with the Bimmers, but I still think it's an improvement over the 250cc limit.
I agree wholeheartedly with your last comment mate.
Cheers

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: splineman
The GSXR 750 is a great bike with a good pedigree but is far too much motorcycle for a first bike.

How is a responsive, Nimble and reasonably light bike far too much?

I think sometimes people are Far too intimidated by the capabilities of Inanimate objects.

This is a first bike...it's not a question of intimidation but of good judgement. I don't understand your point about the bike being inanimate, sorry.
The graduated license system is based on good science, and for the most part will help riders avoid disaster. Like I said, good judgement.
I am not dissing the fine GSXR 750. Only the choice of it as a first bike.
Cheers

A gsxr-750 would make a terrible starter bike. Not because it's a bad bike; on the contrary it's an exceptionally good one. But all SS bikes are not adviseable as starter bikes because their torque curves start at such ridiculously high RPM's, which is what gets noobs in trouble.

A good starter bike is something with a little torque down low, take an SV650 as an example.

I started my girl on a 450 nighthawk. She outgrew it in a year or so and graduated to the 750 shadow I picked up.
She's been riding that now for a few years and from here I'm thinking 1100cc cruiser.
I suggest buying the biggest bike you can handle. I acquired the shadow after I bought her the nighthawk,and it wasn't really a planned progression to be honest. The shadow popped into my lap at a price I couldn't refuse. Had the shadow not presented itself she'd still be on the nighthawk.
I was taught on dirt and didn't get my first road bike til around 10 years ago. It was an 1100 virago. Great bike.

I went back to the dealership and sat on a Honda CB500X, and I have to say, it feels like a great all-around bike.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb500x.aspx

I didn't like the design at first, but it quickly grew on me, and it got great reviews from many reputable organizations. I'll need to investigate it further assuming my MSF course goes well..

Personal preference, I suppose, but between the CB500X and NC700X, I think the latter looks better. But it's more expensive, too. However, you can always get a used one. They've been around for a few years now.

I prefer the 700 engine as well. It's geared for low end torque and you don't need to wring it out to get it going. Then again, for some, it's all about the wringing out.
smile.gif

I always tailored my recommendations based on how a bike rode rather than engine size. Accessible, predictable handling and relatively light weight bikes always topped my recommendations.

With that thought, a used SV-650 would be fantastic. Clearly all the smaller engined machines are great recommendations, but if I'm talking to someone who's clearly on the mature end of the "new motorcycle" range, a little more power isn't going to be a problem.

I ride an NC700X. They're OUTSTANDING motorcycles with tons of versatility and high mpg (I get 72 - 75 mpg commuting on highway and freeway). They're the same hp as the CB500X, but power delivery & characteristics are different. They're also available with a dual-clutch transmission, which translates roughly to: Automatic tranny.
smile.gif

You've sat on some bikes; that's very important. You MUST be comfortable on your bike, or you'll end up not liking it (and probably not riding it much). You also MUST BE COMFORTABLE IN YOUR HELMET. Different helmets have different shapes inside. Nearly all of them give me a headache. Some right now, but many not for 10 - 15 minutes. Try helmets on at the shop, and just wear them for a while in the shop to make sure it fits you properly and comfortably. Here's a great video on helmet fit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6E5ki7jQ0

What you expect to use your bike for is also important. I test-rode a used Ninja 250 as my first street bike (my NCX is not my first street bike, and I rode dirt bikes for a loooong time before I ever swung a leg over a 'pure' street bike). It was a great bike and would have been a very smart choice as my first street bike. Unfortunately I couldn't come to terms with them, and an alternative worked for me.

Talking about 250s and 500s seems funny when you ride an 1800...but I guess a guy's gotta start somewhere...

Honestly...I do not ever see myself with anything bigger than a 650 Burgman, unless I end up with a Kymco MyRoad 700. My wife went from a big touring bike to a Hyosung Comet 250, and I work with a guy who got a little Vstar 250 in lieu of money a guy owed him...and liked it so much he sold his 900cc Vulcan.

Smaller bikes can be fun, especially if they're light. However, it also depends on how tall/big you are. A big tall guy on a small bike might look somewhat comical, not to mention possibly uncomfortable. Best would be to test ride all the bikes on your list, alas, many dealers will be hesitant to give a new bike test ride to someone who just got their motorcycle license "yesterday," so you are kind of buying blind. And that's another reason why your first bike should be a used bike. Even if the seller does not allow you to test ride, and you end up not happy with the bike, you can always sell it for pretty much what you paid for it. On the other hand, if you quickly sell a bike that was bought new, you will lose quite a bit.

Then, after a year or two of riding used stuff, new bike dealers will have no problem with you test riding new bikes.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Talking about 250s and 500s seems funny when you ride an 1800...but I guess a guy's gotta start somewhere...

What's the point of posting this? You ride a VTX1800 correct? Lots of bikes with far less displacement, and far less weight, put more horsepower to the ground.

The VTX1800 puts down approx. 90 rwhp. The old GSX-R 750 that was mentioned earlier in this thread, puts down approx. 20 more rwhp, and weighs far less.

Displacement doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm one who started small (450), went big (1100), and then back down (250).

I've owned all sizes up to 1100cc (V4) and while it was nice to have the power, the fun factor wasn't as high. Motorcycles are suppose to be fun and to me smaller equals more fun.

My current bike, a Ninja 250 was bought for a fuel economy project but soon after getting it that plan was scrapped. It is just too enjoyable to ride. It's smooth, quiet, reliable, cheap to run and very quick where I like it, in the twistys.

Worked the fork over with springs and emulators, [censored] even built my own valving for them, then bought an Ohlins shock and a few other pieces.

Geared it quite a bit taller so the revs are down on the hwy and it's still very usable everywhere else.

Lifetime average since owning it is 73+mpg.

Looking to buy 1 or 2 more of them!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Smaller bikes can be fun, especially if they're light. However, it also depends on how tall/big you are. A big tall guy on a small bike might look somewhat comical, not to mention possibly uncomfortable.

He fits fine on it...but yeah, he looks a little odd on the little Vstar. Liz has the opposite problem: she's 5'8" with long legs (she can flat-foot a Goldwing), so her Comet's high seat fits her well. (The 250 Comet is on a normal-sized MC frame, same as the 650.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back