They can go ahead and strike-- I got my truck.

Am I the only one concerned about the first gen E4OD? Or is this an M5OD?

The early E4OD's often cratered around 130k
The biggest pile of sheet ever produced is and always has been the E4OD. I had one in it's first year. I was a ford fanatic prior to this brand new purchase in 1990. I have bought many a new vehicle since then, never a ford again. As a matter of fact, if the current strike drives ford to bankruptcy and all of its employees lose their jobs. I will just smile to myself and consider it justified in the karma sense.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Drove it home!

Probably needs a full tune up, felt a very light skip when I got on the gas at medium throttle. Rockauto shows parts cheap enough. Not buying counterfeit crap on ebay/ amazon.

Rides very, very soft. Probably 20 lbs in all the tires, LOL. I brought an inflator but those things take way too much time.

Gas gauge was on E, so I bought a gallon, figuring I was nine miles from home so how bad could my MPG be? Gauge jumped up to 3/8.

Smells a little inside. The power windows are busted but I opened the triangle vents to let it air out.

Battery is a midgrade walmart from 2/22. I hooked up an unregulated solar panel to charge it. Cranks slow. Obviously hasn't been driven lately.

Tranny code says E4OD. Has nice quick firm shifts. Had the same tranny in my RV behind a 460. The 5.8 is a torque monster, too, just chugging along at 1700 RPM.

Speedo pointer aims at six o'clock. Odometer adds up so it's not a cable, will go searching for clusters on ebay.

My 91 Dodge Dakota 2.5 5 speed got an honest 25 MPG, but it's not a full size truck. 4x8 sheet goods had to lay on one wheel well. And it was stupendously slow.

Engine smelled "hot", probably hasn't been warmed up in a while. Might have roasted some acorns stashed wherever.

The biggest pile of sheet ever produced is and always has been the E4OD. I had one in it's first year. I was a ford fanatic prior to this brand new purchase in 1990. I have bought many a new vehicle since then, never a ford again. As a matter of fact, if the current strike drives ford to bankruptcy and all of its employees lose their jobs. I will just smile to myself and consider it justified in the karma sense.
Lol that’s not even the worst Ford transmission of that era! A4LD??? Anyone? Anyone?

For me personally the worst transmission I’ve owned has been the 4L60. I had two K1500s with it and both I got rid of due to the ol slip, slip, bang! There was a whole lot I liked about the 88-98 GM trucks but the 4L60 and front end rebuilds every 50k was the end of the line for GM trucks and myself.

I’d probably take a square body again if the price was right but it never is on those things anymore.

View attachment 181536

25 is a little generous. My 2018 F150 4WD if I baby it down the interstate on summer gas gets me around 20. Mine is a heavy pig though, like payload around 1250 heavy. Lighter XL's and STX 2.7 2wd F150's can get low to mid 20's if driven the speed limit. Here is a shot from fuelly on standard cabs with the 2.7 - there are are 2 reporting 25 and above, which isn't many, but it shows that it is possible.
View attachment 181537
Wonder how much that fuel mileage would be towing 13K, I imagine it would be 0 pretty quick as the little 2.7 turbo would blow up.=zero mpg=not very efficient

There is of course the original statement I was arguing with with 25 mpg = ridiculous claim, even as an average. Your graph is great but does not support the claim of 25mpg average, not even close.

Does the 351 have the Bosch type port EFI? This has gotta be the best part of the '94 Rat, I use it to maintain a newish battery with a wall wart, and to occasionally shift something in my yard. The main reason I keep the Rat is that it starts so easily, it makes me smile. :cool:

I have owned 4-yes they do get 25mpg. You obviously don't know what you are talking about-nor can probably afford one.

Didn't Sam Walton drive an old Ford truck? Probably an overused example, But there are people many times wealthier than you that drive old beaters.

Bet you wouldn't belittle a grown man like that to their face....Or you just haven't ran across the right one yet?

Didn't Sam Walton drive an old Ford truck? Probably an overused example, But there are people many times wealthier than you that drive old beaters.

Bet you wouldn't belittle a grown man like that to their face....Or you just haven't ran across the right one yet?
You got that right!

eljefino, that is a decent looking truck that looks like it has a lot of life left.

Oh...I have. But it's easier on the Internet!

Handsome truck! I think the 300 would be the holy grail version, but I suspect you’ll be very happy with that v8!
My neighbor had that truck (it might have been a 1990) with the straight six....it had 300k when he sold it.
A friend told me a story about that engine...he knew a guy who bought a used one that was making noise...he asked the guy if he had checked the oil....the guy said “No”....when they checked it it was bone dry....they filled it with oil and it was quiet as a mouse and ran for years after that...a great engine that was nearly indestructible.

PS: To the OP....nice find.

Last edited:
Back