nice stash??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I wonder what kind of items they would document in my house?

"Charmin Ultra Toilet Paper - 11 rolls"
"one spent 9mm casing with gunpowder residue (recovered under fridge)"
"one sealed copy of Beatles Abby Road LP"
"Graduation Diploma from High School with superintendent signature"
"picture of child with large fish, possible coffee stain on back"
"One medium sized nail clippers with nail clippings and toe lint"
"used tampon with suspected blood residue"
"unusual collection of motor oil"

Humor with a touch of South Dakota neat man!!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Wow, I wonder what kind of items they would document in my house?

"Charmin Ultra Toilet Paper - 11 rolls"
"one spent 9mm casing with gunpowder residue (recovered under fridge)"
"one sealed copy of Beatles Abby Road LP"
"Graduation Diploma from High School with superintendent signature"
"picture of child with large fish, possible coffee stain on back"
"One medium sized nail clippers with nail clippings and toe lint"
"used tampon with suspected blood residue"
"unusual collection of motor oil"

Last edited:
There's a flawed logic in the entire gun control approach: that restricting the rights of the law-abiding will influence the behaviour of the criminal or psychopath.

We have reasonable laws to prevent the criminal gaining access to firearms...enforcing those laws would go a long way to keeping firearms out of the hands of those who use them to commit crimes...

Otherwise, to begin restricting firearms in any significant way, you would really need to change the US Constitution, and remove the 2nd Amendment which states "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The US Supreme Court has ruled that this is an individual right, not a collective one (as part of a militia). We all have the right to keep and bear them as individuals. That's what struck down the D.C. gun ban.

Yes, 3,000 people have died from firearms since Sandy Hook. You don't mention the number of those that were accidental, or gang-related, or criminal on criminal, or suicide. For the accidental firearms deaths, you could address those through education and other methods to reduce accidents. For the remainder, good luck, you have to reduce criminality first.

In that same timeframe, over 7,000 have died from accidents on our roadways. And over 30,000 have died from medical malpractice ...errors made by doctors and nurses...if you were really serious about reducing preventable deaths in the US, you would start with serious regulations on the medical industry, so that instead of an error rate that exceeds 1%, resulting in over 100,000 deaths per year, you could achieve the aviation industry error rate of 1 in 10 million...and save hundreds of thousands of lives without restricting a fundamental right of Americans.

And, as an American, I prefer to use our Constitution and law as the basis for analysis of US policy, rather than a poll of other nations' citizens, or their laws, as an approach to analyzing US policy...popular opinion is often deeply influenced by both emotionalism and regionalism...

So w e should do nothing re guns and start on serious regulation of the medical industry. The only problem with this kind of thinking is those deaths are by ACCIDENT AND ERRORS are not the same as loading a gun and pointing it at someone. Am I RIGHT??As I do parties and those kids look up at me I get more and more upset on how this country of ours thinks in alot of sections.But all of this is doing not much instead I have volunteered and am doing something I hope. I have gone to Newtown doing volunteering it makes things real in some ways.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
There's a flawed logic in the entire gun control approach: that restricting the rights of the law-abiding will influence the behaviour of the criminal or psychopath.

We have reasonable laws to prevent the criminal gaining access to firearms...enforcing those laws would go a long way to keeping firearms out of the hands of those who use them to commit crimes...

Otherwise, to begin restricting firearms in any significant way, you would really need to change the US Constitution, and remove the 2nd Amendment which states "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The US Supreme Court has ruled that this is an individual right, not a collective one (as part of a militia). We all have the right to keep and bear them as individuals. That's what struck down the D.C. gun ban.

Yes, 3,000 people have died from firearms since Sandy Hook. You don't mention the number of those that were accidental, or gang-related, or criminal on criminal, or suicide. For the accidental firearms deaths, you could address those through education and other methods to reduce accidents. For the remainder, good luck, you have to reduce criminality first.

In that same timeframe, over 7,000 have died from accidents on our roadways. And over 30,000 have died from medical malpractice ...errors made by doctors and nurses...if you were really serious about reducing preventable deaths in the US, you would start with serious regulations on the medical industry, so that instead of an error rate that exceeds 1%, resulting in over 100,000 deaths per year, you could achieve the aviation industry error rate of 1 in 10 million...and save hundreds of thousands of lives without restricting a fundamental right of Americans.

And, as an American, I prefer to use our Constitution and law as the basis for analysis of US policy, rather than a poll of other nations' citizens, or their laws, as an approach to analyzing US policy...popular opinion is often deeply influenced by both emotionalism and regionalism...

Exactly! I'm in favor of a few more laws the might close some loop-holes that allow criminals and mentally ill people from obtaining firearms legally. Of course, if they can't obtain them legally then they will steal them or get them through some illegal channel.

Start controlling the criminals and other people not worthy of owning firearms, and prosecute to the full extent of the law. Leave the upstanding, law abiding citizens be free.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
So w e should do nothing re guns and start on serious regulation of the medical industry. The only problem with this kind of thinking is those deaths are by ACCIDENT AND ERRORS are not the same as loading a gun and pointing it at someone. Am I RIGHT??As I do parties and those kids look up at me I get more and more upset on how this country of ours thinks in alot of sections.But all of this is doing not much instead I have volunteered and am doing something I hope. I have gone to Newtown doing volunteering it makes things real in some ways.

I didn't say that we should do nothing. I think we should address all the risks that kill children (since you happen to have them looking up at you, I'll stick with the risks to children and skip all the adult risks).

First - you seem to think that accidents are OK...I don't...if I had that mentality (as a pilot), I would have been a smoking hole a long time ago. Accidents can be reduced. Risk can be managed.

And you seem to ascribe to the logical fallacy that restricting the rights of those who obey the law will somehow affect the rates of criminal and psychopathic behaviour...

So, the things that kill children:

Firearms accidents killed 174 children last year. But another 1,200+ teens died from homicide...because when a 16 year old criminal kills a peer with a gun, it's lumped in with children's deaths, when in actuality, it's homicide...criminal on criminal violence.

Motor vehicles killed over 6,000.

1,236 died from drowning.

Child abuse and neglect killed over 2,000.

Nearly 2,000 died from fires.

And just using the medical malpractice numbers, and averaging for the population distribution, over 10,000 died from malpractice.

So, you can save the most children by focusing on those things that are most likely to kill children....the above mentioned causes...and, if you like, though less likely than those causes, the homicidal psychopaths that kill children.

Don't forget that 29 of the 186 victims of the Oklahoma City bombing were children in the daycare center. Another psychopath, politically motivated, who didn't need a gun to kill hundreds...he did it with fertilizer, diesel fuel and a rented truck...so, do we screen diesel fuel purchases? Fertilizer? Truck rentals?

Address firearms violence by addressing the violence, the crime. Mandatory jail time for a felony committed with a firearm, enforcement of the multitude of state and federal laws that prevent straw purchases, the laws that restrict felons and the mentally ill from owning guns. Address firearms accidents through risk management (education, safety devices, safe storage, etc. in the case of firearms).

Now, if you want to save adult lives, look at alcohol, heart disease, motor vehicles and the like...

You can make improvements in many of those risk areas without restricting a single Constitutional right.

Be careful of drawing the wrong conclusion based on the details of these crimes. The recent psychopaths in Arizona, Colorado and Connecticut had one political predilection...while Tim McVeigh had the opposite...so, should we ban guns in the hands of left wing nuts and ban Ryder Trucks from the hands of right wing nuts? Of course not, just like we shouldn't say that readers of the New York Times are likely murderers (an article from the NYT was among the "evidence" found at the shooter's home).

Finally, just because a firearm caused a death, it does not always follow that the death could have been prevented by removing the firearm. That death may have been the death of a felon shooting at a police officer, or an armed citizen, both of whom have a right to self-defense.

Against a larger, stronger, or younger assailant, the firearm becomes the only effective means that an smaller, weaker, or older, innocent person has to stop the life-threatening attack. Their right to self-defense (which is meaningless without the means) must be remembered in this discussion.

Last edited:
I used the example of someone loading a gun and pointing it at someone vs a medical screw up or a car accident. Sorry to have confused you.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Am I RIGHT??

Uh. No.

The part of how to address the firearm violence was to the point. The fact that a sick person can fire 155 rounds in 5 minutes is a clue we need to do more than talk. As I said I have time to volunteer which should help me feel I am going outside of the internet and doing something today other than talk.Also a 30 round magazine should fall into the machine gun thinking which by the way did away with deaths by such a gun. Too it is a shame a important fact as this is also involved with a lobby as many are and many are $$$$ affected by that fact. Most of one party and some of the other.

I didn't say that we should do nothing. I think we should address all the risks that kill children (since you happen to have them looking up at you, I'll stick with the risks to children and skip all the adult risks).

First - you seem to think that accidents are OK...I don't...if I had that mentality (as a pilot), I would have been a smoking hole a long time ago. Accidents can be reduced. Risk can be managed.

And you seem to ascribe to the logical fallacy that restricting the rights of those who obey the law will somehow affect the rates of criminal and psychopathic behaviour...

So, the things that kill children:

Firearms accidents killed 174 children last year. But another 1,200+ teens died from homicide...because when a 16 year old criminal kills a peer with a gun, it's lumped in with children's deaths, when in actuality, it's homicide...criminal on criminal violence.

Motor vehicles killed over 6,000.

1,236 died from drowning.

Child abuse and neglect killed over 2,000.

Nearly 2,000 died from fires.

And just using the medical malpractice numbers, and averaging for the population distribution, over 10,000 died from malpractice.

So, you can save the most children by focusing on those things that are most likely to kill children....the above mentioned causes...and, if you like, though less likely than those causes, the homicidal psychopaths that kill children.

Don't forget that 29 of the 186 victims of the Oklahoma City bombing were children in the daycare center. Another psychopath, politically motivated, who didn't need a gun to kill hundreds...he did it with fertilizer, diesel fuel and a rented truck...so, do we screen diesel fuel purchases? Fertilizer? Truck rentals?

Address firearms violence by addressing the violence, the crime. Mandatory jail time for a felony committed with a firearm, enforcement of the multitude of state and federal laws that prevent straw purchases, the laws that restrict felons and the mentally ill from owning guns. Address firearms accidents through risk management (education, safety devices, safe storage, etc. in the case of firearms).

Now, if you want to save adult lives, look at alcohol, heart disease, motor vehicles and the like...

You can make improvements in many of those risk areas without restricting a single Constitutional right.

Be careful of drawing the wrong conclusion based on the details of these crimes. The recent psychopaths in Arizona, Colorado and Connecticut had one political predilection...while Tim McVeigh had the opposite...so, should we ban guns in the hands of left wing nuts and ban Ryder Trucks from the hands of right wing nuts? Of course not, just like we shouldn't say that readers of the New York Times are likely murderers (an article from the NYT was among the "evidence" found at the shooter's home).

Finally, just because a firearm caused a death, it does not always follow that the death could have been prevented by removing the firearm. That death may have been the death of a felon shooting at a police officer, or an armed citizen, both of whom have a right to self-defense.

Against a larger, stronger, or younger assailant, the firearm becomes the only effective means that an smaller, weaker, or older, innocent person has to stop the life-threatening attack. Their right to self-defense (which is meaningless without the means) must be remembered in this discussion.

Also a 30 round magazine should fall into the machine gun thinking which by the way did away with deaths by such a gun.

In the case of the CT shooting, he could have had forty 5 round magazines the probably still would have killed the same number of people. Nobody there could defend themselves, and police can't arrive that fast. If any of those teachers had a weapon and knew how to use it, they could have popped that syco in the head when he wasn't looking and saved some lives.

He could have done it with a single-shot bolt action rifle, or a break-open shotgun. As you observed: there was no opposition, the police didn't arrive until he was done.

So, the "Massive Arsenal" was comprised of:

2 pistols (1 Glock, 1 Sig-Sauer)
1 Bushmaster
1 shotgun
1 bolt action .22
1 bolt action Enfield rifle

and a bb gun...

6 firearms and a bb gun...that's massive?

Yep...that's our media...accurate, unemotional, no sensationalism in how they reported this one...

Consider the news source this info came from.

Which simply adds proof that Lanza was a nut and should never have had access to the weapons. Which is what the law already said.

If it was so well known that he was as he was, and his mother encouraged him in shooting, then why wasn't the existing law already enforced?

We don't need more laws. The problem still isn't with the tool, it's with the loose nut behind the trigger.

Fix the loose nuts!

Very good idea but remember here in NYC which has lots of nuts running around we have the lower murder rate in the USA of large cities why???? Bloomberg. I heard speaking of Bloomberg and the soda ban which was displayed recently, in Mississippi they have banned any drink smaller than 20 oz.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Which simply adds proof that Lanza was a nut and should never have had access to the weapons. Which is what the law already said.

If it was so well known that he was as he was, and his mother encouraged him in shooting, then why wasn't the existing law already enforced?

We don't need more laws. The problem still isn't with the tool, it's with the loose nut behind the trigger.

Fix the loose nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back