1989 Isuzu Trooper oil with high mileage

Hi guys. I have a 1989 First Generation Trooper with a 4ZE1, 2.6 engine . It hit 251,000 miles. I’ve been using Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage oil. 4 years ago I installed an OEM IHI Turbo and manifold from a 1989 Impulse. Running 13 psi. Should I keep using this oil? I want this engine to last another 250, 000 miles. It is not my daily driven vehicle. I only use it in my farm and some 4x4 trail trips with my friends once a month.

I was planning to upgrade to 15w40 Rotella Synthetic one.

By the way, I live in a Tropical island where year’s average temperature is 80 throughout the year. I live in the mountains. On winter it can reach 60F and on summer can reach 100F.

I was thinking about 20w50 but I think it is to thick.

Based on the vast experience of you guys, what would be be the best oil to minimize shear and wear ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
And of course, from time to time this Trooper sees highways and freeways. It is a turbo Trooper. It is fun to ride it on the freeways as well on the trails.

I’ve heard many comments regarding head gasket problems with the Isuzu Troopers. I haven’t any problems with mine, even though my Trooper is turbo.
You probably haven't overheated it badly. Heat seems to take out more head gaskets than boost does, in general

You probably haven't overheated it badly. Heat seems to take out more head gaskets than boost does, in general
You are right. I haven’t overheated my Trooper even though it has the 90 degree thermostat. Some time ago I knew a lower thermostat is available I bought it but I haven’t installed it. I think it is the 85 degrees one.

Back