I sure hope none of you are stuck in ATL

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 inches is much more believable to me. someone here at work said 2 feet. but folks get pretty freaked out about it--- because it might as well BE 2 feet. They have some steeep hills and some pretty crazy roads through there...

I got home just after 1:30 pm today. I left Ashland Alabama at 12:00 NOON yesterday for Cleveland, GA. It took me 25.5 hours to go the 178 miles. That was after doing 24 hours at the fire station Monday in Metro Atlanta. Got to be back at 0700 tomorrow morning for another 24.

Wow.
I drove my charger all this winter until 2 weeks ago in all season tires. Traction control is stellar as well as the anti-lock brakes. Now that I've got snows on I can drive like its summertime on the snow and ice.
Anyways this reminds me of Vancouver when they get a snowstorm. The whole city was gridlock then there's the idiots who slow down to gawk at accidents instead of focusing on the road ahead.
These people in Atlanta shoulda just stayed home. The news obviously warned to locals about what was coming yet they decided to go on anyways. Serves them right.
I'm Canadian and even we stay home during blizzards,especially when the cops are closing the roads.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Wow.
I drove my charger all this winter until 2 weeks ago in all season tires. Traction control is stellar as well as the anti-lock brakes. Now that I've got snows on I can drive like its summertime on the snow and ice.
Anyways this reminds me of Vancouver when they get a snowstorm. The whole city was gridlock then there's the idiots who slow down to gawk at accidents instead of focusing on the road ahead.
These people in Atlanta shoulda just stayed home. The news obviously warned to locals about what was coming yet they decided to go on anyways. Serves them right.
I'm Canadian and even we stay home during blizzards,especially when the cops are closing the roads.

Well, the weather forecast was that everything significant would be south of Atlanta.

I only had one time that I thought I wouldn't make it, and that was on a hill on a side road still in Alabama. Other than that, I NEVER had a single issue.

The problem was all the tractor trailers!! On I20, there would be one in each of the 3 lanes side by side, all three of them spinning and stopping traffic. This is what happened ALL OVER the metro area, well that and stupid drivers. The 18 wheelers were 99% of the problem!!

I know that without 18 wheelers, we'd be in a bad place as far as commerce...BUT when it's ICE...either put chains on OR PARK!! I've got my CDL and drive commercially at times, but if I had a dollar for each TT I passed that was spinning away, I wouldn't have to go into work tomorrow.

I sure am glad the IL and Canada crew let me know what was on the Atlanta news...
21.gif

Very mature Maryland...

Other than the cars the highway looks clear to me, I was on I95 this AM and it looked about the same, we got a nice 1-2 dusting last night.

Cruised a 70.

With all those big old 4wd trucks and SUV's they still couldn't keep the roads moving...not that you need it in those conditions...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Other than the cars the highway looks clear to me, I was on I95 this AM and it looked about the same, we got a nice 1-2 dusting last night.

Cruised a 70.

With all those big old 4wd trucks and SUV's they still couldn't keep the roads moving...not that you need it in those conditions...

Yeah it was clear...1/2-1" of ice underneath. I've been in the north and drove in the snow. There's 2 distinct differences 1)The DOT up north really knows how to deal with it and are prepared, 2) I've never seen the solid ICE that we unfortunately get down here.

My little Camry with barely decent tires did just fine.

It was funny though listening to the people call in to the radio station that were either originally from or visiting from the North and they were stranded.

I heard people that were from: Boston, Wisconsin, Indiana, South Dakota, and Rhode Island that I can remember.

This happened a few years ago in the D.C. Area. Snowstorm started around 2pm, untreated roads, but we got 8 inches. It was a cluster just like this. People stranded overnight.

Maybe instead of all the fingerpointing, the parents could have just held their kids out of school on their own. I'm still stuck in Cobb County. Didn't want to chance getting on the interstate and sitting again, also, maybe if Everyone stayed off the roads today, they were able to clear some mess.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: montero1
I saw not one plow.

They don't even have them.

Atlanta? Sure they do. The city invested in quite a bit of snow equipment after the 2011 snowstorm. If memory serves they had somewhere around 5 inches of snow, and it shut them down for 2 or 3 days. After that they invested in around 30 or 40 snow plows and quite a number of sand/salt spreaders.

Originally Posted By: Scooby

Well, the weather forecast was that everything significant would be south of Atlanta.

Actually the local 11Alive meteorologist had revised that forecast around 3 AM Wed morning, as did the NWS, so folks were not paying close attention. I'm now living in upstate SC, but I was born in Maine, and when winter storms are approaching one thing you learn is to constantly stay alert for changes in the forecast. That morning before work and school people were NOT doing so.

Quote:

The problem was all the tractor trailers!! On I20, there would be one in each of the 3 lanes side by side, all three of them spinning and stopping traffic. This is what happened ALL OVER the metro area, well that and stupid drivers. The 18 wheelers were 99% of the problem!!

I agree about the semi trucks not being in the designated lanes. I'm pretty sure that most urban, and semi urban areas around the country now have restrictions on those trucks being in the left lane of any major highway.

A 3 hour commute was condensed into 1 hour when schools and businesses sent everyone home at same time . Also it didn't help that hundreds of truckers tried to beat the storm through Atlanta. Salt trucks became blocked off as a result so ice formed on every road surface.

Overall I not blame the Governor or Mayor of Atlanta. They did the best they could with the information at the time.

The state treated a lot of roads early in the morning but everything re-froze in the afternoon.

Thankfully I was home just before traffic got bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scooby

I heard that the forecast sort of let them down, as it were. In any case, one thing I've learned about winter weather and driving is that value of timing. Everyone on the road at the same time in bad conditions is a recipe for disaster. I know it's not always feasible and it seems like a hassle, but leave early, stay late, or just stay.

And judging from the coverage, it looks like you guys had problems in the same places where everyone has problems - the highways and freeways. Ice and high speed just don't get along well.

Yea, salt, brine, and chems does not do as much when the temps are staying below 20 and into single digits. IDK if that's what ATL is experiencing, but we aren't much farther north and it's been unseasonably cold here--- so whatever they tried to do--- may not have worked due to cold?

And someone above said it well too--- we are as or more likely to get sleet and freezing rain than we are snow. It may not last long once the new day comes, but I can recall up to 1/2" of sheer ice in this area (been a while). And that stuff DOES present problems.

We were in a thin band of no-precip -- it was both to our north and our south. we came through with barely a dusting.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I know it sucks, but I can't help laughing at 1-2" of snow paralyzing an entire city.

You think that is funny? I don`t think it is funny all. I pray for those poor people.

Last edited:
I think it is funny, they had a nice spot on fox news, Atlanta had jsut purchased 2.5 million dollars more snow equipment last year. The article implied they did next to nothing with it because the mayor didnt coordinate anything. Just shows, dont ecepct governement to have a clue, it isnt like the storm wasnt predicted!

heck we get ice and snow every other day where I live in maine, any pol who ignores forecasts would get shown the door. THis reminds me of Nagins in New Orleans, total lack of common sense or planning.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I know it sucks, but I can't help laughing at 1-2" of snow paralyzing an entire city.

You think that is funny? I don`t think it is funny all. I pray for those poor people.

Ya it does suck that you know no difference between 1-2" of snow and 1-2" of ice.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
A 3 hour commute was condensed into 1 hour when schools and businesses sent everyone home at same time . Also it didn't help that hundreds of truckers tried to beat the storm through Atlanta.

The few pictures I saw do show lots of truckers.

ap26036222467_wide-b6d439ca1a173f89083261fecdeb0cbd2f91ff67-s40-c85.jpg

Originally Posted By: meep
Yea, salt, brine, and chems does not do as much when the temps are staying below 20 and into single digits. IDK if that's what ATL is experiencing, but we aren't much farther north and it's been unseasonably cold here--- so whatever they tried to do--- may not have worked due to cold?

And someone above said it well too--- we are as or more likely to get sleet and freezing rain than we are snow. It may not last long once the new day comes, but I can recall up to 1/2" of sheer ice in this area (been a while). And that stuff DOES present problems.

We were in a thin band of no-precip -- it was both to our north and our south. we came through with barely a dusting.

Calcium Chloride & the liquid anti-ice products work great to anything below zero but can be cost prohibitive.

Plain and simple is the fact Atlanta Govt. wasn't prepared and stupid people will still be stupid regardless of the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back