Boston bombing suspect captured alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you want to get pedantic? Let's dance.

Law enforcement figured out who he was. Civilians provided the pictures and videos -- terabytes of them (a terabyte is a thousand gigabytes). The FBI website peaked at over 300,000 hits per second, much of which was for incoming information. Law enforcement picked through all of that and did the necessary legwork to find a needle in that haystack, without even knowing what the needle was going to look like. They got that job done within days of the incident.

Then, law enforcement responded to the murder at MIT, bloodied the guy a bit, killed his brother despite taking gunfire and having bombs chucked at them, and ran him to ground.

9,000 LEOs cannot blanket a whole town unless they kick down every door and search every room. Again, law enforcement relied on citizens to provide the final tip -- but again, they did the dirty work and stood in the path of the bullets.

This was a collaborative effort that involved good citizens and highly capable people in law enforcement. To pick out the one guy who made the final 911 call and imply that his action made everything else irrelevant is a bit silly.

I'll take a wild guess that, under the circumstances, Miranda warnings are meaningless - they already have enough evidence to convict him and don't need to use his custodial statements against HIM, or worry about their admissibility against HIM, hence no need to Mirandize him. They want to get and use whatever he knows to grab his co conspirators pdq.

Yes and the FBI questioned him after Russia sent us a warning he was trouble. Notice how when the public was allowed out he was caught by a neighbor that noticed blood. WHAT???? All day long seraches???Nobody saw a trail of blood???
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So I read that one of the two has been known to be problemmatic since 2008-2009, and should have been deported. Someone dropped the ball.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Strong work by law enforcement in Mass. Thanks guys.

9000 LEO with all their military toys couldn't find a guy 3/8ths of a mile from the initial point of contact in a supposedly "cleared" area.

It took a citizen with a cell phone to take the guy down.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Our founding fathers set up an excellent system in this country. We must do everything to ensure its continuation, especially in times of adversity.

I am pleasantly surprised how quickly they located these jokers. Nice job, and thanks to those involved! I wonder what the back-story is...

The excellent system we have shouldn't apply to the suspect if found guilty. He has no respect for human life. The constitutional rights shouldn't apply to a mass murderer.

I disagree our Constitution applies to every citizen there is no wiggle room for picking and choosing. This line of thought has gotten us into the mess that is our country today.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Think his insurance covers bleeding fugitive terror suspects?

Although he may have to pay to patch his boat, he'll never have to pay for any drinks in any bars anywhere ever again.
cheers3.gif

Did they impose martial law to catch this guy? How else could they walk into every home without warrants? Some people on TV were claiming they were asked to go home at gun point.
They sure did a great job of catching the guy, but at what price? What's next, random house searches because a random criminal is on the loose?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
I disagree our Constitution applies to every citizen there is no wiggle room for picking and choosing. This line of thought has gotten us into the mess that is our country today.

And people thinking like this is really frightening...

"You have inalienable rights...until you do something we consider really bad."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Did they impose martial law to catch this guy? How else could they walk into every home without warrants? Some people on TV were claiming they were asked to go home at gun point.
They sure did a great job of catching the guy, but at what price? What's next, random house searches because a random criminal is on the loose?
Yah it was an instant police state, obeyed voluntarily by the people. You can Monday morning quarterback this all you want. In fact , it will be and further improvements to contingencies will result. Game over, the police gathered up their stuff and went home. It is kinda hard to run a police state when all the troopers just want to go home. I think it shows what can be accomplished with cooperation. Even if all you did was to stay out of the way.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

They banned driving during the blizzard a few months ago. It worked pretty well and I just remember grumbling. Compare to those stranded on the Long Island Expressway.

I think most citizenry were more than happy to let the good guys chase a terrorist through their back yards, with live video on TV. Like a lopsided Red Sox game. If it weren't as black and white (good vs evil) more questions would be raised.

I think the MA Police, FBI, and all agencies involved did a great job. I'd have no problem cooperating with them at all.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Keep him alive.
I vote for life in prison.

sure, might as well make him a burden of the state and let the taxpayers pay for his education, meals, healthcare, etc etc. for the next 60+ years...Judas Priest, why do we incarcerate waste of life???

The simple fact is, with our system it's cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than it is to execute them. Though in this case I think the prognosis is this guy will be executed, same as McVeigh - after they get as much information as they can on his connections and motives.

Interesting tidbit. It was actually Dzhokar who killed his brother according to this:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2...is_brother.html

Quote:
At one point Tamerlan started walking directly toward the police while shooting, and when he ran out of ammunition an officer used the opportunity to tackle him. But when officers were handcuffing him in the middle of the street they suddenly realized a black SUV driven by Dzhokar Tsarnaev was coming right for them. The officers “dive out of the way, and he drives over his brother and drags him a short distance down the street."

Now, since Dzhokar was shot in neck, he could be paralyzed. Not sure if he will ever talk. It would be nice if we knew what exactly went through their sick heads, especially since Dzhokar appeared normal. His brother was clearly a religious extremist nut though.

Never mind, he was not paralyzed, at least when he got out from that boat. Why all the gun shots last night?

suspect_boat.jpg

Edit: I just saw this:

ht_facebook_meme_kb_130419_wmain.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

They are US citizens, unless they lied when they applied for citizenship they can't be deported.

only 1 of them was a US citizen, I think

So, what did these two have to gain by doing ANY of this? No demands, no cause, nothing. They just took the time, labour and expense to cobble up some cooker bombs to hurt random people, why?

Everyone wants to quickly say "duh, it was religion" but wasn't the married one and his wife practicing Christians? What I know is that everyone's gonna want to pin this on whomever they don't like; brown people, religions, gun advocates, the other guy's political party, Iraq, WMDs.. everyone's gonna want a piece of this.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
So, what did these two have to gain by doing ANY of this? No demands, no cause, nothing. They just took the time, labour and expense to cobble up some cooker bombs to hurt random people, why?

Everyone wants to quickly say "duh, it was religion" but wasn't the married one and his wife practicing Christians?

They were both Muslims. One of them the wife/GF encouraged Islam for him. Not sure where you got the "wife practicing Christians" stuff from. The human mind is a fertile and can be a highly sick place.....just look at the examples since day one. Imperfect animals. Just on a slightly higher order.

Suspectinboat660300_20130420_160817.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back