Camry cold start issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
I've had an interesting cold start issue. If I leave the car overnight or for a day or so the car will not start on the first try. I'll turn the key, it will try to start, the lights on the dash will go completely, then the car will stumble a little.Turn the car off, then to start, the car fires right up and runs perfectly.Also i get slight flat spot when accelerating during the warming up.(While driving.)
1)New ECT sensor (For ECU)
2)New TPS.
3)Throttle body and IAC valve removed out of the car and cleaned.(Also replaced IAC valve o ring and throttle body metal gasket.)
4)Carried out on car fuel injector clean 4 times.
5)Reset ECU by disconnecting the battery negative for 30 min.
When the car reached to the normal operating temperature running perfectly.
Recharged the battery and load tested passed.(12.72v open circuit voltage and 10.68v with load.)
Also fitted new spark plugs and leads installed few weeks ago but no difference.Cant see or hear any vaccum leak.
cheers.
bob.

Last edited:
Sorry i forgot to tell.i have replaced the inline fuel filter and two washers plus fitted complete fuel pump/sender assembly.

Sounds good. Did you get an actual reading of what the pump is putting out? I had one go bad 2 weeks after installing it.

no i didn't.I don't have a proper adapter to install a fuel pressure gauge to a Camry.Unlike GM cars need many bits and pieces.
fuel pump gone bad mean not holding the pressure or low pressure?what i did, i applied the power to the fuel pump before turn the key on and built up the fuel pressure still the same.

Mine went from not holding pressure to it died. Just for the heck of it, next time you do a cold start from an overnight sit, key the ignition so the fuel pump pumps, but don't start the engine. Key it off, and on again, and fire it up once the pump noise stops. See what happens.

I tried it still no difference.May be defective ECU?i have checked all in puts to the ECU no voltage drop and all grounds are ok. (resistance less than 0.3ohms.)

which Camry? The 2.2L one does NOT turn on the fuel pump until the engine is spinning. So for this specific setup, giving the ignition and waiting does no good. I do it anyways :)

The fuel pump has built-in pressure regulator and if that is leaking internally, then it would explain longer cranks until the car starts.

Not sure about the engine management system fitted to the vehicle.if it is key word 2000 system then system voltage is very critical.but the system voltage is ok.

Replaced the fuel pump and still the same cant be the fuel pump.fuel filter can be installed only one way hence cant be that either.Possible leaky fuel injector.Then again it seems to be system holding the fuel pressure very well.

Main relay? Cold solder joints can be tricky to spot. The crank position sensor comes to mind too; have had CPS display odd and yet similar behavior on my bro's track-miata. Does the car have MAF? Don't most MAF have a heating element to it?

Can main relay cause hard to start? no MAF sensor.Crank sensor possible but only when cold? cycle the ignition car starts as normal.

This morning i disabled both ignition coils and cranked the engine engine cranked as normal and the vehicle battery voltage remained above 9.5v during cranking.(10 seconds.)Ambient temperature was 15c'.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll turn the key, it will try to start, the lights on the dash will go completely,

You mean the dash light go completely out?
Any CEL?
If the dash light go out that a pretty good indicator that your dealing with something electrical.
I'm thinking something that has better contact as it heats up, a main relay or ignition switch maybe.

Edit: Does this use a secondary battery + cable along with the thicker starter cable? Look in that area maybe something iss corroded or has poor contact..

Last edited:
Hi Mate.
No CEL flashing or staying on.During cranking as normal oil pressure and other warning indicators turning off.injection pulses and spark normal during cranking and engine is running.Swapped all under hood fuse box relays but no different.checked voltage drop from and to ignition switch. I cleaned the IAC valve again today.
I don't think this will fix the problem.
I think time for a new car............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back