How can an oil filter come loose after 3K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet the shop loosened the filter (since it is hard to get at) but never changed it. The same thing happened on my buddy's Ranger.

I had changed the oil for him and used a filter that he bought. The filter had a scratch on the paint, but was otherwise useable.

The next time he changed his oil, he just went to the local Midas since I was away. The following oil change I did. The same filter was on there that I put on the first time, and this time it was very loose. One turn by hand and it fell right off. My thoughts are they loosened the filter with a wrench, then never changed it. Luckily the filter wasn't on very long since he did a few long highway drives during the change interval.

I cannot fathom how any properly-installed filter would ever just come loose, in the failure mode you describe.

However, a loosely applied filter (or one that was loosened but not removed and replaced) could likely have a very poor seating pressure that would vibrate loose in some manner of distance, depending on each application.

I also don't know that any major filter brand has published torque specs. Just about every box and/or filter canister simply has the little diagram of the filter and a circular arrow indicating perhaps 2/3 or 3/4 to maybe 1 full turn. Some indicate lubing the gasket; some do not.

This sucks, but I have serious doubts that you'll be able to pin this on anyone. If it had happened 300 yards down the road after the oil change, then you'd have a very good case to pursue. But after 3k miles? There is ZERO ability for you to place blame. The plausible deniability with all the various options simply makes for too much descretion in avoidance. No jury or arbitor would ever find in your favor.

Simply put, you're wrapped around a linear axis in an inclining helical plane ...

Originally Posted By: Tink

...and with the cut-out on the skid-plate for the filter, you can barely get your fingers around the filter anyway.

I am thinking here is the core cause of the problem. Either they started to change the filter but didn't finish, or did not get the new one on properly.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I bet the shop loosened the filter (since it is hard to get at) but never changed it. The same thing happened on my buddy's Ranger.

I had changed the oil for him and used a filter that he bought. The filter had a scratch on the paint, but was otherwise useable.

The next time he changed his oil, he just went to the local Midas since I was away. The following oil change I did. The same filter was on there that I put on the first time, and this time it was very loose. One turn by hand and it fell right off. My thoughts are they loosened the filter with a wrench, then never changed it. Luckily the filter wasn't on very long since he did a few long highway drives during the change interval.
I don't doubt it, I once saw a 389 Pontiac with 7 plugs of one brand and one of another. The plug that didn't match was in a difficult spot to reach and was in VERY bad shape when removed.

Did the place that did the oil change 3k miles ago, do the oil change previous to that?

What I'm getting at is if you can point to the filter that fell off and say that the last place to change the oil didn't use that specific kind of filter at the time of the change, then you can deduct that they didn't change it and possibly did loosen it to change it but never removed it or tightened it back up.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
No jury or arbitor would ever find in your favor.

I disagree.
If the dealer is the last place you had the oil changed and the filter fell off before the next scheduled oil change, they are at fault.
We have something called small claims court in Canada and for a very reasonable fee, you can bring your case to the judge. I feel you have an avenue if you have that type of a system. In any case it would be worth your while to get a legal opinion on this one.

We have small claims courts in the US too, but the burden of proof looms very large on this one.

Like I said, if it happened shortly after the OCI, then it'd probably be a slam dunk. But 3k miles later? Probably not. There are too many "unknowns" where the defendent (the installer) could point towards other possible contributing causes. This becomes a "he said; she said" issue.

If the dealership was even remotely automated in today's methods, they probably have a "checksheet" or data file system for every service. They could probably pull up the records and show where they "checked" all the right boxes. Now, that does not mean it physically, actually happened under the vehicle, but the paperwork is going to show that it happened. And that would trump any amount of "yabut" (yeah, but ...) arugment.

You know, the same goes for things like tire services. Ever read the fine details, and even your owner's manual? Typically, when tires are rotated, you're supposed to check the lug nuts after driving (typically) 500 miles. How many of us do that? Once installed, they are forgotten until the next go-round. The same thing probably exists in the service details of the dealership OCI paperwork. They probably have a clause to mandate either checking for leaks, or tightness, etc.

Further, the lube installer could even defer some or all of the problem onto the owner, for having a lube warning system that was not fully operational. Think of the OPs statements here; he specifically mentioned that the oil pressure system (oil pressure idiot light, etc) did not illuminate. That means some portion of the warning system was not functioning properly. If the warning light had been working correctly, then the driver would have had fair warning to stop the engine before it seized. Additionally, the owner/driver both realized there was a problem, but made a conscious decision to drive the vehicle to a repair shop rather than have it towed, so they have some significant culpability there as well. His own statement was that his son heard a strange noise, and stopped to call his dad, and only then decided to restart the engine and continue to drive. They suspected an engine malfunction, but ignored it. The oil lube installer is NOT responsible for assuring the oil pressure system warning is operational, nor is he responsible for the decision to drive the car after a probelm was suspected. Between their own decision to drive the car after suspecting a problem, and a faulty oil pressure warning system, the defendent (the dealership) could EASILY claim no fault.

Was the dealership likely the root cause? Probably so.
Are they going to be held accoutable? Probably not. AS I said before; too much plausible deniability.

I stand by my prediction; he'd lose. The preponderence of the evidence is probably against him. I like rooting for the under-dog as much as the next guy, but I'm not so foolish as to bet on the under-dog in this case.

Last edited:
In 4 + decades of fooling around with cars I've never had one come loose. Odds are it wasn't installed properly. Or it was loosened up and not changed or re-tightened again. I'd give small claims court a shot, odds are as dnewton said you're probably not going to win, but OTOH you're out an engine so you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

I agree with dnewton3 on this one. For this to happen 3000 miles after the oil change, along with all the other circumstances involved, I don't think taking this to court would be worth while at all. But if the OP wants to spend some time and money to try to get something out of the dealership, then it's totally his prerogative. But IMO, the dealership has way too many "outs" in this case. I mean they could simply say: "How do we know someone didn't vandalize this guys car by loosening the oil filter? We never see any oil filters loosed up by themselves after 3000 miles." The plaintiff could never prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the dealership was responsible for the filter coming loose 3000 miles later.

Years ago, I moonlighted doing fleet service on the weekends. Once, a truckdriver at a lumberyard I serviced stopped me and informed me that the oil filter came loose on his truck after I had serviced it. I guess I looked panic-stricken, because he started laughing and said he knew it wasn't my fault when it came loose twice more before he got home. Turns out the the pressure relief valve in the oil pump was stuck wide-open. New oil pump, no more problem. Only time I've ever heard of this.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

What I'm getting at is if you can point to the filter that fell off and say that the last place to change the oil didn't use that specific kind of filter at the time of the change, then you can deduct that they didn't change it and possibly did loosen it to change it but never removed it or tightened it back up.

The filter did not fall off, it was just loose and all of the oil evacuated under pressure from there.

Originally Posted By: Danno

We have something called small claims court in Canada and for a very reasonable fee, you can bring your case to the judge. I feel you have an avenue if you have that type of a system. In any case it would be worth your while to get a legal opinion on this one.

Did that, and I had the repair receipt from the dealership that rebuilt the engine that said (effectively) that the engine seized due to a catastrophic loss of oil due to a LOOSE OIL FILTER. Unfortunately, in OUR screwed up legal system, heresay is not always allowed even in small claims court, and so no representative of the dealership that did the repair was present to say "Yeah, that is our receipt" - so the repair receipt is considered heresay.

Why bother with small claims if you have to spend the $$$ to subpoena somebody 260 miles away to come and say "that is our paper"... really stupid, especially with me there swearing that it is the paper I got from them.

Further, the lube installer could even defer some or all of the problem onto the owner, for having a lube warning system that was not fully operational. Think of the OPs statements here; he specifically mentioned that the oil pressure system (oil pressure idiot light, etc) did not illuminate. That means some portion of the warning system was not functioning properly.

Not necessarily. It takes time to pump out the oil, and the distance driven was very short - less than a couple of miles I think. So on the way to the destination, the filter finally comes loose and oil is pumped out about the time he gets there. It sits for a few hours allowing oil all over the engine to drip down into the pan/reservoir, and then he starts it up and drives back home, only to have it seize up. The service manager at the dealership said that they verified that the oil pressure system was working properly.

If the warning light had been working correctly, then the driver would have had fair warning to stop the engine before it seized. Additionally, the owner/driver both realized there was a problem, but made a conscious decision to drive the vehicle to a repair shop rather than have it towed, so they have some significant culpability there as well. His own statement was that his son heard a strange noise, and stopped to call his dad, and only then decided to restart the engine and continue to drive. They suspected an engine malfunction, but ignored it.

Not quite - according to the dealership, by the time the oil pressure light comes on, if it had come on, it is already too late - damage is done. When the noise was heard, there was no oil pressure light or check engine light. I was called when he got to his destination (no lights still) and that is why I told him to call the dealership, but before it could be towed to the dealership if that is what they wanted done, it had to be parked where it would not get towed by the campus police. So, since there were no lights, I told him to drive it someplace where he could park it until he called the dealership. I am also of the belief that if it takes that long for an oil pressure light to come on, then you might as well not have it, or perhaps the dealership was wrong and the oil pressure light was not actually working properly.

The oil lube installer is NOT responsible for assuring the oil pressure system warning is operational, nor is he responsible for the decision to drive the car after a probelm was suspected. Between their own decision to drive the car after suspecting a problem, and a faulty oil pressure warning system, the defendent (the dealership) could EASILY claim no fault.

Except that in the absence of any sort of a warning light, we are suppose to be able to drive it to a repair place to have the problem checked out. Driving it with a check-engine or low oil pressure light definitely would have put the blame on us.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
...But IMO, the dealership has way too many "outs" in this case. I mean they could simply say: "How do we know someone didn't vandalize this guys car by loosening the oil filter? We never see any oil filters loosed up by themselves after 3000 miles." The plaintiff could never prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the dealership was responsible for the filter coming loose 3000 miles later.

A valid argument normally, but A) the Jeep has an under carriage plastic plate with a cut-out for the oil filter - if you try to get in there to remove the filter by hand, it is difficult if not impossible to get your fingers up around it. B) If, as the service procedure for this vehicle states the filter was tightened to 10 ft-lbs of torque, and then it gets even tighter with driving, then it is impossible to remove with your hand, and C) somebody I know who used to manage the fleet for the USPS (which uses a 'few' Jeeps) said that while very unusual, it is not unheard of for a filter to come loose after many miles.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Could the threads on the filter be faulty, cross threaded or stripped?

The filter remained on the vehicle and was just covered with the oil pumped out around where it screws onto the vehicle, and so the dealership that rebuilt the engine examined it and said that the filter and its threads (and the gasket) were fine.

Not quite - according to the dealership, by the time the oil pressure light comes on, if it had come on, it is already too late - damage is done. When the noise was heard, there was no oil pressure light or check engine light.

If there was never any low oil pressure light during any of this time, then the low oil pressure warning system was not working correctly.

I once had my oil filter come loose like this. I had my oil changed at by my mom at a quick lube place since I was in another city. She drove to pick me up and I rented a trailer from uhaul and drove back home with her and my wife.
It was about 10 days and 2500km. I returned the trailer the morning after returning and when I got home found a puddle of oil in the snow. I called lubex and of course they said they're not at fault and the engine vibration shook it loose. Bu//&#*+. I'm glad it didn't happen @ 2am through the Rockies.
I put 90,000km on the truck before I sold it with over 300,000k I doubt it would have lasted that long if it had a problem shaking filters loose.

My mom's previous oil change was done at Midas with some kind of coupon for $25.

I borrowed her car and told her I'd give it an oil change while I had it since O'Reilly has their $12 oil change special, and it was about due months wise.

I reached down in to position the oil filter wrench and lightly bumped the filter with my thumb... and the oil filter was unscrewing!

They apparently didn't tighten it worth a [censored]. It's amazing it didn't fall off as loose as it was. It was on the car 6 months that way but my mom barely puts 20 miles a month on it.. if that even.

I think their arms were too fat to reach in and properly tighten it so they said the [censored] with it. I admit, it's a slightly hard reach in a Taurus 3.0 OHV. I have long skinny arms so it's no problem for me.

Tink - your statements are becoming contradictory. (And I'd note that this would not benefit you at all in court ...)

Here is what you initially said:

The oil appears to have pumped out rapidly as there was no "check engine" light or oil pressure light. My son who was driving drove a couple of miles and heard a strange noise in the engine (but no low-oil lights!) so he called me when he arrived, and I told him to park it in a safe place (lots of tow-away zones at a college) and call the local dealership in the morning. The safest place to park it was back in the large lot a couple of miles away, but it seized up on his way there - again, until the actual seize up, no trouble lights were on.

But here are some of your statements now ...

Not necessarily. It takes time to pump out the oil, and the distance driven was very short - less than a couple of miles I think. So on the way to the destination, the filter finally comes loose and oil is pumped out about the time he gets there. It sits for a few hours allowing oil all over the engine to drip down into the pan/reservoir, and then he starts it up and drives back home, only to have it seize up. The service manager at the dealership said that they verified that the oil pressure system was working properly.

I'll note that first you said it "pumped out rapidly", and yet now you state "It takes time ...". Sir, you have zero idea how long it took to pump out the oil; it could have been quick or taken a long time. And there is zero assurance that the loss of lube was at a constant rate; it could have started slowly and escalated over undetermined period of time. If the engine was low enough on lube to make a "strange noise" and alert your son, then there would be been very little oil left upon restart. An engine that has been warmed up will return oil to the pan very quickly, and therefore by the time the engine was making noise, it was (nearly) devoid of oil, and upon shut down, had very little left to drain back for restart. Here is what you know; it lost oil at a rate sigificant enough to cause a noise, and ultimate failure. Nothing more; nothing less.

Originally Posted By: tink
Not quite - according to the dealership, by the time the oil pressure light comes on, if it had come on, it is already too late - damage is done. When the noise was heard, there was no oil pressure light or check engine light. I was called when he got to his destination (no lights still) and that is why I told him to call the dealership, but before it could be towed to the dealership if that is what they wanted done, it had to be parked where it would not get towed by the campus police. So, since there were no lights, I told him to drive it someplace where he could park it until he called the dealership. I am also of the belief that if it takes that long for an oil pressure light to come on, then you might as well not have it, or perhaps the dealership was wrong and the oil pressure light was not actually working properly.

Here is what you said at first, twice ...
" ... but no low-oil lights ..." and " ... no trouble lights were on."
First, we have contradicting information. You state twice that your son affirms the warning systems did not alert him, but the dealership indicates it's functioning. You need to determine which is true.
Next, you'd need to better define what functions you're speaking of. Are you talking about low oil level lights, or low oil pressure lights? There is a difference.
And I would disagree with your dealer here. We should define what damage means in terms of engine damage and regard to what kind of timeline. If the engine lost all oil pressure, and the low oil pressure light came on, and one shut down the engine within 15 seconds (a reasonable time to glance down and see a light) then I SERIOUSLY doubt total destruction would be the result. While the oil film is very important to reducing wear, I'd remind us all that there is little if any pressure at start up, especially when cold. A loss of pressure and resulting quick shutdown is not likely to damage the bearings any more than the hundred "dry" starts after an oil change, or the thousands of starts during an engine's lifecycle before the pressure is fully up to the top end. Further, the tribochemical barrier (the desirable physical film present on surfaces as a result of oxidation) does not drain down with the loss of oil; it is a film present at all times, to varying degrees. And so, even though one might loose the hydrodynamic film barrier due to no oil pressure, the tribochemical barrier would still be protecting the surfaces for a short time. Therefore, if your son had noticed a low oil pressure warning light in a resonable amount of time (10-15 seconds perhaps), I'd contend that little if any damage would be present. But you claim the engine has sezied And hence, I can only deduce one of two things is true:
1) the low oil pressure warning system was not working (as you indicated twice, but now contradict due to the dealer's statement), or ...
2) the system was operational but your son was unaware of it for a LOT longer than he should have been

Let me tell you about my interpretation of true engine seizure. I have never had it happen to me personally , but I've seen several examples in videos, etc. It takes MINUTES for engines to seize up from no oil pressure, not seconds. I've seen car shows such as "Top Gear" where they purposely drained the oil out, and drove around to kill the engines, in an attempt to decide which is the toughtest engine. It took several minutes. I've seen the same thing in video clips where engines were purposely sezied; no oil and it takes several minutes. I've been at a demo-derby where a vehicle lost all oil on the track, lost all coolant, and STILL RAN for more than five, screeching horrid minutes before total seizure. Additionally, they often overheat on the way to seizure. These are not absolute assurances, but they most certainly are reasonable generalizations. Therefore, I contend that one of those two aforementioned conditions HAD to be present.

Let's look at your statements in regard to a timeline ... I am combining the info from your mutliple statements, and trying to piece together what really happened.
From a matter of sequential events, here's what you've generally told us:
- your son was driving and heard a "strange noise", but no lights were on at that time
- he shut it down and called you
- you told him to move and then park it so it would not be towed by campus police, and then to call the dealership in the morning
- he restarted it to move it where it would not be towed by campus police (unclear if the noise continued)
- he drove less than a few miles (still no engine light)
- it seized

Look, when you are the plaintiff, the burden of proof is upon you. The defendent (whom really is yet to be defined) only has to deflect blame here. You could presume the defendent is the filter installer, but they could also deflect blame to the filter maker. Again - they don't have to prove what happened; you do. They only have to deflect blame with plausible options. For example, the installer could claim that the gasket material on the filter was root cause failure. So, you'd also have to name the filter maker as a co-defendent. And they (the filter makers) have warranty stipulations about making claims in a timely fassion, and also include inspection rights. Have you complied with those as well? The installer could claim that the filter itself was defective, and that it was not the installation that cause the failure. The filter maker could claim the opposite to be true. And so it is upon YOU to prove what really happened. And I mean PROVE what happened, not throw out conjecture and say "somebody owes me a new engine". Additionally, you'll have to definitively prove whether or not the oil pressure warning system was working properly. The rate of oil loss is really an unknown, and cannot be proven beyond any reasonable doubt. Even if your state only required preponderence of evidence for small claims civil actions, you're stil the one that has to prove what occured. If you claim a low oil-loss rate, where is your basis? If you claim an immeidate loss of lube, what is your proof? You have circumstantial statements, but no viable proof.

You can certainly take this to small claims, but to actually have an expectation of winning, you're going to need this as a minimum:
1) inspection of the filter by the maker, and a statement of suitability of resaonable function admissable in court; hopefully the claims period is not expired. You'd possibly have to name them as co-defendents
2) independent qualified inspection of the oil warning system by a source that is willing to testify in person in court, or provide assertion of statement via an affidavit under penality of perjury (at your cost intially, I might add; you would only be reimbursed for this if you win the case)
3) clear, consise timeline and testimony from you and your son
4) admissible statements from the service installaion facility, or their direct participation, as defendent or co-defendent

By the way, if you compell people to appear, I believe you are liable for their costs (time, travel, etc). If you win, and you have compelled people to appear, you can be held accountable for their costs, but you could ask for that reimbursement in the judgement. So, if you name co-defendents, it is possible that there might even be a split decision, and each state holds those accoutable in differnt manners, so I'll not say what may or may not happen; it could be partial award of fault. Or, they would have to bring suit separately; one against the other after your case? But if you lose .... you are likely to be accoutable for ALL compelled costs for any/all defendents. And so not only would you be buying an engine for your son's car, but paying for all the costs involved in your losing case.

So - how confident are you that you can WIN a small claims case, given your lack of evidence and somewhat contradictory statements?

Like I said, you may be the victim here as someone caused harm to your situation, but I SERIOUSLY doubt you'd win in court. And to prove it takes a lot of time and money up front on your part, plus the acknowledgement that there is signficiant risk in that you'll have even more costs after judgement if you loose. You could consult an atty in your area, and that might be a good idea, but that, too, adds to your costs.

Good luck. I hope some of my thoughts will help you prepare for what is sure to be a long, uphill, agonizing, expensive battle with no clear assurance of victory.

I hope you can prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back