Are power steering fluid changes no longer needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I constantly see this item on different maintenance forums as a "to-do" for high mileage maintenance. However, I did not see this listed anywhere in the manual of my 07 Civic EX (R18A1, 60k miles). I'm pretty OCD with my maintenance and I'm pretty on top of things and read the entire (yes, entire) manual for this car and didn't see a mention of when/if you need to change it.

Is it no longer needed for newer cars? It's a typical hydraulic system, so do I just need to do it ever 4-5 years? I don't even think it's part of the MM (Maintenance Minder) for the car. Any help is appreciated. I'd rather not have a PS pump to out, or whatever would be caused by not changing it...

I look at it this way. It is just like any other fluid. The fluid breaks down, becomes contaminated and has no filter. My recommendation is 50k or aprox 4 years.

John

I flushed the PS fluid in my 07 Civic @ around 125,000 miles and wish that I would have done it earlier. The steering got a lot smoother and easier to turn with fresh Honda fluid running through the system.

Seeing as the fluid is closing in on being 5 years old, I'd change it soon if it was me. You could squeeze 100k outta it but time wise, I think its pushing it and its better to be safe then sorry.

It's a rather pain in the rear to DIY cause of tight engine bay space but well worth it, IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
never hurts to swap the fluid.

This.

The reason manuals no longer mention it is (I believe) because many people dont keep cars long enough to care. Modern systems will continue to steer regardless of fluid change intervals. But it is not "best practice" to leave any OEM fluid for 50K+ miles.

That said, I use a syringe to remove all the fluid from the reservoir at every OC. Does it have to be done that often - likely not. But it only takes me 5 min. to remove/replace, and since the hood is already open it is time well spent IMO.

Last edited:
A lot of cars are also moving to EPS, which does not use any power steering fluid at all.

My car also has no drive belts, which is pretty darn neat, lol.

^ding ding, I find that method the best. Too bad my toyota dealer just sells some el cheapo ps fluid. Car actually calls for transmission dexron III fluid anyways, but firts time I tried the tranny oil, it took a bit too long to warm up and soften up the steering.

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
I constantly see this item on different maintenance forums as a "to-do" for high mileage maintenance. However, I did not see this listed anywhere in the manual of my 07 Civic EX (R18A1, 60k miles). I'm pretty OCD with my maintenance and I'm pretty on top of things and read the entire (yes, entire) manual for this car and didn't see a mention of when/if you need to change it.

Is it no longer needed for newer cars? It's a typical hydraulic system, so do I just need to do it ever 4-5 years? I don't even think it's part of the MM (Maintenance Minder) for the car. Any help is appreciated. I'd rather not have a PS pump to out, or whatever would be caused by not changing it...

Just checked the 07 Civic service manual. Yes, there is no interval specified. BUT, do it anyways. I would say start at 50K and then about each 25K after that. Doubters - check the FSM on how complex the system is and what it takes to repair. It is much more than just a pump that can fail. Then call your dealer for parts and labor prices. It is so easy and cheap to either do a turkey baster procedure often or a complete drain and fill less often, there is no reason not to. Be sure to only use Honda PS fluid - it matters on a Honda. BTW: I also have an 87 Accord with 186K and no PS problems.

Last edited:
I would just do a flush every 60k, the same time that I would do a drain and refill of the cooling system.

I have changed my 94 accords PS fluid roughly every 50k or 4 years with honda fluid, and at 240K still no leaks or morning sickness.

The guys at the parts counter always seemed puzzled when I ask for a few bottles...

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing

This.

The reason manuals no longer mention it is (I believe) because many people dont keep cars long enough to care. Modern systems will continue to steer regardless of fluid change intervals. But it is not "best practice" to leave any OEM fluid for 50K+ miles.

That said, I use a syringe to remove all the fluid from the reservoir at every OC. Does it have to be done that often - likely not. But it only takes me 5 min. to remove/replace, and since the hood is already open it is time well spent IMO.

Right on.

Change it, you'll notice the improved feel in the steering.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Looks like I'll be doing the swap next month along with coolant. I'll go ahead and do a "flush" by draining the PS hose as well. I'll pick up a big bulb syringe like I used for my brake fluid a couple years ago.
smile.gif

I wish this car had EPS like the Si model, but oh well. Kept costs down I guess...

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing

This.

Right on.

Change it, you'll notice the improved feel in the steering.

I thought if they took the time to mention a valve clearance inspection every 160k miles, they should be able to mention something that appears to be needed less than every 5 years. Oh well, I guess the service dept. needs something to fall back on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: user52165
I would say start at 50K and then about each 25K after that.

I recommend the reverse... first change at 25K than every 50K thereafter. The first flush is most important to get rid of break-in debris.

I haven't seen ps fluid changes recommended in any owner's manual I've read. Does any manufacturer actually recommend ps fluid changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back