Best guns for barter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to make this a political discussion. Say there is a major depression and "stuff" really hits the fan. What would be the best gun(s) and ammo to store for resale and barter?
22's?

5.56 and 12 gauge slugs and 9mm's most likely... seems like an odd question though, lol..

*IF* it gets that bad IMO anything .22lr would have great value.

Ruger 10/22/Marlin model 60/Marlin 981T type weapons would be gold.

And of course bricks of ammo would be worth more.

Bill

Interest topic. I've thought on this some and discussed it with others. My conclusions are that it comes down to whether you think you'll have more of a need for hunting game of different types for food, or whether you think you'll be fighting others off, defending yourself, or going on the offensive.

Also, if you live out in the country and think all you're going to need is a deer rifle, how long will it be until starving folks from the cities are in your neck of the woods?

My guess is that a blended approach of the most common calibers is probably best.
.38 spc, 9mm, .40, .45, .223/5.56, .308/7.62x51, 12g buck/ slugs, and 7.62x39 for defense/offense.

.22lr, .44mag, 30-30, 30-06, 12g everything, and maybe .270 and 7mm for hunting.

Even more fun is also having the tools on hand to use all of that ammo, in case you need it.

I doubt a lot of folks will be looking to trade some .356TSW or .257 Roberts ammo for a bag of rock salt.

Last edited:
I'd recommend .22, and lots of it...for forrage and currency.

Push comes to shove, you can shoot it out of a bit of stainless pipe whaped with a block of wood, which might facilitate you getting something else in 5.56.

Depends on the scenario I guess. The ammo makers will never go out of business (demand for ammo continues through depressions). If you sell/trade guns for barter I see semi auto .22 rifles, 12 ga shotguns and small handguns (.38 and 9mm) being the ones people will seek if they are unarmed.

I'll go a different direction and say anything that qualifies as Curio & Relic. For a $30 license from BATF you can buy and sell them face to face legally with very minimal paperwork.
C&R guns include anything 50+ years old and many military surplus pistols and rifles.

.22 would probably be good. IMO .22 short would be most valuable. You want quiet and easily silenced in a survival situation. You're also taking either close range or carefully calculated shots, so power is secondary. At least, that's my thinking.

Yes, I agree with the .22 LR and .22 Short. People aren't going to stay in the cities in a survivalist scenario. They need cheap, plentiful ammo for hunting. Deer will quickly disappear, but not rabbits and other small game.

My concern would be that those who are seeking big calibers might have offensive rather than defensive motives in mind. Most people's ethics would disappear in periods of total anarchy. Without any moral qualms, why barter for what they need when they can kill others and take it? Let's pray we never find ourselves in that situation.

In that type of scenario I would agree with .22LR being a sought after cartridge for barter purposes. There might be more .22LR firearms out there than all other cartridges combined. There would definitely be a strong demand for .22LR ammo.

IMO it would be as follows:
1. 22lr
2. 9mm(9x19)
3. 45acp
4. 12 gauge 00 buck
5. .357 mag
6. 38 special(Could be higher because of ability to fire in 357's)
7. 44 mag
8. 223/5.62mm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3311
IMO it would be as follows:
1. 22lr
2. 9mm(9x19)
3. 45acp
4. 12 gauge 00 buck
5. .357 mag
6. 38 special(Could be higher because of ability to fire in 357's)
7. 44 mag
8. 223/5.62mm

After just watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTyCcip-ks&feature=player_embedded

Any 12 gauge with 1oz slugs may become #1 to me.
smile.gif

Probably anything for which ammo was/is readily available. .22 long rifle would be a good choice as would 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO, 9mm Luger, .38 special/.357 magnum and possibly 40 S&W and .45 ACP. Also included would be 12 Gauge and 20 gauge shotshells possibly 30-30 for all the lever action deer guns out there.

I am basing this on what is likely to be currently available on chain stores with sporting goods counters. If it really gets so bad, ammo will be hard to come by, but there is a better chance somebody will have some of the above named rounds. On the other hand if you are shooting a .300 Rem Ultra Mag, you are SOL unless you happen to be a reloader.

.22, 7.62x39, 5.56x45, .308, 30-06, .380, 9mm, .40, .45, 12 gauge

those are your most popular calibers so if you stocked all of that youd have a lot to barter with. so many firearms use these calibers most people on this board have something in a few of these.

Just so ya'll know, this thread has me looking for a little bolt action .22 short/long/lr gun. I went to several pawn shops in the area today and will be attending a gun show tomorrow.

When the SHTF I think maybe showing someone what you have for barter or even people finding out you have "stuff" for barter will be very unwise. I've read some details on other countries when things got rough in modern times. The bad guys don't have their names on their jerseys.

I would think shotguns valuable. I probably should lay in some more slugs and buckshot.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Just so ya'll know, this thread has me looking for a little bolt action .22 short/long/lr gun. I went to several pawn shops in the area today and will be attending a gun show tomorrow.
If your looking for a good value priced .22 at walmarts they sell Mossberg 702's semi-auto for $107 and a few nice Savage models for not much more. You cant beat walmarts .22 new prices. Also the background check is done on the computer.

Well, I really want a bolt action that does s/l/lr - I already have a 10/22 that is exceedingly great and reliable, but it's not everything I want in a .22

I think I'm going to start another thread about this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back