VAG 2.0T vs 3.0T reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you referring to the 3.0TFSI? (supercharged 3.0L V6)

If so, it's pretty solid. It's Audi's workhorse motor that's been used in nearly every model in a variety of configurations for many many years. The very early years did have some minor issues with plastic impellers on the water pumps, but a revised part was released and cars were recalled. They don't suffer from carbon buildup problems like the older FSI motors, but Audi still extended some additional warranty coverage/preventative maintenance just in case.

And if you want more power, they can very easily crank out 400hp+ with a simple tune from Stasis, APR, GIAC, etc. 450-500 is reachable with the tune, exhaust, and some other bolt-on upgrades.

Originally Posted By: dparm
If so, it's pretty solid.

Right, but would you say it's more solid than the currently offered 2.0T?

Not really looking into running aftermarket tune on either one.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If so, it's pretty solid.

Right, but would you say it's more solid than the currently offered 2.0T?

Not really looking into running aftermarket tune on either one.

I think both are very strong motors. There's a reason they put them in pretty much every model.

My gut tells me that the V6 is the more reliable one since it seems to be a bit less high-strung. I think it's way overbuilt from the factory which is why you can easily squeeze 500hp out of stock internals.

Thanks!

Wife is potentially looking at a Q5/SQ5.

oooh, a 'squive', very favorably reviewed in the new Car and Driver.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Yeah, well, I've got somewhat mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the extra hp/torque as well as some of the features of SQ5 are nice, but on the other hand MPG takes a further dive (3.0T MPG isn't anything to write home about either), and it comes with either 20" or 21" rims instead of 18" on the Q5. I would want this vehicle to be able to take a pothole "like a man" and not have to deal with bent rims or suspension components. Besides, the wife would never take advantage of the extra power anyway.

Cute looks, navigation, and rearview camera - that's about all she cares for.
smile.gif

Yeah, well, I've got somewhat mixed feelings about it. On one hand, the extra hp/torque as well as some of the features of SQ5 are nice, but on the other hand MPG takes a further dive (3.0T MPG isn't anything to write home about either), and it comes with either 20" or 21" rims instead of 18" on the Q5. I would want this vehicle to be able to take a pothole "like a man" and not have to deal with bent rims or suspension components. Besides, the wife would never take advantage of the extra power anyway.

Cute looks, navigation, and rearview camera - that's about all she cares for.
smile.gif

NP, the regular model still has most of the baked in goodness that Audis offer anyway.

BTW, as long as the rims are factory equipment they are unlikely to cause problems. Just watch out for the curb! I have hit HUGE potholes with the factory 20's on my car and it didn't hurt a thing...

Last edited:
BTW, as long as the rims are factory equipment they are unlikely to cause problems.

One of the OEM rims on her c300 is bent, and yeah, they're all scratched pretty badly. She seems to love the curbs.
smile.gif

Sadly the SQ5 TDI is not sold here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-audi-sq5-tdi-first-drive-review

I just looked and for 2014 they're now selling the Q5 in the US with the 3.0TFSI (non-SQ5, so detuned) and the 3.0 TDI. Both have the 8-speed trans with a 0.667:1 8th gear. The TDI is rated at 31mpg highway, which is pretty impressive for a 4400lb SUV with all-wheel drive.

Anecdotally I can tell you that my S4 with the 7-speed S tronic was handily beating the claimed MPG numbers on the highway.

^^^You can bet the ZF 8 speed will beat those EPA numbers as well!

I'm just disappointed that the S tronic gearbox wasn't selected for the SQ5. The ZF is a fine gearbox but it still can't match the dual-clutch.

^^^You can bet the ZF 8 speed will beat those EPA numbers as well!

I'm just disappointed that the S tronic gearbox wasn't selected for the SQ5. The ZF is a fine gearbox but it still can't match the dual-clutch.

Just depends what you are trying to 'match'.

BMW, Audi, Bentley, Jaguar, the list grows every year. I'd say the ZF slushbox must be pretty nifty (and versatile!) ...

Non-withstanding your "handle", Q-Pete, with a BMW, a Mercedes and a Lexus (?) in the garage the prospect of an SQ5 can only mean you wish to establish a closer relationship with the local Audi Service Department...

Aren't those a little few and far between in Illinoistan? Outside of The Second City, that is?

Cheers!

p.s. That was an interesting take in Car & Driver. 0-60mph in plenty (?) of time to get you in trouble!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
and a Lexus (?) in the garage

Hehe... the GS is my bike (BMW).

As for dealerships, where we live, there are quite a few of them in close proximity. With that said, my original 'reliability' question was to help ensure that whatever she buys will not end up requiring overly frequent service visits while still having a bit of an upscale feel to it. Most of the local MB service departments know us by name due to the number of issues she's had with her C300, so I'm hoping to avoid it this time around, knowing well that the Germans statistically aren't as reliable as the Japanese. Painting with a broad brush here, I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back