Thick oil, thin oil piston wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Here's a really nice study on thick vs thin.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...vel#Post2349276

Without actual tear-downs with measurements that data doesn't mean much.

It means as much as anything else out there. Who's going to tear down hundreds or thousands of engines. That study will never be done.

Its amazing how an intelligent person is willing to be intellectually dishonest to support their world view.

There are? Have you ever seen them? I hear that a lot for my BMW too, but I've never seen those reasons.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
But I assure you, even though temp is well controlled, I won't be running any 20 grade oils in this engine, nor any North American style 30 grade oils (HTHS of ~3.0 cP). There are very good reasons why Benz calls for the oil they do, and the modern, high tech 0W40 works well in both cold and hot conditions, under high load, or any conditions that can be thrown at the vehicle.

It means as much as anything else out there.

Such as? What are the competing pieces of data being discussed on this site that we would compare it to?

Quote:
Who's going to tear down hundreds or thousands of engines.

The manufacturers and oil companies. That's part of the development process. When Porsche says to run A40 and that all A40 oils perform comparably, that is because part of their validation of oils that meet A40 is a test followed by tear-down regiment.

Doug Hillary was extensively involved in the testing of Delvac 1 5w-40, which included extensive field testing and random tear-downs. The interesting part is that he also used UOA's during that process to track contamination levels and oil life. He's the one who has stated that UOA's are NOT meant to be used to contrast different oils to each other and that one cannot simply glance at a UOA and determine how an engine is "wearing". That's a misuse of the tool. To get actual wear measurements, you need to take the engine apart.

Quote:
That study will never be done.

Because there is no value in a study that contrasts the wear of a 5w-20 vs a 5w-40 in an engine that calls for 5w-30. Engines are tested by the OEM's using the spec lubricant. We (BITOG) are the only crowd nuts enough to think that we can, through the manipulation of viscosity choice, significantly impact the life expectancy of our engines. And there's no proof of that out there because nobody else cares. Particularly not the engineers who developed the engines and aided in the spec viscosity choice.

Quote:
Its amazing how an intelligent person is willing to be intellectually dishonest to support their world view.

It is also amazing how somebody will try and take data derived from a tool meant to measure contamination and lubricant life and think it gives them not only a realistic picture as to an engine's wear characteristics but also allows them to contrast them to those of other oils. Even though experts in the field have repeatedly told us this is not the case.

Your comment cuts both ways here. The above certainly qualifies as intellectual dishonesty in my book, as the misuse of data derived from an oil life tool to suite one's agenda is certainly no more legitimate than the position that the data derived from such an endeavour, used in the manner depicted, is borderline useless.

The obsession and repeated attempts at trying to derive data beyond the tool's purpose with UOA's is because anybody can do them. We want to be able to ascribe more meaning to what we get back than is actually there because it makes us feel like we've accomplished something. We want to feel we are doing the "best" for our engines. And since nobody on here has the resources to do fleet testing of various lubricants in a controlled environment, followed by actual tear-downs and measurements, we extend the validity of the data beyond its scope so that it overlaps into that area and gives us that warm and fuzzy feeling.

When I joined this board, I was in that camp too. It wasn't until some rather extensive discourse with Doug that I realized that what I thought I was gleaning really wasn't there to be had.

We (BITOG) are the only crowd nuts enough to think that we can, through the manipulation of viscosity choice, significantly impact the life expectancy of our engines.

Right. It's the thick oil crowd that thinks they're smarter than the OEM's.

case closed.

We (BITOG) are the only crowd nuts enough to think that we can, through the manipulation of viscosity choice, significantly impact the life expectancy of our engines.

case closed.

That's not the case. There are probably more advocates of the "thick crowd" on this board, but there are and have been certainly those telling people to run TGMO 0w-20 in applications that don't call for it for example. Somebody had recommended its use in a BMW engine that spec'd LL-01. That's on an engine that doesn't have an oil temp or oil pressure gauge, so there would be no way to track operational viscosity, which is a key point given that the OEM felt that the engine needed an oil with an HTHS >=3.5cP.

Unsafe and illogical recommendations come from both camps. That's why it is important to know what the OEM recommends. If they give you a range of viscosity choices and temperatures for those viscosities, then use your head and choose a lubricant that aligns with that chart. If that's 5w-40 because it is 40C out then awesome. If it is 0w-20 because it is -35C out, then also awesome.

But if the OEM says to use an oil meeting spec "Z", then it is unlikely that you can "guess" a better recommendation with a non-spec lubricant because you think you know better. And that goes for thick OR thin. And that's why my M5 sees an LL-01 oil, which can be a 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40. But they all have an HTHS >=3.5cP and have been tested and approved by my OEM, which means I KNOW that the oil will properly protect my engine.

^^^Gosh that's just way too easy.

Follow OEM recommendations? That's ridiculous!

But seriously, we have been running oil analysis in our fleet for nearly 40 years now. It's a great tool but it is FAR over valued here. Too many believe it shows everything from a few ppm of an identified metal. That requires a lot of conjecture from a small amount (pun intended) of data.

Last edited:

case closed.

As usual, I think you meant "mind closed"...bear in mind, and you've not responded, the OEM for my L67 specified 20W-50...yet you claim 15W-50 trashed your 3.8, and other engines.

How can the OEM have gotten is so wrong, and so many engines not understand that they were trashed, by GM, before they left the factory ?

case closed.

That's not the case. There are probably more advocates of the "thick crowd" on this board, but there are and have been certainly those telling people to run TGMO 0w-20 in applications that don't call for it for example. Somebody had recommended its use in a BMW engine that spec'd LL-01. That's on an engine that doesn't have an oil temp or oil pressure gauge, so there would be no way to track operational viscosity, which is a key point given that the OEM felt that the engine needed an oil with an HTHS >=3.5cP.

Unsafe and illogical recommendations come from both camps. That's why it is important to know what the OEM recommends. If they give you a range of viscosity choices and temperatures for those viscosities, then use your head and choose a lubricant that aligns with that chart. If that's 5w-40 because it is 40C out then awesome. If it is 0w-20 because it is -35C out, then also awesome.

But if the OEM says to use an oil meeting spec "Z", then it is unlikely that you can "guess" a better recommendation with a non-spec lubricant because you think you know better. And that goes for thick OR thin. And that's why my M5 sees an LL-01 oil, which can be a 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40 or 5w-40. But they all have an HTHS >=3.5cP and have been tested and approved by my OEM, which means I KNOW that the oil will properly protect my engine.

As usual nicely said!

The obsession and repeated attempts at trying to derive data beyond the tool's purpose with UOA's is because anybody can do them.

More accurately, because anyone can do them cheaply and easily. No one wants to get their hands dirty with direct measurement.
wink.gif

But the thin oil crowd is never guilty of this and never goes thinner than specs right? I've gone thinner than spec, too.

It means as much as anything else out there.

Such as? What are the competing pieces of data being discussed on this site that we would compare it to?

Quote:
Who's going to tear down hundreds or thousands of engines.

The manufacturers and oil companies. That's part of the development process. When Porsche says to run A40 and that all A40 oils perform comparably, that is because part of their validation of oils that meet A40 is a test followed by tear-down regiment.

Doug Hillary was extensively involved in the testing of Delvac 1 5w-40, which included extensive field testing and random tear-downs. The interesting part is that he also used UOA's during that process to track contamination levels and oil life. He's the one who has stated that UOA's are NOT meant to be used to contrast different oils to each other and that one cannot simply glance at a UOA and determine how an engine is "wearing". That's a misuse of the tool. To get actual wear measurements, you need to take the engine apart.

Quote:
That study will never be done.

Because there is no value in a study that contrasts the wear of a 5w-20 vs a 5w-40 in an engine that calls for 5w-30. Engines are tested by the OEM's using the spec lubricant. We (BITOG) are the only crowd nuts enough to think that we can, through the manipulation of viscosity choice, significantly impact the life expectancy of our engines. And there's no proof of that out there because nobody else cares. Particularly not the engineers who developed the engines and aided in the spec viscosity choice.

Quote:

It is also amazing how somebody will try and take data derived from a tool meant to measure contamination and lubricant life and think it gives them not only a realistic picture as to an engine's wear characteristics but also allows them to contrast them to those of other oils. Even though experts in the field have repeatedly told us this is not the case.

Your comment cuts both ways here. The above certainly qualifies as intellectual dishonesty in my book, as the misuse of data derived from an oil life tool to suite one's agenda is certainly no more legitimate than the position that the data derived from such an endeavour, used in the manner depicted, is borderline useless.

The obsession and repeated attempts at trying to derive data beyond the tool's purpose with UOA's is because anybody can do them. We want to be able to ascribe more meaning to what we get back than is actually there because it makes us feel like we've accomplished something. We want to feel we are doing the "best" for our engines. And since nobody on here has the resources to do fleet testing of various lubricants in a controlled environment, followed by actual tear-downs and measurements, we extend the validity of the data beyond its scope so that it overlaps into that area and gives us that warm and fuzzy feeling.

When I joined this board, I was in that camp too. It wasn't until some rather extensive discourse with Doug that I realized that what I thought I was gleaning really wasn't there to be had.

Nice

It was because of Overkill that I went back on Doug Hillary's posts and read them,lots of them,and I felt this guy really knows his stuff,a real expert.
So when I read that he said only actual engine teardowns are an accurate measure of wear I thought "what the" because a used oil analysis shows wear metals.
Once I got deep enough I realized the guy is right.
A used oil analysis is a tool monitor oil condition and that's it.
When I first joined bitog I thought otherwise, thankfully this board has a few real experts who share their knowledge and I've since learned more than most normal people could ever want to know about oil
But I'm not normal.

Any study, paper or theory can be cut up. There's nothing out there that proves running a heavy oil in a passenger car is the way to go either.

The preponderance of evidence supports the lighter oil philosophy.

Any study, paper or theory can be cut up. There's nothing out there that proves running a heavy oil in a passenger car is the way to go either.

What about the "use what the manufacturer suggests based on the details in the owners manual because they tested the engine" philosophy?

Whoa, I know, let's not get too logical here
wink.gif

Seriously though, if the OEM calls for 5w-20 in Texas or Antarctica you are fine using it in either. If they call for a Euro oil with an HTHS >=3.5cP for those conditions, then use one. In the latter situation, I'd prefer an oil with a higher VI/better visc spread (ala 0w-30 or 0w-40) but there is probably no measurable impact on the overall life/health of the engine.

If the OEM gives you a range of viscs based on temperature, you are safe to follow it.

As Shannow has noted in the past, engine design (bearing surface area for example) has changed to accommodate the overall trend toward thinner oils. That does not however mean that you should run 0w-20 TGMO in an M3 that spec's 10w-60. If BMW wanted you to run 0w-20 they would have spec'd it. On the other hand, if you have a Ford 5.0L that spec's 5w-20, you aren't going to damage it by running 5w-50 in it. After all, Ford also spec's that grade for that engine. Of course that doesn't mean it is necessarily the best choice for it either if it never sees a race track. And running 20w-50 in something that spec's 5w-20 in Alaska in February would align with the M3 example in being ridiculous and could, like with the M3 example, result in significant engine damage.

Thin oils, as Doug Hillary has mentioned in the past, are not something new. SAE20, 20W, 20W-20 have been around for a very, VERY long time. An engine's ability to heat and stress the oil correlates with its viscosity requirements. Low power density engines don't have the ability to heat the oil the same as a high output one and subsequently don't require the same buffer. And while oil temperature can generally be addressed with sump size and oil coolers, HTHS viscosity is still an important component and in high stress applications, even if you are able to keep bulk sump temps down, you may still need an overall heavier oil to deal with the high stress/high heat spots in the engine.

We have all the data we need in front of us: the recommendations and requirements of the manufacturers. If they tell you thin, then use thin. If they tell you thick, use thick. This subject need not be so polarized.

What about the "use what the manufacturer suggests based on the details in the owners manual because they tested the engine" philosophy?

Whoa, I know, let's not get too logical here
wink.gif

Seriously though, if the OEM calls for 5w-20 in Texas or Antarctica you are fine using it in either. If they call for a Euro oil with an HTHS >=3.5cP for those conditions, then use one. In the latter situation, I'd prefer an oil with a higher VI/better visc spread (ala 0w-30 or 0w-40) but there is probably no measurable impact on the overall life/health of the engine.

If the OEM gives you a range of viscs based on temperature, you are safe to follow it.

As Shannow has noted in the past, engine design (bearing surface area for example) has changed to accommodate the overall trend toward thinner oils. That does not however mean that you should run 0w-20 TGMO in an M3 that spec's 10w-60. If BMW wanted you to run 0w-20 they would have spec'd it. On the other hand, if you have a Ford 5.0L that spec's 5w-20, you aren't going to damage it by running 5w-50 in it. After all, Ford also spec's that grade for that engine. Of course that doesn't mean it is necessarily the best choice for it either if it never sees a race track. And running 20w-50 in something that spec's 5w-20 in Alaska in February would align with the M3 example in being ridiculous and could, like with the M3 example, result in significant engine damage.

Thin oils, as Doug Hillary has mentioned in the past, are not something new. SAE20, 20W, 20W-20 have been around for a very, VERY long time. An engine's ability to heat and stress the oil correlates with its viscosity requirements. Low power density engines don't have the ability to heat the oil the same as a high output one and subsequently don't require the same buffer. And while oil temperature can generally be addressed with sump size and oil coolers, HTHS viscosity is still an important component and in high stress applications, even if you are able to keep bulk sump temps down, you may still need an overall heavier oil to deal with the high stress/high heat spots in the engine.

We have all the data we need in front of us: the recommendations and requirements of the manufacturers. If they tell you thin, then use thin. If they tell you thick, use thick. This subject need not be so polarized.

I agree with you. The oem's aren't going to recommend a lubricant that's going to lessen the useful life of their products. That's bad for business.
However I do believe that a person needs to consider their particular usage and decide accordingly.
For example my 4v in my mustang. I didn't have a real oil pressure and oil temp gauge on it last year. This year they're already installed,as well as a big oil cooler.
I want to see what my max oil temps when I'm driving hard. I've got no doubt that a 20 grade is adequate,especially if oil temps never exceed 220f however if I find that I'm getting 260f and staying there then I'm going to run your baby ,M1 0w-40 in it because I know its stellar at temps that high and higher.
My charger,same thing. In the winter running a 40 grade is retarded since oil temps rarely exceed 220f in day to day operation however in the summer I drive it much harder and oil temps are going to be much higher and that should be considered when making an oil grade choice.
On a vehicle that's driven normally,that never exceeds its designed limits there is no reason to go any thicker than the oem prescribes however if the engine is going to be operated in a more "spirited" manner then that should be taken into consideration as well.
Just arbitrarily going thinner without data is retarded. No engine ever wore out/was damaged from using an oil that a grade thicker than prescribed but thinner is a risk. No matter what a fool believes.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Oh the horrors!
laugh.gif

Well, I almost got whupped as a youth for not going for the lightest grade possible for the ambient conditions, instead grabbing (oh, the real horror) a monograde!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back