I decided what to put in my Saturn that burns etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a 1.9L S Series, over 130k mi. Both of my Saturns use some oil. Not huge amounts, but more than 1 qt per 1000 mi. The one had a timing chain type noise as well as lifters clacking bad at startup, and improving after warmup.

I managed to fix the lifter clacking by running Seafoam in the oil and then when it got dirty, flushing with Gold Eagle engine flush (no kerosene), and refilling with 5W30 and a fresh filter, and another round of Seafoam. After 2500 mi and 2 oil changes the clacking is gone normally and I only get a little bit of it after a completely cold startup. Its also supposed to clean rings which are a known problem on Saturn's. After my test of cleaning ability showed MMO to do better than the Seafoam at cleaning baked on varnish and crud, and the fact that its 1/2 the price of Seafoam, I decided to go with 1/2 qt of MMO at each OCI to continue to clean the crud out and keep it clean.

What seemed to fix the chain noise was some Rislone Engine Treatment. Its also supposed to clean lifters and rings. As with the MMO, I will add 1/2 qt at each OCI.

What reduced the oil consumption was 1/2 bottle of Casite Motor Honey. Its basically a cheap thickener from the looks of it, but unlike most other cheap thickeners it supposedly reduces friction. If it was still avail I'd be using VSOT, and if money was no object, it would be Shaeffers #132, but these are old Saturns, not worth putting big money into, just want to keep them running reasonably at a low cost.

Whatever works. I have used many things. Using Rotella 10w-30 this summer and a new PCV has given me the least consumption for years. Looks like I am using less than a quart per 1000 which is cutting my worst consumption in half. I used to add Schaeffer's #132. Right now using PYB 10w-30 with nothing extra added.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Whatever works. I have used many things. Using Rotella 10w-30 this summer and a new PCV has given me the least consumption for years. Looks like I am using less than a quart per 1000 which is cutting my worst consumption in half. I used to add Schaeffer's #132. Right now using PYB 10w-30 with nothing extra added.

I tried 10W40 in the one, but it still was using a lot, so that's why I am trying the thickener with the thinner stock weight oil. I'm only using 1/2 a bottle at a time, and its only $3 a bottle, so its no big deal

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Just my 2 cents worth, I would think twice about using any thing that thick in the winter.

The MMO is thin, the Rislone Engine Treatment is normal, and the thickner is thick. It doesn't feel thick on the dipstick, and if it gets too thick when it gets cold, I'm sure I'll notice it quickly.

Last edited:
I tend to go thicker in summer. Winter I will use MMO up to a quart to top off. Even used some Dex III last winter for cleaning. A quart or so before I changed the oil.

I was in the habit of adding a bottle of #132 every oil change. That was back when I used a 3/4 quart per 3,000. One summer I used the Rotella 10w-30 and #132. Boy, my lifters became noisy at start up. That combination was too thick.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
10w30 Mobil1 hm is working great in my oil addicted Saturn

To each his own. Winter is coming, so 10W30 might be thick if your car is outside and you are up north. Your starter and lifters will let you know.

I won't spend the extra for expensive oil on a car that burns this much, but if I have one that doesn't use any, I run Mobil 1. I've got Mobil Super 5W30 in them at the moment, because that was the best reasonable oil on sale. Net of the rebate, I paid 7.99 for 5 qts + an STP filter, and am spending another $7 for the MMO, Rislone Engine Treatment and Motor Honey combined, so that puts me about $15 including filter for over 6 qts, which keeps it going for at least the 1st 2000 mi or so.

I use the Mobil1 HM in my Saturn as well with good results.
Even with 10w30 it started fine in sub zero weather.
Mine had some valve lifter/timing chain clatter, I ran some MMO for the last thousand miles of my oil change and it quieted right down and has remained quiet since.
The Mobil1 HM does a great job keeping it clean!

Originally Posted By: cronk
I use the Mobil1 HM in my Saturn as well with good results.
Even with 10w30 it started fine in sub zero weather.
Mine had some valve lifter/timing chain clatter, I ran some MMO for the last thousand miles of my oil change and it quieted right down and has remained quiet since.
The Mobil1 HM does a great job keeping it clean!

Next OCI I will try just adding the MMO and Motor honey, and if I don't get timing chain noise, I'll discontinue using the Rislone Engine Treatment. I trust Mobil oils in general, but won't pay a lot extra for the HM stuff. Its just not worth doubling or tripling or quintupling (for the synthetic) the cost to me. I want my oil thin enough at startup to lubricate things, but warmed up I want it to stay thick enough that the engine doesn't burn it too much. In other words, I'd buy 5W40 if I could, but its not available in the less expensive oils.

Last edited:
That's a lot of other stuff besides just oil.
Typically I use one thing at a time.

I've use MMO, Liqui Moly MOS, Liqui Moly Motor Saver, Schaeffers #132, Auto RX, and I think I put STP a long time ago in my engine before I knew better.

But the only thing I have used at the same time was the Liqui Moly products. I have a leak from my Timing chain cover onto a cat. I lose about 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles, and the Motor Saver or #132 really slow down the leak.

Right now I switched to 15w40 Supertech to top off with and that seems to keep it happy too.

If I were you I would go find a brand name of 10w40, or maybe even a High Mileage 10w40 (Valvoline has a Pour Point of -40 degrees I think) and see how that does. I think you would see better results than your cocktail you are currently using.

I know that my engine seems to be doing better with the 15w40 I am topping up with.

BTW, my Daily driver is a 3.0 V6 Vulcan in a 2002 Ford Taurus.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
That's a lot of other stuff besides just oil.
Typically I use one thing at a time.

I've use MMO, Liqui Moly MOS, Liqui Moly Motor Saver, Schaeffers #132, Auto RX, and I think I put STP a long time ago in my engine before I knew better.

But the only thing I have used at the same time was the Liqui Moly products. I have a leak from my Timing chain cover onto a cat. I lose about 1 quart every 1500-2000 miles, and the Motor Saver or #132 really slow down the leak.

Right now I switched to 15w40 Supertech to top off with and that seems to keep it happy too.

If I were you I would go find a brand name of 10w40, or maybe even a High Mileage 10w40 (Valvoline has a Pour Point of -40 degrees I think) and see how that does. I think you would see better results than your cocktail you are currently using.

I know that my engine seems to be doing better with the 15w40 I am topping up with.

BTW, my Daily driver is a 3.0 V6 Vulcan in a 2002 Ford Taurus.

I guess we'll see. I think its a reasonable plan and minimal cost. $15 or $12 total for fluids and filter per OCI to have it running happily seems ok to me.

Quote:
I decided what to put in my Saturn that burns oil, etc

dynamite.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:

dynamite.jpg

For every month it runs without needing repairs its like putting $100 or $200 in my pocket as compared to buying something better to replace it. Over a year, that's $1000 or $2000, and its a miser on fuel, almost as good as the best non-hybrids available.

Originally Posted By: 99SC2
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:

dynamite.jpg

For every month it runs without needing repairs its like putting $100 or $200 in my pocket as compared to buying something better to replace it. Over a year, that's $1000 or $2000, and its a miser on fuel, almost as good as the best non-hybrids available.

+1
If you keep the oil topped off, it will run many more miles. Those cars are tough to kill with reasonable care.

Well, I sold the car. It just wasn't a "happy" motor. I like motors that purr. I got 3 or 4 months use out of it and sold it for $500 less than I paid, so it wasn't the end of the world.

LOL, I bought another Saturn (SC1 this time) to replace it. The simpler SOHC motor is much easier and cheaper to work on, and it gets much better gas mileage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99SC2
Well, I sold the car. It just wasn't a "happy" motor. I like motors that purr. I got 3 or 4 months use out of it and sold it for $500 less than I paid, so it wasn't the end of the world.

LOL, I bought another Saturn (SC1 this time) to replace it. The simpler SOHC motor is much easier and cheaper to work on, and it gets much better gas mileage.

Ok, at least you got another Saturn...
smile.gif

I have the SOHC also.

- What year is your new one?
- Make sure it has Copper NGK Spark Plugs!
- Did it have the Intake Manifold Gasket replaced yet?
- Does it have a Copper ECTS?
- How's the Coolant?
- If the Temp gauge isn't at least 2-3 needle widths above the 1/4 mark, you need a new Thermostat and/or ECTS!

Any update on the SC-1?

How's the things listed a couple posts up?

Its my 5th or 6th Saturn 1.9L, so I'm familiar with all the weak spots.

The 2000 SC1 is doing much better than the 96 SC1. It does use some oil, but not too much. It has an OLM on it. It did have one bit of lifter tick, but that's gone now. I did a flush and changed to 5W30 Synthetic with 1 qt Rislone Engine Treatment (because it worked so well in the 96). Was getting about 34-35 mpg and now working on improving that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back