'11 Acura MDX - OE Michelin or Bridgestone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I had OE Latitude Tour (non-HP) on my Jeep, and someone would have to pay me to run them again. I hated them. They were down to 5/32nds after 23K. They were horrible in the smallest of snow.

What size were they on your Jeep? Because those issues will be specific to that size and application as specified by Jeep, if you can post the particular size to avoid, we'll know not to recommend them in that size.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gofast182

Michelin Latitude Tour HP, $1,156
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia, $728
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, $752

I'm planning on the Dueler Alenzas for my wifes RDX next spring but obviously can't really offer you any actual input on them yet.

Live in the snow belt? One of my co-workers is ecstatic about the Nokian WRG2 he put on last year. But he drives a lot on snow and ice.

I live in NJ. Sometimes we get slammed by snow storms but sometimes we get rain, the coastal influence is funny like that, but to answer your question it's not enough to warrant a tire like that plus it's not unheard of to be at 80* by May.

Any thoughts on the slight dry rot on the inside side walls I mentioned earlier? Is it an immediate concern and if so should it weigh into my decision to purchase another set of Michelins?

I live in NJ. Sometimes we get slammed by snow storms but sometimes we get rain, the coastal influence is funny like that, but to answer your question it's not enough to warrant a tire like that plus it's not unheard of to be at 80* by May.

That is what the Nokian WR G2 (SUV) is perfect for if snow happens enough to bother you. It is basically an all-season tire rated as winter tire. But given you were happy with Mich for your needs I would stick with what you posted. I found the Mich lacking on ice/snow once at 6/32". The mich also had poor rain traction at 32". At least it was not noisy ever, I shed them at 3/32".

I needed a safe tire with winter capability as my wife is going to deliver within the month 45 minutes away on dry day and the past two births were in poor weather and short at hospital.

Any thoughts on the slight dry rot on the inside side walls I mentioned earlier? Is it an immediate concern and if so should it weigh into my decision to purchase another set of Michelins?

I've had some Michelins that started to show some weather checking sooner than I thought they should. And I've had some Michelins that never showed weather checking, even after I thought they should.

I've had tires from other brands that started to show some weather checking sooner than I thought they should. And I've had tires from other brands that never showed weather checking, even after I thought they should.

It's hit-and-miss in my experience, and a non-issue for me.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I had OE Latitude Tour (non-HP) on my Jeep, and someone would have to pay me to run them again. I hated them. They were down to 5/32nds after 23K. They were horrible in the smallest of snow.

What size were they on your Jeep? Because those issues will be specific to that size and application as specified by Jeep, if you can post the particular size to avoid, we'll know not to recommend them in that size.
smile.gif

265/60R18. I had high hopes. CR and TR rate them fairly well. I kept reading of Grand Cherokee owners hating them, and replacing them prematurely. I liked them OK for the first 10K miles. They went downhill quickly. I had them rotated regularly, and all were worn even. This is the wife's daily-driver, so driving style is "average" (not spirited at all). I had Cross Terrains on a previous ride as OE. I was not impressed with them either, but much preferred them to the Latitudes -- especially in snow. This may be a case of "OE spec'd tires not being the same as OTC Michelin dealer tires"? You'll find many such reports on the Jeep forums. I love the replacement Cooper AT3s thus far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back