Fram ph8170 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fram ph8170 that I cut open open today. Came off a 21hp briggs vanguard..dont know usage..definitly isnt your typical ocod and looks to be a better quality/heavy duty version..going by the fram catalog this is the direct replacement for the oem briggs short filter...ph3614 or equivalent is what I would personally use if it physically fits...btw that is what went back on.:

Metal end caps on a Fram orange can.
shocked2.gif

Ya and I bet its not 4 bux either lol...looks like a real pressure relief valve in the bottom too....I cut open an oem black briggs filter(long version) the other day and it looks similar to this...
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Metal end caps on a Fram orange can.
shocked2.gif

...made for a 21HP small engine.

Apparently, Fram thinks our vehicles are not important enough for this quality.
27.gif
lol.gif

There are several fram aplications that fram has a heavy duty filter that is also the same specs as a regular orange can. ph7575 is one of them. If you cross it to any other filter brand there is only filter.

I have long said that not all orange cans are created equal but this one is something else!

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Filter looks good, my tractor cross references to that number and I may start using that over the STP I now use. The STP is an ecore design with the plastic center and fiber endcaps, so seeing the fram has metal encaps and thicker media makes me agree it is a good filter in THIS case.

Like no Fram orange can I've ever seen before. Coil retainer spring, metal endcaps and what looks to be an attached metal coil spring dome end bypass. Just speculating here, but I'm thinking this is a limited production application, and therefore is a 'made for' Fram filter. By who, don't know but not Fram USA. I would say Champ because of the tapping plate, but they don't as a rule use a coil spring retainer, or attached dome end metal coil spring bypass. A mystery.

Thanks for the pics.

Not all Wix filters have six large inlet holes, 5/1334 is a case in point. And Wix/Napa Gold have a separate bright metal outer ring that holds the sealing gasket and attaches to, and covers part of the tapping plate. This Fram doesn't have that. Coil retainer would be the same, but many other filters use that too. No saying it's definitely not a Wix, but based on the Wix/NG equivalent, not convinced it is either.

The Wix equivalent is 51056, note the bright metal ring.

5998_1.gif

Guys, I have seen the Fram PH8170 for sale in stores here that from the outside are identical to the OP's pictures. All the ones I have seen say "Made in India" painted on the side of the can along with the other words and instructions.

Seeing as these are made for lawn, garden and outdoor equipment applications, I don't doubt that they can be found at farm and home stores.

I still find it odd that 'if' Fram actually makes this application, they would find the need to use a completely different filter design in such a low volume sale application. Doesn't make sense to me. And we know for other low volume sale applications such as VW/Audi, Fram just re-labels the oem.

And if as noted above they are made in India, that is also where the where the Kohler oem is made, and having personally dissected one, the internal construction design is quite similar.

Motorking (the Fram mouthpiece here), you usually defend a Fram whenever somebody says something bad about a Fram. Care to comment on this filter that actually looks good? (Even if it has some features that your competitors use?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back