$35k rust belt truck - how much rust is acceptable?

Upstate NY. Toying the idea of consolidating my F150 extended cab and Accord Hybrid into one vehicle. Not really wanting to spend $50k+ for a new crew cab truck so I’m looking at used. $30-35k highly preferred but after seeing the rust on some of these trucks I question if I am asking for too much at $35k.

Now I’m not expecting them to be clean like a southern truck. I expect *some* rust, but looking to hear others opinions on this to see if I’m being unreasonable.

Something like the 2020 Ram 1500 with 62k miles or 2021 Tundra - is that considered too rusty to be worth owning long term? I mean my 2014 F150 is about as rusty at that(minus the non existent rocker panels) Do the trucks kinda stay that way for a while? How long do you figure it’ll last before it becomes a PITA to work on?

The only two trucks that I considered “normal” was the 2021 Silverado with 52k miles and the 2021 Ram 1500 with 31k miles, although the 21 ram was starting to get nasty. Atleast it’s somewhat salvageable if undercoated before winter.

I’m starting to question if it’s worth just forking over $40k for a new Ridgeline/Frontier and flooding the underbody with fluid film before it touches salt. Mid size trucks don’t offer the bed space I want but they’ll work in a pinch.
I’ve also considered going down south to get a cleaner truck but with 2 trade-ins it would be a logistical nightmare.

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpeg
    IMG_1575.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1578.jpeg
    IMG_1578.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Rust never sleeps. If you are going to spend that much money head south and find a rust free truck..........and then get it rust proofed every year.

I don't understand why folks in the rust belt let a $50,000 purchase rot away under them when for $200-$300 a year they can keep the rust at bay. Watching the relatively low mileage vehicles that South Main Auto and Watch Wes Work repair that are headed to the crusher with otherwise serviceable drive trains is depressing.

Man, after seeing those photos, if I could swing it I would go new mid-size truck before I'd spend $35K on those.

That’s what I figured too. I had a Tacoma before my F150 and it was enough truck for most of my needs, but after going up to a half ton it’s hard going back. The wider bed does come in very handy when hauling sheet rock

Rust never sleeps. If you are going to spend that much money head south and find a rust free truck..........and then get it rust proofed every year.

I don't understand why folks in the rust belt let a $50,000 purchase rot away under them when for $200-$300 a year they can keep the rust at bay. Watching the relatively low mileage vehicles that South Main Auto and Watch Wes Work repair that are headed to the crusher with otherwise serviceable drive trains is depressing.

One of the reasons I hate anything lease return up here. The owners don’t care because they know it won’t be their problem when it rots out.

There were nastier trucks on the lot that I didn’t bother taking pics of. I can see the rusted frame in the rear wheel well from 5 car lengths away. 2018 Silverado with an obvious bed side wheel well rust repair. FFS there was still silt/sand caked on top/inside of the frame and it’s September.

Um, spending anything over $10k would make a one way ticket down south and driving it back would be 3 days well invested, and cheap imo.

I’m trying to trade in both my vehicles so having to bring both down south is going to be a pain. Which is why I’m looking local and willing to accept some rust.

Figure the time and effort of going down south $35k might become $40k after all is said and done. $40k can buy cleaner trucks up here as they are usually 2022s with low mileage. Probably only seen one winter.

Last edited:
I'm in Illinois and my last truck (2018 GMC Sierra SLT Crew 4x4) came out of Arkansas. I bought it in May of 2022.

The difference over any locally owned truck was like night and day. No corrosion to be found anywhere underneath that truck. The only thing that was rusty red on the underside was a little bit of Arkansas mud in a few of the crevices. If you're looking at long term ownership, it is worth the effort.

I’m surprised at the amount of rust, even if most of it is surface rust for now.

Frankly the automakers should be ashamed charging what they do for trash like that. Any buyers should be embarrassed for shelling out top dollar for that. Crazy.

frankky, since you’re working on a very deliberate plan, I’d probably try to look/go south, find a truck, and drive it back. I wouldn’t buy anything local if they look like that.

And then yes, spray it.

Frankly the automakers should be ashamed charging what they do for trash like that.
Respectfully IMO governments should be ashamed they put stuff on the roads that destroy their citizens' property. I spent 48 years in NW Pa, all brands rust. For people who live in the rust belt it's a normal fact of life. Beyond destroying automobiles it's bad for the environment.

This is a map of the salt belt. Look how much of the country doesn't need corrosion resistant construction but has to pay for it, in reality subsidizing lower cost for rust belt residents through economy of scale since corrosion protection isn't region specific. I've wondered why some consumer protection group hasn't come forward demanding less corrosive alternatives be pursued and developed. The automakers aren't going to push for it. Living in the SW has it's own problems with vehicle maintenance but nothing compares to dealing with rust. I still marvel when I crack a nut loose on the original exhaust under a 20 YO SW vehicle and spin it off with my fingers.

"Go buy a southern vehicle" is kind of a boilerplate answer that just isn't practical for many people for lots of valid reasons but it's logical if it can be done.
1693717249262.jpeg

Last edited:
Respectfully IMO governments should be ashamed they put stuff on the roads that destroy their citizens' property. I spent 48 years in NW Pa, all brands rust. For people who live in the rust belt it's a fact of life. Beyond destroying automobiles it's bad for the environment.

This is a map of the salt belt. Look how much of the country doesn't need corrosion resistant construction but has to pay for it, in reality subsidizing lower cost for rust belt residents through economy of scale since corrosion protection isn't region specific. I've wondered why some consumer protection group hasn't come forward demanding less corrosive alternatives be pursued and developed. The automakers aren't going to push for it. Living in the SW has it's own problems with vehicle maintenance but nothing compares to dealing with rust.
View attachment 176609
Because god forbid anyone slow down, take some personal accountability and learn to actually drive in it, put good tires on their vehicle, and leave a bit earlier.

Every year on my regional highway department Facebook page it’s the same thing…. “Reeeeee our roads haven’t been plowed!!! HOW DARE THEY ALLOW EVEN ONE FLAKE TO STICK TO THE ROAD!!!!” Or “they never put enough salt down! Quit being cheap with the salt!” My county likes to put sand down except at intersections (okay fine), go over 1 county and my truck will be white from all the salt within 3 miles.

Just get a vehicle from new Mexico. I brought a 24 year old neglected beater truck that's been around new Mexico and west Texas it's whole life and has virtually zero rust.

2023 Nissan Frontier King Cab® S 4x2 starts at $30K.
2023 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab PRO-4X® 4x4 is $40K.

There is like a million trims in between those two prices.

Proving to be a good reliable truck, so far. 310-hp 3.8-liter V6, 9-speed automatic transmission. In future can be used to reliably haul replacement turbos for all other trucks that went Turbo-4cyl route.

I'd go with an oil based rust protection. Yes, requires reapplication 1-2 times per year, but still a better option than some undercoating that lets hidden rust to form.

I’m trying to trade in both my vehicles so having to bring both down south is going to be a pain. Which is why I’m looking local and willing to accept some rust.

Figure the time and effort of going down south $35k might become $40k after all is said and done. $40k can buy cleaner trucks up here as they are usually 2022s with low mileage. Probably only seen one winter.
Why do you need to take both vehicles down with you? Sell them locally and take any cash you make with you. You may find southern dealers offer you less for your northern vehicles because of the rust so this may benefit you financially anyway.

Back