Thick oils and VVT systems

FRS asks for 0w20 and I've used euro oil (mostly 0w40/5w40) and of course it runs fine. Going to put Liqui Moly Molygen 5w40 in the Corolla for the winter.

Never knew you could get a Corolla L with a manual. Something we can't get here in the U.S. For '23 the L trim was dropped here.

On many Ford engines, for the last 20 years, a slightly higher viscosity has significant benefits with the cam phaser lifespan and timing chain lifespan. In fact, a "code" is much less likely in hot locations. Our local dealership went to 10W-40 on Modular V8's to prevent phaser warranty repairs. It eliminated the problem, 100%.

I'm running M1 EP 5W-30 (OEM is a special 0W-20) in my Jaguar F-Type, no codes, no issues. In fact, it helps prevent the known issues with rapid main bearing wear and chain issues.

There is a member here who had a code on his Chrysler product, he mentioned the oil was 5W-30. I find that interesting, because the very same engine is spec'd for 5W-30 in other applications. Someone speculated that the ECU could look at oil pressure and temp, and determine whether it's out of range.

Oil changes viscosity significantly via temperature, and temperature is not a constant either, depending on load and how long since startup, I have to wonder about all this.
My Pentastar oil pressure (digital) remains exactly the same going from RGT 0W20 to RGT 5W30 …

Shh don't tell my Honda it has 5w40 in it instead of 5w20. It has been great for the last 2 yrs on 5w30 and 5w40. My Exp and Honda are two examples of 3k oci vs service light and change it when I can PO's. Expedition got 3k oci and is spotless under that valve covers and burn no oil. My Honda was sludged, heavy heavy varnish that even covered the cam lobes and burned a lot of oil. I have been working on it and have gotten burning to stop but varnish is still present over the last 2 years. CAFE is the big push in US, run what oil and oci you are comfortable with.

My 5.7 VVT Hemi occasionally throws a P1521 code using a 0w-40 or 5w20. No MIL illuminates, I think it just looks at engine oil temp vs oil pressure.

Interesting. Low tension ring considerations make sense to me, intuitively. The VVT doesn’t…
Honestly, I would think the opposite, partially for reasons discussed in MolaKule’s piston ring thread the other day. If we’re talking about sealing, a more viscous fluid will better seal the asperities on the cylinder wall, and higher HTHS will make the oil less likely to separate. I think it’s a win-win, unless all of the tricks of todays machining are used.

IF one were to have the absolute optimal finish, and gapless top rings and Napier second rings, along with gas vents and surface texturing, I could see the thinner oils performing equally to thicker oils. But it’s highly doubtful that anybody’s seen increased oil consumption or PCV trappings by going up in thickness and HTHS. In my mind, everything (albeit limited 🤣) I know about oil says more viscous oil is beneficial, and that as long as the oil flows at startup temp, you could run a straight 60 weight year round if you had a sump heater.

Think about it. If you had say olive oil (thin oil) and as an extreme, PlayDoh (thick oil), and you rub your plastic cast-iron pan scraper across your work surface, which one leaves more behind? I’m saying the thinner fluid does. Yes, the example is obviously extreme, but so are the misconceptions that thicker oils pollute the combustion chamber more, IMO. 👍🏻

Specifically, anyone with a GM 5.3 using 5w30 (or heavier) instead of the 0w20 that GM specs? The engine AFM cylinder deactivation system is the only concern I have with using anything other than 0w20. It’s going to be in the 90s here most all summer. 20 weight oil?..

My 5.7 VVT Hemi occasionally throws a P1521 code using a 0w-40 or 5w20. No MIL illuminates, I think it just looks at engine oil temp vs oil pressure.
What's the OM or fill cap say to use, 5W-30?

Last edited:
Specifically, anyone with a GM 5.3 using 5w30 (or heavier) instead of the 0w20 that GM specs? The engine AFM cylinder deactivation system is the only concern I have with using anything other than 0w20. It’s going to be in the 90s here most all summer. 20 weight oil?..
Have QSFS Euro 5w40 in my kids 5.3 but don't believe his has AFM

So it's even thrown a P1521 when the specified oil is used?
Yes in winter I use 5-20, I also have a 190 degree thermostat. I commute highway so in winter coolant temp rarely sees 190 or more. The last time I checked (last winter) I had Amsoil Signature 5-20 in there. I also have a tune so that could be an issue.
I have absolutely no concerns about it.

Back