Newly balanced tires now squeaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
CapriRacer, that's a fascinating story about aluminum wheel shards. Thank you for sharing. That's obviously why I choose steel wheels over aluminum - chuckle.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Well, things are even better today--less and less squeaking than the day before, but still a little squeaking (maybe 3 to 5 percent of the time now when applying the breaks). So it's a lot better, but obviously some squeaking is not as good as no squeaking. For 6 years, I had no squeaking until the Sam's Club balancing last week.

Interesting: when the brakes begin to squeak, if I take my foot off the brake pedal for a split second, and then reapply the brakes, the squeaking usually disappears.

I'm thinking that when SAM's Club Tech removed the tires, maybe he had some mild difficulty removing one tires from the hub and gave the tire a good hit with the palm of his hand to break it free. I've done this many times.

This may have loosened up some rust around the hub or brake area and this is what's causing the squeeking. Or something to this effect.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: Doog
Go to a $2 spray car wash and wash all 4 of your wheels and rinse well. Then if they are still squeaking, have the brake pads inspected.

Be careful. If the brakes/rotors are hot you can warp the rotors with a cold spray of water

I have been doing this for 20 years..no warped rotors yet. But I have had brakes squeal from built up dust or road salt and a quick power wash solves the issue. Now every Winter and Spring I power blast the wheels, under body and floor mats every 4-5 weeks. Just did all 3 of our cars this weekend.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Go to a $2 spray car wash and wash all 4 of your wheels and rinse well. Then if they are still squeaking, have the brake pads inspected.

Be careful. If the brakes/rotors are hot you can warp the rotors with a cold spray of water

I have been doing this for 20 years..no warped rotors yet. But I have had brakes squeal from built up dust or road salt and a quick power wash solves the issue. Now every Winter and Spring I power blast the wheels, under body and floor mats every 4-5 weeks. Just did all 3 of our cars this weekend.

Still stand behind my statement about cold water and HOT wheels. You can also warp rotors if the lug nuts are too tight oand/or uneven. Common issue with older BMWs. Not sure about other cars.

Hot rotors can warp when hit with cold water??? Nonsense. If that was the case than id of had alot of problems. If you drive your car in extremely hot temps and drive it hard and than bring it to a car wash and hit the wheels with cold water you say it will warp the rotors??!! Im using jobber rotors and do the above very often and never had problems.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Hot rotors can warp when hit with cold water??? Nonsense. If that was the case than id of had alot of problems. If you drive your car in extremely hot temps and drive it hard and than bring it to a car wash and hit the wheels with cold water you say it will warp the rotors??!! Im using jobber rotors and do the above very often and never had problems.

I say it can. I believe I have experienced it on my BMW. The circumstances could have been ideal for it to happen. Long hard drive on a hot day, well worn rotors which may have been thin. Washed the car at a diy car wash with lot of front wheel washing becuse of a lot of brake dust. Rotor induced vibration after that car wash. Check the web and other sources the issue seeems to pop up. Hey just my experience. OK

Last edited:
Doog asked, "Built Well did you check all of the lug nuts to be sure they are all tight?"

Sorry, I was away for almost a week. Got distracted on something else. Cars aren't my primary hobby, but I do like to take care of my Toyota. No, I didn't check the lug nuts this time, but I have in the past--and I've re-torqued them myself in the past. I asked the techs to what p.s.i. they tightened the lug nuts, and they said 80, which is close to Toyota's spec of 76.

The squeaking has just about gone away completely now--just a little squeaking on rare instances now. The squeaking does seem to be coming from the front right wheel/brake, if I were to hazard a guess. Seems to have gone away on its own. Still gotta wash my car's wheels and the car itself. Very, very few squeaking instances now, and when it happens it's very brief and much quieter.

I have rotated my tires myself on 2 or 3 occasions in the past, but it's a chore I don't relish. Maybe I'll buy an air gun / impact wrench to make it easier. Using muscle power with a 4-way lug wrench on 20 lug nuts is something I would do myself once a year, but twice a year removes the joy. It was neat to hoist my car in the air on 4 jack stands using a heavy-duty floor jack. Wish I would have taken a picture.

Thanks YonYon, CapriRacer, and everyone for the fantastic advice. Although I don't rotate my tires anymore, I still change the motor oil and the ATF myself at least yearly.

Go buy a craftsman battery powered impact wrench with a lithium ion battery & charger and an impact socket set. Tire rotations are a snap.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that "I usually never have the tires re-balanced when rotating, but several months ago, I had a flat within the first 2 or 3,000 miles with these new tires, and the hole was plugged..."

Heh, heh, guess who plugged the hole. It was a Toyota dealership. They didn't remove the tire from the rim; they just plugged the tire while it was still attached to the rim and car, so I would assume no patch was applied internally unless they have some new-fangled kind of plug-patch combo thingie now that works a bit like a dry-wall anchor, so that when you insert the plug into the tire a patch automatically folds out from the end of the plug when open space is reached. Does such a plug-patch combo thing exist, or did this particular Toyota dealership "repair" my nearly new tire with only 2 or 3,000 miles on it with only a plug and no patch at all? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
......Does such a plug-patch combo thing exist.....

Yes, such a thing exists, but it is questionable whether they are anywhere as reliable as the normal patch/plug combination.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Yes, such a thing exists, but it is questionable whether they are anywhere as reliable as the normal patch/plug combination.

Thanks. And I bought those 4 tires from that same dealership too. Lemme tell ya, the hole in the tire was a large one, not small. The visible portion of the plug was wide/thick. When they had finished "repairing" the tire, I asked one of the techs about the large-diameter sized plug, and the tech truthfully said the tire's hole was big enough to be borderline, meaning the tire's hole was big enough to cause them to replace the young, 2,000-mile-old tire with a brand new tire under the proactive warranty, which means the cost to me would have been minimal, having driven the tire for only 2,000 miles. But they decided to "repair" the tire instead.

Forgot to add:

....I actually don't mind the dealership repairing the tire, instead of replacing it. No need to waste the Earth's natural resources, right. But they could have removed the tire from the rim and patched the hole correctly from the inside instead of plugging from the outside.

I like my Toyota dealership; they usually do competent work being so familiar with Toyotas, but in the future I may be outsourcing tire work to another company, and buying my tires elsewhere too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back