2004 Corolla 110k miles with poor idle

New to me Corolla with rough idle is making me crazy trying to figure it out! It idles at a steady RPM, accelerates normally, and starts easily. So far I have cleaned the throttle body, air intake valve, mass air flow sensor, changed the plugs (they looked good), new PCV valve, new air filter (had an oiled K&N) and visually checked all the vacuum hoses. All of that only made it slightly better, Does anyone have any other ideas? Car is 2004 with 110k miles it's making nuts with the idle

Any codes? Normally an erratic idle will be related to air/vacuum leakage. How's the intake manifold gasket? Any misfire codes? There's a lot of sleuthing to do here but you'll find the problem.

The Corolla's from that era all seem to exhibit this issue to varying extents. Assuming you have no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks, fuel trims are normal (+/- 10) and the belt tensioner isn't ready to fly off (not uncommon on those), that is the best it'll get.

I had the same issue with my old Corolla. Have you changed the intake manifold gasket yet? I think they were a little defective and prone to dry out and shrink in that vintage. It's a pretty easy job on that engine.

New to me Corolla with rough idle is making me crazy trying to figure it out! It idles at a steady RPM, accelerates normally, and starts easily. So far I have cleaned the throttle body, air intake valve, mass air flow sensor, changed the plugs (they looked good), new PCV valve, new air filter (had an oiled K&N) and visually checked all the vacuum hoses. All of that only made it slightly better, Does anyone have any other ideas? Car is 2004 with 110k miles it's making nuts with the idle
If it had an oiled K&N you may want to replace the MAF and not just clean it.

Do these cars have an idle air control valve? My '04 Subaru did, and when the IACV started to die it caused these symptoms.

Hook up a scan tool capable of live data, especially fuel trims but of course check for trouble codes while you're at it.

Does it only idle rough with the A/C compressor on? What is the idle RPM?

New to you as-in, have you even put a fresh tank of gas in or might it have sat a while and have old fuel? Might also be worthwhile to put a double dose of fuel injector cleaner in it.

Had a 2005 and can confirm the idle is all over the place with these things. Sometimes it would be fine, other times it would idle low and rough enough to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. Didn't care enough to try and fix it.

Any codes? Normally an erratic idle will be related to air/vacuum leakage. How's the intake manifold gasket? Any misfire codes? There's a lot of sleuthing to do here but you'll find the problem.
No codes pending or stored. I sprayed some carb cleaner all over the place no idle changes so no leaks i guess

The Corolla's from that era all seem to exhibit this issue to varying extents. Assuming you have no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks, fuel trims are normal (+/- 10) and the belt tensioner isn't ready to fly off (not uncommon on those), that is the best it'll get.
short trim read -1.6 long was 2.6 might not have waited long enough for it warm up all the way.

Back