Wix 51358 concerns

I had been a long time fan and user of Wix oil filters. Now that most of them are just Purolator filters painted black, I won't be buying any more.
Just an overpriced, poorly made filter unfortunately.

I would call the manufacturer. Engineering might want to take a look at it.
I did call them. Told him the whole story that I had two of these happen in a row. In fact, I asked to speak to engineering because I think they have a design flaw. I took down the details and said they get back to me and never did. I really don’t think they care.

The guts of the filter should be tight due to the spring in the dome end compressing the filter cartridge inside the can down on the ADBV, which is sandwiched between the cartridge and base plate. Looks like the ADBV is getting pinched/cut and coming apart. Could be the ADBV has an improper fit on how it sandwiches between the base plate and cartridge. You'd have to cut a new filter open and do a careful stack-up fit analysis.
I do have an unused one on my bench, so I will cut that open later on this weekend

Last edited:
I did call them. Told him the whole story that I had two of these happen in a row. In fact, I asked to speak to engineering because I think they have a design flaw. I took down the details and said they get back to me and never did. I really don’t think they care.
Great work contacting Wix. This sort of customer feedback is golden and for you not to receive a timely callback shows the type of leadership and culture Wix has. Wix has either a Design for Manufacturability problem (Poka-Yoke) or a Process Capability problem.

Looking forward to seeing the new one you'll be cutting open.

What is the date code? I am interested to know.

I won't buy any M&H products any longer, after they cheapened their air filters and wouldn't call me back - I was wondering if it was fake.

Is it a 57356? If so, its not a low run filter - fits a ton of Nissan / Honda, some older Hyundai's, a couple Dodge products. I still have 4 left I have been hesitant to use but I have not had an issue with them (yet)

Urrently Pennzoil filters made in China.
Interesting, Thanks for that information. A lot of people may knock some particular foreign products but I've seen your China filter posts & there are some that look absolutely fantastic. But just like anywhere else you can find good & bad. At least Pennzoil has a huge stake in North America so it's good to hear they are taking quality seriously.

Open the filter box and inspect the filter before buying or installing.
I’ve seen this particular problem before. I was at O’Reilly Auto Parts shopping for an oil filter. I opened the box and the ADBV was clearly not centered. I found another that wasn’t defective. By the way, this was in the Affinity era.

IMG_4365.jpeg

Here is the date code on the two filters that failed. You had me nervous that they were counterfeit, but but I think I bought four of them at the same time.

I will cut open the new one when I’m back in the garage in my dirty clothes later on the weekend.

And here is the unused filter cut open. There is not much holding the ADBV in place but a thin peice of the rubber valve. Overall a cheep design.
IMG_4368.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 9
Mann has been cranking out oil filters as fast as they can make them in the US-one of my local NAPA owners/franchisees said NAPA is going to drop them as their primary oil filter manufacturer (due to inability to supply them). He didn’t say who was replacing them, but FB/Champ or Premium Guard wouldn’t surprise me. Since Mann bought Affinia the price has been through the roof, quality is in the toilet. Not a good combination…

They use a black ADBV now? :(

That's not the reason it tore, as even the silicone has problems with Wix.

Also, that 51358 is too dinky. Use the 57356 size instead. Any Fram 7317 will do the job better than Purolator :sneaky:

They are pretty old, as @fantastic pointed out, they were made on 10/18/2023. Was the ADBV in the used filters much less flexible than the ADBV in the new one you cut open?
The ADBV in the old ones were quite flexible. Just as flexible as the unused one.

I put the unused ADBV in the freezer to see if it’s stiffens up in the cold.

And the date that they were made was 2018 just to correct your post. I think I either bought four or six pack of them and that would make sense as the car only gets an oil change once a year at about 3000 miles per year

I put the unused ADBV in the freezer to see if it’s stiffens up in the cold.
If you are trying to determine if they are nitrile rubber, clean off the new one and light it on fire outside to see if it has black or white smoke. If it's black smoke it's nitrile, and if white smoke it's silicone. I'm sure those are nitrile rubber.

Back