Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 or Cooper Discoverer HTP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some inexpensive tires for my 2003 reg cab long bed 4WD Silverado. I want Michelin, and know how great of a value they are, but I have 25K miles in the 10 years I've owned this truck and will likely put less on it in the next 10.

I can buy new take off Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 for $300 for 4 plus about 20 for tax. I've read poor reviews and don't like the 300BB rating. It may be just buying junk. The other option is Cooper Discoverer HPT 600AB from Discount tire for $460 for 4. Don't have much experience with Cooper tires but they have a decent rating.

My Goodyear Wrangler ST only have 15K on them since I ran other tires that came on a set of alloy wheels for 10K. I'm mainly replacing the tires due to age, and they have poor traction. Basically they suck and have always sucked. The Grandtrek have to be much better than they are.

If you tell me I'm nuts for not buying the MIchelins I'd probably wait and buy them later, but I want some different tires now. I don't really need new tires, I just want them. The size is 245/75-16. Thanks

I dont have experience with the HTP, but I am running some Cooper discoverer ATRs on my 250 and they are are a good tire. Very smooth on the highway and I have been impressed with the winter traction as well.

I have Goodyear Wrangler HP on the front of my Pathfinder.

An excellent tyre, not sure how it compares to your ST tyre.

But I do know that the Cooper Discoverer tyre has many fans also.

Money no object I go Michelin.

Have a look around 4x4 forums to see what other 4x4 owners say about the Coopers, even better if there is a forum based around your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger

I can buy new take off Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 for $300 for 4 plus about 20 for tax. I've read poor reviews and don't like the 300BB rating.

They're "new take off" for a reason. We had Dunlop AT20 tires as OEM on our 4Runner. We hated them. It was a struggle to keep the vehicle in its lane. It kept wandering all over and needed constant steering corrections. Even driving a couple hundred miles was fatiguing because you're constantly correcting the steering. At first I thought they were over-inflated but they were spot on (34 psi). The wife thought they felt best (steering) at 26 but the TPMS kept going off. Horrible in the rain and snow so we dumped them with 12K on them after the first winter. I truly was concerned for my wife's safety with those tires and wrote a scathing letter to Toyota for putting such terrible tires on. I'm sure Discount Tire sold them to someone else.

We got BFG Long Trail Tours and they were okay until one tire went bad. Wife now has Michelin and absolutely loves them. But for your low mileage, it would be tough to justify Michelins.

After having a set of the Wrangler ST's myself (they came stock on my 2000 Sierra), the 300BB rated Dunlop is likely just as bad.

Why a tire with such a poor rating even makes it to production, is a mystery to me.

I now have a set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3's on the 2000 Sierra, (in a P245/75R-16 size) and I like what I've seen so far. Can't wait to get them out in some snow.

Having considered them for my truck as well, the Cooper offered by Discount Tire should do everything that you need them to do.

After stacking two rebates ($100 from Discount Tire, and $75 from Cooper), I ended up with a set of the A/T3's for $289 delivered. I couldn't pass that deal up.

Looking for some inexpensive tires for my 2003 reg cab long bed 4WD Silverado. I want Michelin, and know how great of a value they are, but I have 25K miles in the 10 years I've owned this truck and will likely put less on it in the next 10.

I can buy new take off Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 for $300 for 4 plus about 20 for tax. I've read poor reviews and don't like the 300BB rating. It may be just buying junk. The other option is Cooper Discoverer HPT 600AB from Discount tire for $460 for 4. Don't have much experience with Cooper tires but they have a decent rating.

My Goodyear Wrangler ST only have 15K on them since I ran other tires that came on a set of alloy wheels for 10K. I'm mainly replacing the tires due to age, and they have poor traction. Basically they suck and have always sucked. The Grandtrek have to be much better than they are.

If you tell me I'm nuts for not buying the MIchelins I'd probably wait and buy them later, but I want some different tires now. I don't really need new tires, I just want them. The size is 245/75-16. Thanks

I don't think you are nuts for not wanting to spend BIG $$$ on Michelin tires and instead looking for a good tire at a reasonable cost. Michelins are generally VERY GOOD tires don't get me wrong. If cost was absolutelly no factor to me I would probably buy Michelins myself. However, it is a factor for me and they are just too expensive IMO. I have always been able to find similar performance and durability from other brands for sometimes as much as $75-$100 p/tire less. Just doesn't make sense, for me, to buy them at the ridiculous price levels they run at. Maybe with a $100 rebate on a set or a buy 3 get the 4th free deal. Regular prices though = no.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy those Grandtrek AT20 tires. They are one of the worst tires I have ever had the sorry misfortune to have come OE issue on a new vehicle( Toyota Tacoma ). They are AWFUL in any kind of slippery condition( rain, snow, ice )and they are one of the hardest tires out there to balance properly. They also wear out FAST! They will make those Wrangler ST's seem like the best tires you ever owned! They are THAT bad. The only worse tire than the AT20 I have ever suffered with was the Goodyear Wrangler HP( another tire to avoid like the plague! ).

I don't have any experience with the Cooper Discoverer HTP. In general Cooper makes some decent tires though. Good brand and as a rule their tires do well for most people. Might be worth a shot. If I was after some AS Cooper's for your vehicle I would look at the Discoverer H/T model just because I have some experience with them. Certainly if the ONLY options are the Cooper's or those AT20's no question go with the Cooper's!!!!

While the tires I will list below will jump the price up almost to, or just over, the $500 range in the size you need( if you shop and use price match/beat programs and such ), IMO, it is well worth the extra $$$. $500+/-( + tax & M&B )for the tires listed below is well worth the extra money. $300 for a set of AT20's is $299.99 too much and that is being generous.

These tires are available in your size. All 4 are good in bad weather, give a comfy ride, and wear well. If they available at Discount Tire I will show prices vs the HTP's off their web site. If not available at DT I will give another online source and price just to give an approx idea of costs...

Firestone Destination LE2( $116.00 each @ Tirerack.com + approx $75 ship to Missouri )
General Grabber HTS( $144 each = $116 a set more than HTP's )
Cooper Discoverer H/T( $145 each = $120 for a set more than HTP's )
Mastercraft Courser HTR( $106 each @ Vulcantire.com + approx $95 shiping to Missouri )

Good luck and hhope this helps you out.

Last edited:
I got some cooper's on my escape. I think they are discoverers. Great tire so far. Lots of tread and seem to like snow.

Thanks for the input on the Grandtreks. Sounds like they are be avoided like the plague. The Coopers are biased toward highway and SUV, which is good for me. I rarely carry much of a load or need anything other than a dry road tire.

Was checking Michelin prices at Sam's and decided I would get the LTX M/S if I could find a rebate. Checked Costco and their club only tire equivalent to the LTX was less and a rebate was available. Got 4 X radial LT2 for $175/tire including mounting and tax.

Michelin rep was in the store and verified they were the same tire as LTX M/S except for slight different tread, mainly the angle of the tread blocks and siping.

They ride a little better than the ST, a bit firmer, doesn't seem to wallow around turns as much. I didn't really test traction, but the ST had poor traction.

I was debating between an SUV type tire such as the Latitude Tour and the LTX. I rarely drive in wet or snow and don't off road, so I thought the quietness and comfort would suit me. I decided I would regret this if I got in the mud or had to drive in deep snow. Even though we get a decent snow here every now and then, I'm able to get around fine in cars and don't need the 4WD, so I leave the PU at home.

I also would have had to ordered the Latitude and waited 3-5 days and the X radial LT2 was available today.

Just FYI and to add to any future searchers results...
GrandTreks suck. Came stock on my 4Runner and got 23,000 miles out of them.
Have Bridgestone Dueler Revos on there now. 65k on 'em

On my Land Rover, I had the old style Michelin 4x4 XPC that lasted 90,000
Have Goodyear Fortera TripleTred on that now.

You get what you pay for in tires, I believe

"Never skimp on tires or brakes. It can cost you/family member/total stranger dearly"

Had the grandtreks on my old 2007 4runner and I would avoid them. I don't remember a lot about them since I only had the vehicle for 8 months or so. What really sticks out in my mind is how bad they were in the snow though, I've never felt so unsafe while driving before.

Based on another thread about Cooper Tires being made in China, I called Discount Tire and asked country of origin of the tires I was considering. The rep said no way to tell unless you look at the actual tire. I'm going to be cautious and assume that means made in China with a slim chance of being made elsewhere. I would have been disappointed if I'd have ordered them without asking and gotten China made tires.

The Michelin X radial LT2 I had installed yesterday are made in USA. I'm so glad I decided to check prices on Michelin at Sams and found them with a rebate at Costco.

Cooper tires got my interest due to low price and good ratings. i think I'll stick with knowns instead of unknowns.

Based on another thread about Cooper Tires being made in China, I called Discount Tire and asked country of origin of the tires I was considering. The rep said no way to tell unless you look at the actual tire. I'm going to be cautious and assume that means made in China with a slim chance of being made elsewhere. I would have been disappointed if I'd have ordered them without asking and gotten China made tires.

The Michelin X radial LT2 I had installed yesterday are made in USA. I'm so glad I decided to check prices on Michelin at Sams and found them with a rebate at Costco.

Cooper tires got my interest due to low price and good ratings. i think I'll stick with knowns instead of unknowns.

I emailed Cooper about the origin of Discoverer HPT and got this response from Les:

"The 245/75R16 Discoverer HTP tires are manufactured in the USA at our Texarkana, AR plant."

If I was going by what the Discount Tire contact said, I likely would have declined to order if I were going to. They would have been about $520 mounted vs $700 for the Michelin. I'll never know if that would have been a good $180 saved or not, but I'm pleased with the Michelins.

I'm going to use more gas running on the Michelins than with the old Wrangler ST. I didn't realize how gingerly I drove on the poor traction ST tires. I also babied them around turns, so took it slow all the time. I can drive at a normal pace now. I suspect the tire contact patch of the ST must have been much smaller than on the Michelin X Radial LT2. Might be that the contact patch on the ST was more of an oval, and the Michelin more square. Would have been interesting to have jacked up the truck, inked the tread and lowered on a sheet of paper to check.

Would love to know what the difference in tire construction is that results in such a dramatic difference in traction. Many of the instances where I had to shift into 4WD wouldn't have been required with these better tires. I first became aware when I drove a friend's truck to pull his boat out. It was 2WD with LTX M/S2, and pulled up the ramp with no problem, where my truck would have required shifting into 4WD. The traction was bad enough on my truck that I have parked at the top of the ramp, set the parking brake and put in park, got out and the truck slid down a few inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back