Thoughts on modern turbocharged Subaru engines?

Has Subaru finally made a reliable turbocharged engine? I know a lot of modern GDi turbo engines have problems but I remember turbocharged roo’s from 20 years ago had turbo issues revolving around the wastegate.

I was interested in 2.4T, but some owners did say it's less reliable than they thought it would be. Don't have many details on the actual issues, just a general vague feedback. Take it with a grain of salt. For now I still think a used 3.6L H6 is a better option.

Forgot to mention: some of those issues are platform/model based issues (Subaru Ascent), so not every 2.4L Turbo powered vehicles is going to experience the same. Also it does seem to be one of the best turbo engines Subaru has made, but I still wouldn't compare its reliability to an H6, or most V6 engines from its competitors.

Last edited:
yeah I don’t rly remember the specific reasons why the turbocharged roo’s from 20 years ago had issues but if I recall it had something do with maintenance with the wastegate on the turbochargers.

Reason I’m asking is because a dealer has a blue crosstrek wilderness coming in that’s dealer ordered and I reserved it but for the price I can also get a wrx which has a manual and a more powerful engine

yeah I don’t rly remember the specific reasons why the turbocharged roo’s from 20 years ago had issues but if I recall it had something do with maintenance with the wastegate on the turbochargers.

Reason I’m asking is because a dealer has a blue crosstrek wilderness coming in that’s dealer ordered and I reserved it but for the price I can also get a wrx which has a manual and a more powerful engine
Fun ride for next 5 years? Take the WRX. Less fun, less complex, and potentially more reliable (long-term) vehicle? Crosstrek. For what the Crosstrek lacks in speed - it could make up for in experiences that you'll get, if you actually use the Wilderness for its intended purpose off the pavement.

Last edited:
If you need an AWD wagon, Subaru is pretty much the only viable option in the US that isnt some weird Euro thing or a half baked domestic. That said, Subaru's post pandemic are now overpriced, high maintenance, and generally have less resale value then folks expect after 7-8 years. I've owned several, but have since moved on.

If you need an AWD wagon, Subaru is pretty much the only viable option in the US that isnt some weird Euro thing or a half baked domestic. That said, Subaru's post pandemic are now overpriced, high maintenance, and generally have less resale value then folks expect after 7-8 years. I've owned several, but have since moved on.
overpriced? compared to what.

I bought a 2015 forester for invoice at 25995(iirc) it was premium with MT.
same thing is still under 30k(msrp) but has cvt and some extra features.. eyesight etc.

Compare to a jeep compass that is now upto 42000.

The EJ257 that was in the subaru was bad; the EJ207 in the WRX was supposedly stronger but then you traded the stronger gearbox in the STi over the glassbox in the WRX.

But that was 10+ years ago.

The resale is insane in this locale at least.

This is not any where remotely true-IMHO. So what do you call all the "rear hatch" CUV's running around? Your really splitting hairs with your observation.

Subaru has been turboing their vehicles for a long time. They did not have HG leaks like the NA models. Their reliability is good. I am also not a f an of DI engines. But that's another story

Subaru has been turboing their vehicles for a long time. They did not have HG leaks like the NA models. Their reliability is good. I am also not a f an of DI engines. But that's another story

Isn’t the wrx direct injection?

Fun ride for next 5 years? Take the WRX. Less fun, less complex, and potentially more reliable (long-term) vehicle? Crosstrek. For what the Crosstrek lacks in speed - it could make up for in experiences that you'll get, if you actually use the Wilderness for its intended purpose off the pavement.

I do a lot of dispersed camping in Colorado in the national forests and some of those forest roads can be wrekd.

the crosstrek wilderness would be a perfect vehicle for that. Its axles are weak (when comparing it to Dana 44’s) and I would not take it baby rock crawling..

I was interested in 2.4T, but some owners did say it's less reliable than they thought it would be. Don't have many details on the actual issues, just a general vague feedback. Take it with a grain of salt. For now I still think a used 3.6L H6 is a better option.

Forgot to mention: some of those issues are platform/model based issues (Subaru Ascent), so not every 2.4L Turbo powered vehicles is going to experience the same. Also it does seem to be one of the best turbo engines Subaru has made, but I still wouldn't compare its reliability to an H6, or most V6 engines from its competitors.
What the H6 gained in engineering expertise (closed decks, chain driven cams, no issues with a “hot” #4 cyl being the main ones), they definitely paid for in fuel economy. I had an ‘08 Tribeca and the thing was a tank in a good way… but city driving was mid-18s and highway was mid-21s or so even when I was treating it gingerly. Outbacks will be slightly better but I’d be surprised to ever see above 24-26 mpg with a 3.6 in long-term real-world use.

IMO Subaru really missed the boat by not turboing the 3.6, or for that matter, tacking another two cylinders onto the 3.6 for a 4.8L Flat 8. Maybe then, Subaru could have figured out how to make some real torque below 4k on the tach!

What the H6 gained in engineering expertise (closed decks, chain driven cams, no issues with a “hot” #4 cyl being the main ones), they definitely paid for in fuel economy. I had an ‘08 Tribeca and the thing was a tank in a good way… but city driving was mid-18s and highway was mid-21s or so even when I was treating it gingerly. Outbacks will be slightly better but I’d be surprised to ever see above 24-26 mpg with a 3.6 in long-term real-world use.

IMO Subaru really missed the boat by not turboing the 3.6, or for that matter, tacking another two cylinders onto the 3.6 for a 4.8L Flat 8. Maybe then, Subaru could have figured out how to make some real torque below 4k on the tach!
An H8 would be a beast!!!
But in all fairness - our 2009 Honda Pilot is 2WD. Mixed driving is 18MPG when my wife drives, or 20MPG when I drive. So let's say average is 19MPG. On highway it's 22-23MPG at 70-80MPH. At 65MPH it maaay barely touch 25MPG, but usually settles at 24.5MPG.
So a 3.6L H6 with AWD isn't that much more thirsty than a 3.5L V6 with FWD.
An AWD Pilot would likely be even more thirsty than a Tribeca.

Last edited:
So is the 4 banger boxer engine in the 2024 crosstrek a bad idea? Do they have head gasket issues?

Last edited:
Back