How do I know if my car has an ABS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know it's a stupid question...

I don't see an ABS unit under the hood. There are no abs lights that come on when I put the key in the on position. I just bought the car. It's a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Also, how would I know if it has traction control?

Go drive aggressively in dirt or on some gravel. You'll find out of if you have both in short order.

I would guess that if you slammed on the brakes real good and you screeched your tires you do not have ABS. Just did this the other day with my Focus (before the brake job!)

If you do have ABS you will feel the pedal pulsing and you will hear noises
smile.gif

The VIN number will tell the dealer if it has it.Usually,no ABS light,no ABS.

On my truck, the ABS module is next to the master cylinder. Follow the brake lines. No ABS module means no ABS. It's very possible a Chrysler vehicle from 2008 won't have ABS.

I went on edmunds and cars.com and both do NOT show ABS as being a standard feature on the 2008 base model. Don't know if it was available or standard on higher end models.

Last edited:
if i remember something like this, if you look inside your brake, it have a O with a gear teeth on it, right next to axle boot.

Mine is the Touring.
Originally Posted By: azjake
I went on edmunds and cars.com and both do NOT show ABS as being a standard feature on the 2008 base model. Don't know if it was available or standard on higher end models.

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I don't see an ABS unit under the hood. There are no abs lights that come on when I put the key in the on position. I just bought the car. It's a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Also, how would I know if it has traction control?

This thing evidently didn't come with an Owner's Manual...

Things like ABS and traction control are indicated by lamps ("idiot lights") within the instrument panel. These will illuminate for a short period of time when the ignition key is first turned to "run" (the last setting before "start"). If you do not see either light, then you probably don't have either feature.

Shine a flashlight on the instrument panel so that you can see any lettering or images that might be behind the visible fascia. If somebody has removed bulbs to hide faults and is claiming that the vehicle lacks the features you're hoping for, the flashlight trick will flush that out.

To confirm the presence/absence of ABS, turn the road wheels all the way to one side (doesn't matter which one, you're just doing this to make visibility). Now peek inside the wheel well in the region of the corrugated CV joint boot. You will see the obvious hydraulic hose. If you have ABS, you will also see a skinny black electrical wire. Check carefully! the wire may not follow the same path as the much thicker hydraulic line!

As for traction control, it uses the ABS. If you do not have ABS, you do not have traction control. If you DO have ABS, you might have traction control, and the flashlight trick will help with that.

^ Sometimes cars will have more complete idiot light appliques than they have options.

I agree on the "toothy wheel" look-see. Check out your tires and struts for wires going to/ clipped to them.

They made some cheap PT cruisers for rental fleets and helping their truck CAFE numbers. Lack of ABS is not a surprise.

It is called a reluctor ring. If the relcutor ring stops, or locks, the signal from the sensor it passes by activates the ABS releasing the caliper and letting wheel and the reluctor ring spin.
abs3.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ Sometimes cars will have more complete idiot light appliques than they have options.

I have cutouts for a 4WD system and air suspension that my truck definitely does not have.

If you have ABS though, the light should illuminate when you turn the key to the on position. Since that's not happening, I'm betting this car was optioned without ABS.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
It is called a reluctor ring.

Don't know nothin' about Chryslers past 1976, but many modern vehicles have enclosed reluctor rings (to help prevent corrosion). But they ALWAYS have exposed electrical wires. It's easier to look for skinny black wires than it is to look for toothy gears.

Mine is a GT but the ABS light is in the tachometer pod. It only comes on for about one second when you turn the key on. Traction control switch is at the bottom right of the center stack (although the 2008 has a different center stack)

You should be able to see the brake lines plumbed into a little box like thing, if you have ABS. That is the modulator (I think).

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot

This thing evidently didn't come with an Owner's Manual...

Things like ABS and traction control are indicated by lamps ("idiot lights") within the instrument panel. These will illuminate for a short period of time when the ignition key is first turned to "run" (the last setting before "start"). If you do not see either light, then you probably don't have either feature.

Shine a flashlight on the instrument panel so that you can see any lettering or images that might be behind the visible fascia. If somebody has removed bulbs to hide faults and is claiming that the vehicle lacks the features you're hoping for, the flashlight trick will flush that out.

To confirm the presence/absence of ABS, turn the road wheels all the way to one side (doesn't matter which one, you're just doing this to make visibility). Now peek inside the wheel well in the region of the corrugated CV joint boot. You will see the obvious hydraulic hose. If you have ABS, you will also see a skinny black electrical wire. Check carefully! the wire may not follow the same path as the much thicker hydraulic line!

As for traction control, it uses the ABS. If you do not have ABS, you do not have traction control. If you DO have ABS, you might have traction control, and the flashlight trick will help with that.

Good post, one thing though, in most cases the same gauge cluster is used for ABS and NON ABS (as well as other features) so just seeing the icon doesn't mean it should always light up. That's where your other suggestions are right on the money.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
just seeing the icon doesn't mean it should always light up.

I'm not too sure of that. It's been my experience that non-present features are not represented at all, except maybe as blank areas. My understanding is that this is done for legal reasons, and also so that owners and technicians will not mistake absent features for non-functional ones.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was mentioned but see if the car will lock the wheels up and skid lol
19.gif
57.gif
. Nevermind that was mentioned in the first two replies, figures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back