cars made in Mexico

Hi,
Generally speaking, and without names brand, should people stay away from the current model year cars that are made in Mexico?? Is the quality and long term reliability subpar?
Thannks

We have a newish 2022 in the family and looking over it, looks to be pretty well done. Everything lines up as it should, the paint is nice and smooth, and we've got no complaints with it at the moment.

Granted, the vehicle was designed to a price, so it isn't super complicated, but what is supposed to be there looks well put together.

I bought a new Versa in 2013, made in Mexico. My mom drives it now with OE cvt fluid and 120,000+, no fit and finish issues but was a bare bones cheap commuter..

My wife's '14 Fusion was built in Hermosillo MX and the overall quality is real good. Things like fit and finish of body panels is excellent.

Don't get the misconception of where a product is built determines it's quality 100%. You can have something made in China that's equal in quality to something made in the US, Germany, Japan, etc. Quality level is driven by the price point it's sold at or sadly, greed, errrr, profit margin the manufacturer wants.

Hi,
Generally speaking, and without names brand, should people stay away from the current model year cars that are made in Mexico?? Is the quality and long term reliability subpar?
Thannks
GM assembles $60,000.00plus pickup in Mexico.......I had one. It had built in GM problems-non of which can be traced to Mexico-but the engineers who designed the thing.

IIRC the Ram 2500 - 5500 are made in Mexico. My 2012 has been good.

FWIW, the area around Saltillo Mexico is one of the fastest growing automotive and industrial areas in the world. The likes of the big 3, Toyota and even Tesla can't build fast enough.

Just my $0.02

I didn’t own it all that long but my 2019 Ford Fiesta seemed well built. It sort of changed my attitude about maybe buying a more expensive Mexican vehicle in the future.

I didn’t own it all that long but my 2019 Ford Fiesta seemed well built. It sort of changed my attitude about maybe buying a more expensive Mexican vehicle in the future.
The Ford Fiesta was a well built piece of junk. They didn't sell well....at all.

I knew someone with a Mexican-built(GM de Mexico Silao) Tahoe, except for glass it was hard to tell it apart from one built in Arlington, TX or Janesville, WI. I’ve been in Mexican-built Hondas(CR-V/Fit) and Fords(Fusion/Fiesta), it’s hard to distinguish from the ones built in Ohio, Michigan or Japan. However, I did notice an Ohio-built Honda smells different than a Japanese-built(Suzuka and the former Saitaima plant, now the Yorii plant) model if you were to drive one off the truck when they arrive at the dealership. Some say a Japanese Lexus smells different than one made in Canada or Kentucky when they are delivered to the dealer.

My Mexican Silverado was assembled fine.

Quality problems on modern cars nearly always come from "value engineering", making a part cheaper until it fails early. Or on time, if you're into planned obsolescence.

My Mexican Silverado was assembled fine.

Quality problems on modern cars nearly always come from "value engineering", making a part cheaper until it fails early. Or on time, if you're into planned obsolescence.
AAM’s plant has been a success as their CEO likes to brag …
But, wish he’d stop saying “differentiates” - (business lingo) bcs I think he’s playing mind games with that …

Fit and finish of a vehicle is mostly a design result. If the stamping is substandard no amount of quality assembly will make it better

Back