Is this real bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a quart low (Penz Ultra 5-30 synthetic) and all I had on hand was a quart of Wall Mart Super tek 5-30 synthetic so in it went.... was this ok to do? or a big no no? The Ultra has about 4,000 miles on it and I was planning on changing it out around 7K

Oh noez get that Supertex out now or your enginez might implode

Seriously I would be more concerned with the loss of a quart in 4K than a little mixing halfway.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Your fine dude relax.... Why were you quart low?
"06" Toyota 4Runner with 115,000 miles and used for towing my 5,000lb camper every summer and this is the first time it has used any oil? Don't know but im not to worried.

Originally Posted By: someguy
Oh noez get that Supertex out now or your enginez might implode

Seriously I would be more concerned with the loss of a quart in 4K than a little mixing halfway.

+1 we need to find out where the oil is going and work on that

1 qt over 4k miles isn't too bad. The 3L in my Mazda6 drinks a quart every 3-4k. Kinda annoying, but if it ain't leaking out, what can you do?

They're both Grp IIIs, although the Ultra probably has a better, and certainly different, additive package.
I wouldn't fret.
Another 3K on this ad hoc mix won't hurt anything.
There those here who blend intentionally and there are those who dump random mixes of whatever is left over in their beater cars for an oil change. I know of no documented evidence that mixing oils by brand or grade or both causes any problems at all.
Nobody has ever reported observed problems here from mixing oils across brands, grades, groups, or all of the above.

I'll echo the others and say Don't worry about it.
Heck, for all you know, the oil in that SuperTech bottle MAY be a Pennzoil product...

Super Tech is actually turning up some excellent uoa`s. Imo,no worries whatsoever. Run this current oci like you do all your others.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
I'll echo the others and say Don't worry about it.
Heck, for all you know, the oil in that SuperTech bottle MAY be a Pennzoil product...

lets not go there...

lol I did the same thing with my Civic a while ago. It uses about a quart total over the course of the 7.5k changes and Ill top it off with SuperTech everytime. It was at 6.5k when I topped off the quart with ST dino. I know ST is good and will last 1k with PU helping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back