Electric Boat Fun

Drove to the marina for a coffee break and the guys were clustered around this new electric runabout boat that had just arrived for demonstrations over the next few days. One of the guys said "Want to try it?" "Oh, heck yeah!"

This is a Magonis Wave e-550. ~40hp, ~22kt top speed but it felt quicker. Fun little boat; planed quick enough and handled really well. I think all of the weight centered and low in the boat (batteries) seemed to make it want to roll out of turns, you had to consciously keep wheel into the turn, but it wasn't a problem at all. Heavy steering, which I liked. I did a series of fast (well ~20kts!) figures 8's to generate waves than plowed through them, boat took it fine. Got into a very slight bit of Buzzards Bay chop, did fine but this isn't an ocean boat aside from being a tender for sheltered areas. Would be ideal on a small lake or pond. Oddly, it had a noticeable mechanical growl from the motor, gearing I assume. I actually liked it, wasn't loud or obtrusive but you knew something was going on back there....eerily silent electric vehicles are just wrong ;)

Back at the dock, I was surprised by how well built it was, at least in finish and details like wiring, trim and panel edges, etc. Equal to or better than most current common boats.

Glad I decided to step away from the office then, timing is everything.

Magb3.jpg

Magb1.jpg

Last edited:
I was out on Lake Union in Seattle a little while ago on an antique wooden boat that was converted to electric. It was simply great getting rid of all that noise. I can’t comment on the pros/cons of range, reliability, cost etc. on ice vs. battery for boats right now, but the pleasure factor was greatly increased.

I was out on Lake Union in Seattle a little while ago on an antique wooden boat that was converted to electric. It was simply great getting rid of all that noise. I can’t comment on the pros/cons of range, reliability, cost etc. on ice vs. battery for boats right now, but the pleasure factor was greatly increased.
Converting a classic wooden inboard to electric should be a capital offense :D

I think I tolerate the time and effort in keeping our antique just to hear that v8 through water exhausts!

I think I tolerate the time and effort in keeping our antique just to hear that v8 through water exhausts!

V8? Oh no. I think it was originally steam powered. (This is a reproduction anyway, not a 19th C. Original).

35840B33-40E6-4F73-8DF7-970869C23AF5.jpeg

Steam powered to electric? That should be a crime against humanity! Pretty boat though.
You and my maternal grandfather can fight that out. He went from running steam locomotives to diesel-electric and he likened it to going from oil lanterns and outhouses to electricity and indoor plumbing. He’s been gone about 40 years so it will have to be a more “theoretical” argument. ;)

Interestingly, I was wrong and that boat was originally electric powered in the 1890s. I just double-checked. That particular design was copied from an 1890s vintage Elco electric lake launch.

https://www.cwb.org/program-boats/dora

Converting a classic wooden inboard to electric should be a capital offense :D

Imagine if this was a real Garwood barrel back.

I wonder what the torque rating is on the 40HP electric? I would have jumped at the chance to pilot that boat..... Looks like fun.
I did a bit more research after driving the boat and I believe that Torqueedo is the power system OEM. If so, they spec 129nm torque for the 40 hp drive, so about 95ftlb for non-metric folk.

Heres our hybrid (hybrid in that it can be powered electrically or by Ice)

This one has a 10 HP electric for harbor cruising rentals. (you can only go 5-7MPH regardless of the mill anyway)

We can put a small block in it if the customer wants.

This boat took 5 man years to design and create the molds for- and for the most part is a 2 piece boat.
The entire interior aside from the cushions, captain seat, and table is molded into the upper.

The veil process we used is indistinguishable from wood even 1 foot away, gives guys the classic wooden look, but with none of the maintenance.

IMG_5242.jpeg
IMG_5238.jpeg
IMG_3979 (1).jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg

Last edited:
In the first and second photos: Is the taping on the floor to weatherproof a hatchway...for which appropriate weather strips are not yet available?
That is the battery hatch and it was resealed. The tape was protecting the caulk until it reached final cure.

Back