Stuck rear axle 2007 H-D Dyna Street Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the original rear tire on my Dyna, and can't get the axle to come out. Any tricks anyone know of w/o beating it into submission with a big hammer?

I'm unfamiliar with the method of axle retention on your H-D. Is there possibly a pinch bolt being overlooked?

I've seen instances where pinch bolts were overlooked by people, on front axles before.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Drive that thing out with a brass punch and coat it with anti seize when you put it back in.

Deadblow hammer and a punch has always worked for me. My Triumph was a bit stubborn. Use a really good high temp bearing grease and that will work. But yes make sure there is no pinch bolts and the that adjustment bolts are not in the way or dragging.

Be careful that you dont mushroom the end of it. Sometimes it can't be avoided. A light coat of grease or anti seize at re-install. Might be a good time to check or grease the swing-arm bearings and shock pivots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Be careful that you dont mushroom the end of it. Sometimes it can't be avoided. A light coat of grease or anti seize at re-install. Might be a good time to check or grease the swing-arm bearings and shock pivots.

correct, i use waterproof grease durring fresh tire installs on both bikes, its never a problem for me, but excellent point and suggestion for those that dont !

if your belt is that tight, that its not allowing you to slide your axle shaft out, you'll never get it back in after!!! while the axle is still in??? this thread is old, id check your belt deflection??? adjust it to spec and then continue tire/wheel change out.

Update: I ended up taking it to a shop because I didn't want to break anything. The guy at the shop said it was stuck pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Update: I ended up taking it to a shop because I didn't want to break anything. The guy at the shop said it was stuck pretty bad.

why was it "stuck"??? was it seized to the wheel bearings??? not to slide out once past the chamfer?? anyways, its done whatever it was.

My 2005 Sportster had the same problem. A light amount of rust on the axle made a beating nessessary to remove the axle. The HD manual calls for anti seize lube on the axle but when it was manufactured they don't put any lube on the axle at all.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
^^^Yes, it was stuck onto the bearings. He put grease on the axle so I wouldn't have this problem again.

My 2006 Lowrider was really stuck. But they just used a bigger hammer...
shocked2.gif
But every guy I know who owns a HD has had the same issue.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Thread is from last year guys. I think the op has it taken care of by now.

Pics would be nice though

LOL you never know....he could still be beating on it.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back