Wix 51358 concerns

71252900583__A81B5F49-88D5-4D29-B9FC-926882943239.jpeg

So this is happened to me twice on my 2011 Infiniti with using a wix filters. As you can see in the photo it looks like the anti drain back valve is being cut and luckily the piece that it’s cutting off is staying with the filter. If this would’ve broken loose, it definitely would’ve taken out a bearing.

I’ve use the wicks filters are almost all my cars but now this one’s got the factory filter on. Called the company and they said they’d call back. I don’t think they really care.

Has anybody seen this happen before?

I think it’s the colder winter starts that is pushing the filter element down and when the element is coming back it is cutting the drain back valve.

Sure that's not the glue/sealant that seals the baseplate? Mann built filters do seem to cut ADBVs, but usually not like that.
Unfortunately, not! I’m really surprised as well. I can see the glue in some of the other filters as I have four of them on my workbench now. Two of them have the cut material one of them you can see the glue.

But this is definitely rubber. I’ll cut the two filters that did this apart to have a look at the ABDV to see where is clipped it off. I’m just lucky it stayed attached but really disappointed.

Attached to what exactly? Can you lift up the end near the gasket like a tail or is it glued to the baseplate?

The perspective in the picture makes it so I can't tell.

IMG_4354.jpeg

I took a minute and cut open the filter. So it is the anti-drain back valve that is being cut. Looks like the filter is moving too far down and allowing it to be in cut.

Attachments

• IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 32
I think its time to jettison the Wix brand and shop for a new one!
I have a new one on my workbench, and just said no. Grabbed one from the dealer to complete the oil change. I will never put a wicks on the infiniti again. I think it’s just this filter as it’s probably low-volume.

Thats disappointing. I have always been a fan of wix.
Me too. I used to buy six filters at a time. I have nine cars so I use them up, but never will I do that again. Although I think it’s just this model of filter but I’m spooked with the wix brand now.

Yeah, 2 in a row... 1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me, 3rd time... Next brand. Unfortunately, this would sour me forever too. But we have decent other options out there these days. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with other than Wix.

I was until they unleashed “PROTEC BY WIX”. I won’t ever put a wix on family or friends vehicles. PROTEC tearing left and right. They ought to be ashamed. Why my work went to China made PENNZOIL filters.
I thought Pennzoil was made by Mann & Hummel too? But if they're built better than Protec then it doesn't matter I suppose.

View attachment 172130

I took a minute and cut open the filter. So it is the anti-drain back valve that is being cut. Looks like the filter is moving too far down and allowing it to be in cut.
It looks like either an automated machine or a person if a manual operation was not able to recognize the anti drainback wasn't centered over the baseplate opening and proceeded to final assemble the filter cutting it in the process. This also means they have no automated final inspection to catch a defect like this. This is the most critical opening in the filter.

It looks like either an automated machine or a person if a manual operation was not able to recognize the anti drainback wasn't centered over the baseplate opening and proceeded to final assemble the filter cutting it in the process. This also means they have no automated final inspection to catch a defect like this. This is the most critical opening in the filter.
No! They were in good shape when they went on the car. I always look inside them before I put them on. That probably happened during a cold spell. I think what happens is it pushes the filter down too far when the oil is thick. I bet you the filter cartridge they are using is a little too short for their application in that can. Either way two in a row and I’m done.

I think what happens is it pushes the filter down too far when the oil is thick. I bet you the filter cartridge they are using is a little too short for their application in that can. Either way two in a row and I’m done.
The guts of the filter should be tight due to the spring in the dome end compressing the filter cartridge inside the can down on the ADBV, which is sandwiched between the cartridge and base plate. Looks like the ADBV is getting pinched/cut and coming apart. Could be the ADBV has an improper fit on how it sandwiches between the base plate and cartridge. You'd have to cut a new filter open and do a careful stack-up fit analysis.

Wix is junk now. Honestly I can't say I've ever seen an STP filter tear out of all the ones that have been cut and posted on here. One new Fram Ultra recently did tear at the bottom of the pleat. But the endurance hasn't and honestly won't given the wire backing.

Back