your most satisfying tire purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2. The 1st is my Blizzack tires for Winter driving. Just had another fatality on the news where a driver slid into oncoming traffic.

The 2nd is a set of Michelin LTX truck tires for the 2500 HD crew cab. I'm fairly picky about tires too.

Have been needing a new set for my Eclipse Spyder. Factory tires were Bridgestone Potenzas, which handled well and lasted a fair amount of time/mileage (5+ yrs/46k miles). Tread was still OK, but sidewall was starting to dry rot and there was some chunking. Told local tire guy I wanted something comparable to the Potenza and had to be good for all-season, but a bit cheaper. He recommended the Cooper CS4 V rated Touring, which is what I went with. Don't know how this compares to other tires in its class $-wise, but a set of 225/50R17 V rated cost me $635 total. I may have been able to find them a bit cheaper at a discount type place out of town, but I believe in supporting honest small businesses struggling to earn a living, even if it costs me a bit more. The Coopers seem to be an excellent buy so far, having superb wet and dry handling.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Camaro. They made driving in winter conditions a pleasure instead of an exercise in holding my breath. Drove on them for 6 winters and they still had great traction.

Same here with my pickup truck. I never have to sweat it out so long as I am on city streets. I'm never going back to all season tires as a substitute for proper snow tires.

P.S. Toronto has the right idea. studded snow tires are completely unnecessary and destructive of the roads.

Kumho KR- 21 just replaced some dunlop signatures (AA), and what really first impressed me was the small amount of weight needed on these tires, no outside weight at all and very small on the inide only. I used to install tires so I watched to see all was well. I ran these tires for about 60 miles slowly to break in, but on the freeway the balance and feel of these remarkable tires for the money was unbelievable, no shake or sway at 75-80 just to be sure, Not even a shimmy at all 16 yr old subaru AWD, bought new.
Will definitely buy them for my 06 Nissan,will go to higher spec 16 inch slightly higher in price-free ship. 1 year road hazard (or 2/32,s)Lifetime warranty on workmanship and free ship from www.tirebuyer.com best tire buying experience ever, been buying since 1970.

my grandma has those kr-21's on her 2002 taurus.

Seems to be working out for her so far over about 4 years.

I've driven it a few times seem decent standard type tires.

Have used the Dunlops, but at same price, I am using the Kumho eco solus KR22- AA on the Nissan- and best price is www.tirebuyer.com free shipping and lower price than TR. Great tires, great service, free shipp free road hazard etc.

Anyone else had an experience with these new tires from kumho or tirebuyer.com?

Last edited:
kumho has some higher end tires that will keep right up with any of the big boys and the money you save can go into the gas tank or buy you some ammo cartridges.

Originally Posted By: macg2
Kumho KR- 21 just replaced some dunlop signatures (AA), and what really first impressed me was the small amount of weight needed on these tires, no outside weight at all and very small on the inide only. I used to install tires so I watched to see all was well. I ran these tires for about 60 miles slowly to break in, but on the freeway the balance and feel of these remarkable tires for the money was unbelievable, no shake or sway at 75-80 just to be sure, Not even a shimmy at all 16 yr old subaru AWD, bought new.
Will definitely buy them for my 06 Nissan,will go to higher spec 16 inch slightly higher in price-free ship. 1 year road hazard (or 2/32,s)Lifetime warranty on workmanship and free ship from www.tirebuyer.com best tire buying experience ever, been buying since 1970.

Although I still recomend these Kumho Solus KR-21's, they've fallen down my list as newer tires have certainly eclipsed them. I'd still recomend them based on their low price and initial quality and they do seem to balance very well according to the installers(using less weights) and owners comments/compliments.

And those to whom I have recomended the KR-21's did love'em at first but, not in the long run as the KR-21's don't seem to last anywhere close to their 80K mile warranty(30K-40K). Some folks have better longivity and no issues at all
smile.gif

I would certainly buy the KR-21's before buying a private label tire but, you certainly want to shop around because you can overpay for them if your not carefull.

What we(friends/family) like about the KR-21

Pros:
+They balance well the first time out.
+They track well on the Hiwy.
+Hydroplaning resistance is very good.
+Ride/handling are very decent
+Smooth/Quiet
+Good foul weather performance.

Cons:
-Don't last long enough toward their tread warranty rating
-Good Luck trying to get them ProRated!(especially if you buy online)
-Can become very skiddish, vibrate toward the end of their short life(for those who experienced a short-er treadlife).

All tires have their Pros/Cons and the KR-21's are still a good choice in new tires.
smile.gif

Last edited:
This woman finds most tires to be satisfying:

The 19-year-old has been addicted to chewing on small shreds of tires for six years, and has consumed some 50 whole tires in that time.

“The rubber tire pieces taste really chemically, like a shock to your taste buds. It’s amazing,” she says. “The texture of the rubber pieces is like beef jerky. It’s a workout for your jaw.”

According to a sneak peek of the show, she eats more than two feet of tire shavings a day for a total of up to 14 pounds per month. Allison’s fiancé Sammy – who actually works in a tire plant – says, “eating tires is weird.”

“Pretty much every time he comes home he has some in his pants,” Allison says in the preview.

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/110843/woman_addicted_to_eating_tires.aspx

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
This woman finds most tires to be satisfying:

The 19-year-old has been addicted to chewing on small shreds of tires for six years, and has consumed some 50 whole tires in that time.

“The rubber tire pieces taste really chemically, like a shock to your taste buds. It’s amazing,” she says. “The texture of the rubber pieces is like beef jerky. It’s a workout for your jaw.”

According to a sneak peek of the show, she eats more than two feet of tire shavings a day for a total of up to 14 pounds per month. Allison’s fiancé Sammy – who actually works in a tire plant – says, “eating tires is weird.”

“Pretty much every time he comes home he has some in his pants,” Allison says in the preview.

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/110843/woman_addicted_to_eating_tires.aspx

I'm calling *B*S* on this. The math doesn't work. Her boyfriend brings home small bits of rubber on his pockets, but she EATS 2 feet of "Shavings" a day?

Goodyear GS-D3 in 285/40/17 on camaro all 4. great in dry and best in wet i've tried but only lasted 18000 cuz i corded teh inside of one w/ -1.8 camber in front and 1/16 toe out. but that took 4 years on this car

I put 90,000 miles on a set of Republic Enterprise tires. They could have gone longer if my suspension would have been up to par, and not worn them unevenly.

They handled all weather conditions nicely, and were not very loud.

Back in 1996? I bought some Goodyear Eagle Aquatreads and loved them for 60k miles.

More recently I bought some 235/65VR17XL Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sports for my Buick Wagon. Summer only but they don't seem to have a down side. I'm not sure they bought down my gas mileage much at all compared to the 245/60R17XL Michelin Energy LX4 tires I had on there before and they handle MUCH better. Much less flex, better wet traction, more stability hauling the travel trailer, and they still ride pretty nice. I can't complain at all.

The Cooper Discoverer H/T that I got on the escape have been fantastic. I got them to have something that might be adequate in snow as the Escape is our bad weather vehicle. It can handle 12" of snow with no problems on these Coopers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Absolutely my best experience is with the last set of Michelin LTX MS2's I bought for my 05 Silverado in 265/70/17 size.

They now have over 50,000 miles of abusive wifey driving and over 1/2 of their tread left!!!!

They are incredible in the rain, virtually unshakable.

I second that. We have the LTX M/S on both our Jeeps. Great all around tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back