GM 6.0 Piston Slap, what oil?

BITOGers,

A review of the forum didn't get me there...

What oil would you suggest to get rid of piston slap? Year 2000 GMC Sierra with the 6.0. I purchased it with 187k on the clock. P.O. used 5W-35 dino oil on 3k OCI. Under my care, I switched to amsoil 0W-20 and a bottle of Ceratec (this is after owning multiple Mercedes/german and reading BITOG’s oil 101 (about the oil pressure in the Lamborghini)). With the new oil, I’ve seen operating pressures reduce by 10psi from 60 to 50. And at idle, from 50 to 40psi. MPG has gone up by .5mpg (for a vehicle that gets 12.5) this is a big deal.

With Winter, piston slap has developed. It goes away when the engine is fully warm.

What are some suggestions of Amsoil oils that could reduce/eliminate the cold piston slap and still keep at least some of the benefits from the thinner oils.

Thanks for the help.

I would go back to a 5W30 or 5W40, its what your engine is designed for. My LQ4 also has cold start up knock this time of the year and it goes away. I also dont care about the MPG with it as I knew what I bought when I bought it back in 2006. There are zillions of LQ4s out there that have survived with piston knock and are still on the road.

You can eliminate Penzoil Platinum 5w30, it is what I'm currently running, and has done nothing, but I wasnt trying to do anything except usual maintenance.

The only complaint I have is it sounds like an old gasoline school bus. That is also fixable with a sawzall. Maybe someday. Good luck.

get the 0w-20 out of that engine and go back with valvoline HM full synthetic 5w-30. mine was never quieter than on valvoline.

5w-40 or 0w-40 or 5w-30 in that order. Your engine is no Lamborghini so we can't really compare that part. Are you sure it's not just a loose timing chain tensioner that makes some noise until pressure & some heat is established?

A review of the forum didn't get me there...
Perhaps some of these threads may be of interest to you:

5w-40 or 0w-40 or 5w-30 in that order. Your engine is no Lamborghini so we can't really compare that part. Are you sure it's not just a loose timing chain tensioner that makes some noise until pressure & some heat is established?
there aren't timing chain tensioners in gen 3 blocks

My 2004 GMC 5.3 work truck started cold engine piston slap noise at around 60k miles. I passed the truck along and then borrowed it years later from a different driver. It was still running good with the cold engine piston slap at 200k miles.
Our shop used bulk 5W30 from a few different vendors in all our pickups.

Last edited:
Doesn't every old Chevy have piston slap? I'm pretty sure I've never heard an LQ4 without cold start piston slap.

Rotella T6, 5W-40, or M1, HM 10W-40 will both be good choices for that engine.

The T6 has a pour point of -51ºC (-60F) and it remains a fine choice for relatively cold weather ops, along with excellent performance in hot conditons. Whereas the HM 10W-40 pour point is -38ºF, and is, from personal experience, nowhere near as good in cold climates.

Perhaps some of these threads may be of interest to you:

I stand corrected. Ty. And I’ll get to reading

Thanks. No, not sure it’s not. However the sound is a staccato sound, that directly follows engine rpm, as opposed to what I would expect to be a constant buzzing sound of a rolling timing chain.

And, the lambo reference was to the reduced oil pressure observed. My engineering brain thinks that lower is generally better. Is there a scenario where that’s not the case?

Back