Measuring Spoons

My wife has a lot of cookbooks and is a very good cook. We hate to eat out because the food is usually not as good as we get at home. She adjusts the salt and sugar quantities in recipes downwards (often by half), especially when using cookbooks from the 1960s and 70s. We keep notes of the adjustments and how they worked out.

Topic drift.

With an American cake recipe, I start with half the sugar or less. Most people's palate is used to cloyingly sweet and overly salty. I actually gave my friend Bill a salt lick on a rope for Christmas a few years back and I'm pretty sure he's using it. Looks like a donut made of salt. You hang it from a fence post for deer. It's pink. I bet it's hanging from his recliner.

For cooking, I don't really use recipes. Having cooked for 30 years I know my way around making most things.
So there's that too.

Many good cooks don't measure anything. They take a bit of this, a handful of that, a pinch of the other and you're good to go.
Like I said, measuring spoons are more for baking where precision is important. With baked goods, you can't taste and adjust because the flavor can be judged only on the finished product. Especially with baking powder, you want to be spot on, as too much tastes awful. A spice like a cardamom can be tricky to use. I have a gingerbread recipe that requires a dozen spices and some of them in very small quantities for 3 pounds of dough. A dash of this and a pinch of that doesn't do it. If it's not measured right the gingerbread won't have consistent taste from batch to batch. That's a problem when the family expects the same taste every year.

I think this thread has run its course. ;)

Last edited:
Many good cooks don't measure anything. They take a bit of this, a handful of that, a pinch of the other and you're good to go.
Huge drift. Warning!

As vava stated.......however I can bake a perfectly acceptable loaf of bread without measuring a thing.

Now move into newer territory.............I do measure, for sure. A new recipe for example. Maple syrup pie? How the heck??

My German sauerkraut started with 1920 grams of cabbage and recipe called for 2.5% salt. (or for guessers "about 3 TBSP" but this based on 1.5Kg in the recipe) 48 grams of salt seemed easier than 3 heaping TBSPs. :LOL: 🎯

In the spirit of the forum perhaps we should start a new post......What is the best cooking oil 😄

In the spirit of the forum perhaps we should start a new post......What is the best cooking oil 😄
Olive oil by a margin..........

Huge drift. Warning!

As vava stated.......however I can bake a perfectly acceptable loaf of bread without measuring a thing.
Bread is easy. Cake and torte not so much.
Now move into newer territory.............I do measure, for sure. A new recipe for example. Maple syrup pie? How the heck??

My German sauerkraut started with 1920 grams of cabbage and recipe called for 2.5% salt. (or for guessers "about 3 TBSP" but this based on 1.5Kg in the recipe) 48 grams of salt seemed easier than 3 heaping TBSPs. :LOL: 🎯
I refuse to make my own kraut! You gotta stomp on it barefoot for hours. Helps get the fermentation going. :sick:

Last edited:
Bread is easy. Cake and torte not so much.

I refuse to make my own kraut! You gotta stomp on it barefoot for hours. Helps get the fermentation going. :sick:
Agree. I leave the sweets to my Honey

Other than foot fungus, what stops you? The prices on good kraut are crazy high, and it's not great live kraut.

I have 2 bay leaves and 15 juniper berries in mine.

Agree. I leave the sweets to my Honey

Other than foot fungus, what stops you? The prices on good kraut are crazy high, and it's not great live kraut.

I have 2 bay leaves and 15 juniper berries in mine.
No mustard seeds and caraway seeds?

Back