1930 Bluebirsd speed record boat tested at speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19960892

Check out that drive shaft
shocked2.gif

Very cool, I love those old race boats.

As for the drive shaft, on straight shaft inboards it can be a real problem, I have seen them twist like candy canes. They might have already but in that application I would switch to a modern alloy like Aquamet 22.

I saw Miss American IX, she was the first boat to break 100. Sadly her very cool Packard V12 marine motors were taken back when the war started and she has to make do with much more humble power these days.

This is a cool boat, with very rare engines.

Back before modern diesels if you wanted to go fast you used big aircraft engines...that burned a lot of fuel...even by 1940's standards when gas was cheap they burned a lot of fuel...

Last edited:
My dad and I are on the search for a late 20's, early 30's Chris-Craft Cadet 22' model. It was the boat I grew up around and loved. My grandfather re-powered ours in the early 90's with a 425HP Ford 312 Interceptor. It would do well over 70Mph. Unfortunately, due to some familial relations issues that happened after my grandfather's passing, we were unable to ascertain the craft and it was sold at auction for the minimum bid, which was around 20K. My dad had offered 18.5 for it prior to the estate sale. Hopefully my aunt burns in [censored] for that.... But anyway.

Hopes are that we find one that is in need of restoration. We would like to reproduce the original, with the exception that the engine of choice will be a 1987 Ford 302 instead of the 312, as I have one in my garage from my late '87 GT T-top as well as the final drive marine adapter and marine manifolds for it. Power output should be similar.

I see this gem running around a lot in my area. She was based in the Thimble Islands for most of her life and her first owner loved going FAST and had lots of money to indulge. So as new power plants came out he re powered her. Now she has diesels but her last motors were Packard M2500 V12's...

Overkill an old Chris Craft is on my list...I want a 1950's barrel back!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back