General AltiMAX RT43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new set of General AltiMAX RT43 tires put on the Forester. I have only driven in the snow so far. Initial impression is that they are far superior to the Yokohama Geolander G91F tires that came off of it. They were the OEM tires and had only 13k on them. I got a great trade in deal at DT for them. I did not feel safe having the family on those tires and felt that I had to make an upgrade in tires.

The Forester drives as a Subie should in the snow now. I was hesitant to purchase a tire like General, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how nice of a tire it has been so far. Very high quality compared to what I was expecting. It cost HALF of what the Michelin Defenders would have cost! That is the other tire I was leaning toward. In the end, and how well the RT43 has been reviewed, it was a no brainer for me.

I will keep up to date with how they handle in the near future.

Anyone else running these General AltiMAX RT43 tires?

Not to rain on the parade, but did you investigate the rolling resistance of these tires, compared to the Defender or the OE tire?

Usually there's a 3-5% penalty in fuel economy, which can add up to hundreds of dollars over the life of the tires.

General is owned by Continental. They're a very big tire company and an OEM supplier -- I would not hesitate to use them.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Not to rain on the parade, but did you investigate the rolling resistance of these tires, compared to the Defender or the OE tire?

Usually there's a 3-5% penalty in fuel economy, which can add up to hundreds of dollars over the life of the tires.

It has yet to be determined how they will do in that aspect for me. Fuel mileage is not my number one concern. If I can stay even close to what I was getting, I will be happy. If I am not happy with them for whatever reason, I have 45 days to exchange them with no questions.

Do you know something that I don't about this specific tire?

I would look for the low rolling resistance tires, and avoid them. The factory continental contipro contact tires are worn evenly across the tread and on each side but are almost shot at 21k miles. She does not drive it hard and they have been maintained ( pressure and rotation). Any fuel savings are negated by buying tires with a short life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I would look for the low rolling resistance tires, and avoid them. The factory continental contipro contact tires are worn evenly across the tread and on each side but are almost shot at 21k miles. She does not drive it hard and they have been maintained ( pressure and rotation). Any fuel savings are negated by buying tires with a short life.

That is a gross generalization. Fuel savings technology is becoming integrated into most of the newer tire designs. Some tires are designed to push the envelope in terms of fuel economy, but even those are getting much better.

Anyway, this is way off-topic for the OP (my apologies), but I was just curious if he had considered this aspect…and what his findings were.

No problem Critic. I am interested in all thoughts on these tires. That is why I posted.

Honestly, LRR tires are not the first thing I look at. Traction in all weather, handling and long life are my biggest priorities. Cost was a large thing because it cost $350 less to get these than the Defenders I had planned on getting. So, that was my deciding factor.

Tire Rack rated them very high in their tests and I always take into consideration Tire Rack reviews before buying any tire.

Worth it to be safe in bad weather though....

Good to see it's getting glowing reviews....short of the "hard as rocks" below freezing, my Altimax RTs have been a pretty good tire. Something for me to consider when looking for tires on my other two...

I have 2 on my Jeep Patriot. When they arrived via Fedex I could not believe how light they were, and how flimsy the sidewalls are. They get good wet traction and they are quiet. Can't really judge handling because 2 original Goodyear's are still on the back. RT43 have 1 ply sidewall and the Goodyears are 2. In my mind 2 sidewall plys is better but I'm not a tire expert so maybe it doesn't matter.

Nice to see that there are options other than just going the Michelin route!

After this Winter I don't think I plan on going anywhere near LRR tires either.

Freak early or late snowfall requires a sound A/S tire, forget about fuel economy in Montreal with our roads and poor weather.

Giving up traction to a likely freak snowfall is not a good way to go.

Last Winter we had a late snowfall, and I was outside with the flakes falling with a jack putting my Winter tires back on after recently taking them off.

I tried to tough it out but with a half inch of snow on the ground my OEM Dunlop A/S tires struggled to go up a small hill into our parking lot, almost didn't make it up.

Heard people love the Altimax Arctics as well, maybe I'll try them out after my IG-20s wear out instead of getting Blizzaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

User error. We got rid of that model on our car at 55k with still 4/32 of tread. My boss has about the same on her car, and they haven't been used up either.

I wouldn't be avoiding LRR, though there may well be other better options for other reasons. LRR doesn't have to mean poor life at all, unless you drive poorly, in which case no tires will last.

I'm amazed at the swapping of the Subaru tires at 13k. I'm not one for needing awd to get around, but it should maximize traction even on poor tires.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'm amazed at the swapping of the Subaru tires at 13k. I'm not one for needing awd to get around, but it should maximize traction even on poor tires.

Well, considering my wife drives this vehicle about 80% of the time with my 2 young sons, it shouldn't be too surprising. She told me she didn't feel safe even with the all wheel drive. The OEM Geolanders were not at all an all season tire. So, new tires it is....and I will leave snow tires for a different discussion. I have found a good set of all weather tires have worked fine for me with careful driving.

She is happy driving it now. She has driven it in the snow the last couple of days.

I also got a decent trade in deal for the OEM tires......

Papa Bear, if you can remember that jingle...you're too...well...you're my age...because the car in the commercial is about a '74 Caprice.

By the way, the Pierce-Arrow in the first shot is awesome!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Well, considering my wife drives this vehicle about 80% of the time with my 2 young sons, it shouldn't be too surprising. She told me she didn't feel safe even with the all wheel drive. The OEM Geolanders were not at all an all season tire. So, new tires it is....and I will leave snow tires for a different discussion. I have found a good set of all weather tires have worked fine for me with careful driving.

She is happy driving it now. She has driven it in the snow the last couple of days.

I also got a decent trade in deal for the OEM tires......

What did DT give you for the 13k mile tires in trade?

$100 trade value for the Geolanders.
$375 for the 4 new tires on price match.
$16 each for installation.
tax....
$405 total out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back