difference between Mobil Super syn & Mobil 1 syn ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil-1 is made up from 15 different base oils. It is the gold standard of synthetic oil. At least XOM thinks so.

Mobil Super Syn is made up from 132 different base oils because it is super.

Just kidding from Mobil "Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market."

So it seems XOM is trying to crack the "value syn" market with super.

Man cant figure out why they released that product unless its GOODWRENCH Dexos1 by another name.
-
-
oh, its not even dexos1?

Last edited:
use-the-search-button-you-dont-want-me-to-say-that-twice-thumb.jpg

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Originally Posted By: zerosoma

The search function is garbage.

Or, to put it another way...it doesn't function well enough to be of any value whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark

Or, to put it another way...it doesn't function well enough to be of any value whatsoever.

I agree and being former military and part of my job was to find information from hundreds of thousands of documents and reports with some terrible search engines. BITOG is by far the worst.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark

BITOG search

I think this subject came up a bit around this time last year, when they first introduced it, and Oreilly auto parts had it on sale, which I think they do again.

From what I remember, the Super Syn was a 100% Group III basestock, with the exact same additive package as the conventional mobil super-which is to say just fine, but nothing amazing. Here is a VOA of super 5000 conventional:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ExxonMobilSuper5000.htm

It seems that they use Boron and some Ti02 as anti-wear additive, and Sodium as a detergent/dispersant (Valvoline likes to do this). Zinc is in line for an API SN oil, which is to say not a lot.

"regular" Mobil 1 is a mix of Group II/IV basestocks, and a completely different additive package. I couldn't find a VOA on m1 5w-30 done in the last year, but here is one on their 5w-30 "EP" oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2263972&page=1

TL;DR-It's a different oil that regular mobil 1, but I don't think your engine is going to blow up within 50 miles of pouring it in.

The Google site search is pretty unfriendly if I want to read the entire posting. I am also being polite because I would be banned if I gave my personal opinion on the subject.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Go to google and search the BITOG site instead of using the built in function.

site:bobistheoilguy.com what I want to search for

This is what I meant by mr. Dos Equis.

Originally Posted By: Xstang

"regular" Mobil 1 is a mix of Group II/IV basestocks, and a completely different additive package. I couldn't find a VOA on m1 5w-30 done in the last year, but here is one on their 5w-30 "EP" oil:

Are you sure "regular" Mobil 1 isnt primarily a mix of GIII/IV?
First Ive heard of GII.

M1 is a really good oil.
MSS is a price leader.
If you want a price leader syn, QSUD is a better oil than MSS.
MSS has nothing in common with M1 other than the maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back