Are power steering fluid changes no longer needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I haven't seen ps fluid changes recommended in any owner's manual I've read. Does any manufacturer actually recommend ps fluid changes?

That's because on modern systems since the late 80s they don't need fluid changed it is not a contaminate rich environment that the pump operates in so as long as the seals are in good shape and the fluid has not been contaminated from the outside it probably can easily go for 100k or more. Many systems use totally synthetic fluid which can last for 200k with no problem again as long as the seals are not leaking allowing contamination into the system.

Power steering is one system where if it is not broken don't "fix" it.

Then why do some fluids turn black?

I'd rather not take the "wait and see" attitude with my ps systems. Considering how commercially clean the components are when put together at the assembly line, and knowing what I know about break-in debris, I'd rather flush out the system some time after it's been broken in to give it a chance for a long, uneventful life. Half the cars I've owned pre-BITOG had ps system problems some time during their life.

Screen filters are just rock stoppers. Paper filters are better, but there are still fine contaminants and wear debris in suspension that can stand a good flush.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Then why do some fluids turn black?

Because there is a TINY amount of residue from when the car is new likely from the seals. But the color does NOT necessarily indicate that there is ANY problem with the fluid or system whatsoever. When the system is designed and tested that issue is factored into the operation of the system.

Now if it is a mineral oil product being used I would probably change it at 100k miles. Synthetic fluid?...if the system is working properly and the level is correct and no outside contaminates due to the fill cap being left open or seals weeping I see no reason not to let that fluid go for nearly 200k miles. Again a tiny amount of residue from new will cause NO issues unless there is an inherent defect in the system itself.

Many cars get away with leaving the fluid alone, but do perform better if the fluid is flushed out with premium stuff once in a while.

That in mind, I always wonder how far fluid changes can extend the life of the PS pump and PS rack.

During the 1980s, you would be changing PSF often simply because nobody knew how to build a PS rack properly.

I suck the fluid out of the reservoir once a year with a turkey baster when doing something else under the hood. Its easy, cheap, and keeps the fluid in the system fresh. No need to go nuts flushing and possible breaking something while taking it apart.

Like anything if you stay on top of it, it never gets bad.

Last edited:
After neglecting it on my vehicles with Hydro-boost brakes then feeling the major improvement after a flush I will always do reservoir change at every oci from now on

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Change it, you'll notice the improved feel in the steering.

I changed the PS fluid out 2 times in 120K miles on my 05 CVLX and noticed zero difference in improved sterring feel..A friend changed his PS fluid recently in his 2002 Accord..It was his first change in 200K miles..He also saw zero difference in improved feel in the steering.

I have put over 200K miles on all my cars in the past and never changed the PS fluid out in any of them..All had zero issues with the PS sterring.

I change PSF at the same time I flush the coolant, which is about 2-3 years, 1 quart PSF at about $4-5 every 2-3 year is not too expensive for not doing it.

In both of our older minivans, you had to change the fluid once every few years, or the system would start whining. Fresh ATF+4 always did the trick.

Since then, but unrelated to that, I've become OCD on having clean fluid. I've exchanged the fluid in the reservoir a number of times on our Acura, and I have perceived better operation there (less effort to turn the wheel). I've also done it a few times on our Honda, and have not perceived a difference in it. Still, new fluid is cheap and that's my hobby, so I do a reservoir exchange every 15k miles.

To me, brake fluid is similar. No vehicle that I've owned up until now has recommended a brake fluid exchange. Both of our Honda products recommend that every three years. I've done the Acura, and will likely do the Honda at some point this year. There was a nice improvement in brake pedal feel/travel with new fluid in the Acura.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Change it, you'll notice the improved feel in the steering.

I changed the PS fluid out 2 times in 120K miles on my 05 CVLX and noticed zero difference in improved sterring feel..A friend changed his PS fluid recently in his 2002 Accord..It was his first change in 200K miles..He also saw zero difference in improved feel in the steering.

I have put over 200K miles on all my cars in the past and never changed the PS fluid out in any of them..All had zero issues with the PS sterring.

I noticed improved response when I went from original PSF to Amsoil ATF. I'm sure any full Syn ATF would respond similar.

I did the turkey baster method on my 2 cars just saturday and kept the fluids, I'll post em up when I find a mason jar. It was BLACK and smelled like $%^& (not the fresh smelling %%^&, but rotten). Only did the resevoir on each car and I could tell a difference on the Suby, but not the Mazda. Used OEM fluids BTW, no sense mixing if only for a "partial drain/fill".

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back