Wife's car needs 215/45/17s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

And for #3, why would I want a third-world item on a safety part as critical as a tire. $90 isnt the norm in a lot of these sizes.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Stay away from Falkein , I had a set of ZE-912 on the TL and was far from impressed. So much so that I got rid of them with 7/32nds of tread left ( interestingly that was with 10k of regular driving and the tires supposedly have a 65k treadlife warranty , LOL ).

Never owned a Kumho or Sumitomo before but friends who have , complain about dismal treadlife a lot. Your best bet would be to find a decent Goodyear, Bridgestone or Continental DWS in your size.

Kumho and Falken are not third world, they are name brand tires. They are certainly worlds appart better than the american "tiger-paw", "uniroyal", and "Sailun" that most people get when they buy bigger profile tires.

The Falken ZE912 was designed to be a cheap to buy tires that will still keep you safe, you are gonna give up treadlife but you can't have everything.
My rally tires were 235/45-17 and my first set was Kumho and second set Falken FK452, they were able to handle jumping, hard cornering on dirt, rocks, they never failed.. After they were almost done I gave them away to be used on my friend's Maxima for drag. Oh yeah these tires were also shoved into a curb at high speed in the Maxima, the wheel needed replacing.. but the tire never even lost air.

I do agree 17"s is a bit big for economy cars, but 15"s make a car feel like a Buick and cars are getting bigger brakes now. A perfect size IMO is 205/55-R16.

The construction of the tire and the standards it has to meet relatively equalize the impact failures. What I was refering to was the "feel" of the tires when you drive on them , the confidence they inspire in a corner, the breakaway point. The falkeins I had inspired NO confidence in rain , went vague after 70+ mph on the highway and loss of traction occured in an instant.

As far as treadlife goes , they are warrantied from factory at 65K, i lost 4/32nds in 10k of normal city/hwy mix driving. I dont quite understand what your point was? A tire that is warrantied to go X amount of miles is expected to last X amount of miles , maybe 10-20% less. 4/32nds in 10k means I would have been down to 3/32nds in 20k miles. How is that acceptable ?

Kumho and Falken are not third world, they are name brand tires. They are certainly worlds appart better than the american "tiger-paw", "uniroyal", and "Sailun" that most people get when they buy bigger profile tires.

Where are they MADE? China or Japan. Done. I had bought Falken Ziex Ze512 tires because they were one of the few quality options for the size on my BMW. Wore like iron. Made in Japan - it was OK. Now they are made in China. Will not buy. Got Michelin Pilot Exalto AS in one aspect ratio smaller, roughly the same $, made in USA, and better in noise and hydroplaning for certain.

Kumho's are made in Korea which is high quality.

Originally Posted By: rj
undiKumho's are made in Korea which is high quality.

Isn't it funny how there used to be "Japanese Junk", and "Korean Junk", and now it's "Chinese Junk"? Is "Indian Junk" far behind?

Last edited:

Where are they MADE? China or Japan. Done. I had bought Falken Ziex Ze512 tires because they were one of the few quality options for the size on my BMW. Wore like iron. Made in Japan - it was OK. Now they are made in China. Will not buy. Got Michelin Pilot Exalto AS in one aspect ratio smaller, roughly the same $, made in USA, and better in noise and hydroplaning for certain.

You mean like the Michelins on a truck at work, made in Thailand? The Toyos from Indonesia?

China does NOT mean bad tires...the most advanced tire factory in the WORLD is the Doublecoin truck tire factory in China.

I have a set of Falken 912s in 215/45-17 on the wife's WRX wagon and after 30k miles they are down to 4/32 which isn't bad considering the WRX eats tires.

Originally Posted By: uazj1
I have a set of Falken 912s in 215/45-17 on the wife's WRX wagon and after 30k miles they are down to 4/32 which isn't bad considering the WRX eats tires.

It may just be your WRX. My 04 got 60k out of the factory RE92's and 50k out of 45k rated RE960's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back