Evans Waterless Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know anything about this? Is it for real? The 370 deg. boiling point got my attention. Would ring life be the same, longer or shorter? I know Bob doesn't want links anymore. Hopefully I can say it is at evanscooling.com
confused.gif

Hirev,
The Evans Coolant is for real and an outstanding product. It uses absolutely no water, 0 pressure cooling systenm and does not require any additives.
One of the best uses I have seen for this product are on diesel engines.. Mainly on the Ford Power Stroke Diesel engine. The proper balance of SCA's (Supplemental Cooling Additives) have to be maintained in this engine or cavatation can and will cause pin hole leaks through the cylinder wall in time. A real pain to do, but necessary. No additives on this engine are required when using the Evans.
I have looked into this product and know personally of 10 people using it in their diesel. I do not know of any gas engine users. I do not use it at present, but it is on my wish list when my wife hits the lottery.

[ July 05, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Hirev
I've been using Evans NPG+ in my Duramax Diesel for 2 years now. I would have to say it works great for all temperatures. I have used it in -10*F to 100*F weather with no problems. I can work the engine and never see the temp gauge spike like friends with Dex-Cool. This stuff cools great and cools off quick. I know a few guys running it in their PowerStrokes and VW TDIs.

quote:

Originally posted by JakeGMCHD:
Hirev
I know a few guys running it in their PowerStrokes and VW TDIs.

Oh I didn't know you could use it in the TDI's. Something new to use!! Where can I find more info on this?? the tdiclub site??

Send me a pm with the info if you could.

Thanks,

Just a word to the wise: Non-aqueous glycols are exceptional coolants, but be aware that they are FLAMMABLE. Imagine that your heater core begins to leak...a spark, say from a cigarette, could result in a fireball.

quote:

Originally posted by coolcat:
Just a word to the wise: Non-aqueous glycols are exceptional coolants, but be aware that they are FLAMMABLE. Imagine that your heater core begins to leak...a spark, say from a cigarette, could result in a fireball.

I don't remember seeing the flash point of the Evans product and without a link I am not taking time to hunt it up. Yes glycols burn. However it is very hard to ignite liquids, and glycols have such low vapor pressures, it is unlikely enough vapor would collect to catch fire. I looked at my bottle of Prestone Low Tox that is mostly the same propylene glycol as in the Evans product. It had no flash point or warnings of inflammablability. Nothing with the Evans' boiling point is going to be easy to set on fire. May burn great once started.

My main interest in Evans is a a possible lower toxic replacement for Dex Cool.

If you dig through the Evans site, you will find a notation that the product can ignite at temps above 240F, but the words flash point are never used, nor will you find an MSDS. Evans also notes that coolant temperatures can rise to 260F under severe operating conditions, and can "safely" rise to 300F. Remember that you will tend to run hotter with non-aqueous PG, the offsetting benefit is that you won't boil over.

Typical flashpoint for PG based anti freeze is in the range of 210F-230F. For example, Amzoil Propylene Glycol flashes at 225F, Bioguard PG 224F, Fleetguard PG 210F, Sierra PG 211F.

Pure propylene glycol coolants will be above their flashpoint under ordinary cooling system conditions. Just think about what you're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back