make up my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 5.7L hemi here.
Been using PU 5w-20 forever but now that it is almost impossible to find, started thinking. I can still get PU on Amazon for 63 bucks/7 quarts. A part of me thinks though that I should just downgrade to what’s readily available at Wmart. I can go to PP or M1, which cost about the same. I do a lot of small trips, so a good cleaning synthetic is a must, hence the use of PU for the past 3 years.
Or just continue using PU (through Amazon)? Technically, the price difference is only about 30 bucks, twice a year.
What would you do?

M1 has been good to me but I would think you'll be fine with PP as well.

M1/PP/QSUD will work just as well, why spend double the price when you can pick up a jug of quality synthetic for 24.xx at wally.

What kind of use does this vehicle see and what is your OCI? A good quality dino will most likely do just as well.

Why not the Quaker state synthetic? The price is good and it's a good oil. I'm very happy with it.

90% of the mileage are short city trips of under 2 miles, twice a day, 5 days a week. A highway run once every 2-3 weeks to warm up the oil. The OCI is every 6 months (still under warranty), under 2K miles per.

Synpower.

Everyone thinks Synpower is a second class citizen behind M1 and Pennzoil. Including me. I don't run it either.

But I used to. With great results.

You know what's harder to find than PU? A bad UOA using Synpower or VWB.

Last edited:
your driving is severe service for sure, beside amsoil i like valvolines full or semi synthetics, specs easily found at their site. not a fan of watery 5-20 oils, only for the epa, 5-30 prolly in spec as the girlfriends 13 2.5L malibu 5-20 on the oil cap 5-30 in the pan all dexos I approved in the owners manual. when I drained the 5-20 it looked like WATER!!!!!!

Use what meets the manufacturer's recommendations. Last time I checked, the 5.7L engine requires oils meeting the MS-6395 standard. Mobil1 does not meet that standard.
Originally Posted By: BigD7
2010 5.7L hemi here.
Been using PU 5w-20 forever but now that it is almost impossible to find, started thinking. I can still get PU on Amazon for 63 bucks/7 quarts. A part of me thinks though that I should just downgrade to what’s readily available at Wmart. I can go to PP or M1, which cost about the same. I do a lot of small trips, so a good cleaning synthetic is a must, hence the use of PU for the past 3 years.
Or just continue using PU (through Amazon)? Technically, the price difference is only about 30 bucks, twice a year.
What would you do?

What is going on with Pennzoil and their availability of Ultra? I wonder if they are phasing it out? Would pennzoil actually come out and say they are phasing it out? It seems in my area only a one or two auto stores have it and at one time just one walmart.

I think they are on the way to slowly redirect their marketing scope with the ultra brand. If you look at the offerings of Pennzoil oil filters they carry the platinum brand and not Ultra. Mobile uses the EP branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back