Boating season is upon us

The fork lift service started on Saturday (4/1) at my marina where my boat is on rack storage.

Going to do a few things in April before I plan to use the boat in May.

First is to pull the heat exchanger, have it cleaned and tested and evaluated for its condition.

Next is to figure out the bow thruster.

I think I will have to just use up the gas without putting the boat under load.

The fork lift service started on Saturday (4/1) at my marina where my boat is on rack storage.

Going to do a few things in April before I plan to use the boat in May.

First is to pull the heat exchanger, have it cleaned and tested and evaluated for its condition.

Next is to figure out the bow thruster.

I think I will have to just use up the gas without putting the boat under load.
Bow thruster? How long is your boat?

You say "exchanger" as though it's singular, but any boat long enough for a bow thruster I've captained has twins?

Good luck, I know you are enjoying this boat as a project but I think by now you must be looking forward to actually spending a season on the water without large issues? :) I know your wife is!

Good luck, I know you are enjoying this boat as a project but I think by now you must be looking forward to actually spending a season on the water without large issues? :) I know your wife is!
My old boat was a project boat. This was not supposed to be a project boat.

The boat was surveyed and had a sea trial before purchase. Yet a problem with the outdrive was not discovered until the gear oil was changed in the outdrive several months after purchase. And COVID-19 caused problems with getting the needed outdrive parts the first year.

Last summer was just stupid. First a seized shifter and then overheating due to air in the closed cooling system that took me longer than it should have to figure out. So a learning curve.

Except for the bow thruster I do not believe there is anything that needs work. The heat exchanger is more of prev maint.

But I know more about the boat, engine and outdrive than I did a year ago.

We just had a few days of warm weather and I'm itching to get my boat wet, too. I just bought a new house with a short garage, so I cut the tongue on the boat trailer and put a hinge on it and was able to squeeze it in with room to spare. I've got to organize my fishing rods and clean some things up, but otherwise it's just hook up and head to the lake. It'll be a couple weeks before the fish start to bite, though.

I’ve had the boat out twice already pike fishing on the river. I get to the lake and run into a skating rink. Another week and the ice should be mostly gone.

Attachments

• F97FFE64-124D-421C-AD9E-45085814D4FA.jpeg
    F97FFE64-124D-421C-AD9E-45085814D4FA.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, things are stirring at the Marina here too, Supra will be coming out from her slumber. I just had dad order a pile of stuff for the Honda 9.9 so we can get that prepp'd.

Got the TC-W3 on tap. Labeled it as “boat” oil so no one gets it wrong. This is Canadian Tire store brand made by Mystic. It’s a few years old and uses the old Formula 1 brand.

5A65FC20-ED43-4A9E-AEAA-68F23E1FF83F.jpeg
BF164C84-4EF5-4AE7-A432-60B081D04770.jpeg

Last edited:
I got mine up and running last week, put the outdrive back on after greasing everything and she fired up on the 2nd crank over. Now to paint the outdrive with anti fouling paint and get the yard to paint the bottom. I'll do the outdrive but not the whole bottom. That's what an outdrive looks like when the boat's been moored in salt water for over 20 seasons worth. Looks bad but works great.
drive jack.JPG
Setting dwell, idle and timing old school auto shop 101.JPG

old school tune up circa 1970s, dwell, timing, idle, idle mixture....

I got mine up and running last week, put the outdrive back on after greasing everything and she fired up on the 2nd crank over. Now to paint the outdrive with anti fouling paint and get the yard to paint the bottom. I'll do the outdrive but not the whole bottom. That's what an outdrive looks like when the boat's been moored in salt water for over 20 seasons worth. Looks bad but works great.
View attachment 152238View attachment 152239
old school tune up circa 1970s, dwell, timing, idle, idle mixture....
That outdrive looks like a giant anode.
If it works don't fix it.

Back